Do you think Samsung is in the wrong to have not told us the S5 only has one radio vs two?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's only an issue with sprint. There network requires multiple radios were att Verizon and t mobile do not... Sprint should have said something instead of selling the phone and hoping the consumer doesn't notice that it doesn't work..

Posted via Android Central App

Not quite sure what you mean. The Verizon s5 has cdma, gsm, and lte radios same as the sprint s5. Since voice on both Verizon and Sprint is over cdma, the only way to get simultaneous voice and data is to have two cell paths. Verizon chose to have two cellular paths. Sprint chose to have one cellular path.

ysyty8ed.jpg

adajasaj.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean. The Verizon s5 has cdma, gsm, and lte radios same as the sprint s5. Since voice on both Verizon and Sprint is over cdma, the only way to get simultaneous voice and data is to have two paths. Verizon chose to have two paths. Sprint chose to have one path.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/ysyty8ed.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/adajasaj.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Well...that's just sad. At least I can be on WIFI, talk and surf the net but just not on 3g or 4g. I'm on WIFI 90% of the day, and when I am not on WIFI, I am in the car...probably not the best time to talk and surf the net to be honest. But still...it's like a kick to the stomach.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Well...that's just sad. At least I can be on WIFI, talk and surf the net but just not on 3g or 4g. I'm on WIFI 90% of the day, and when I am not on WIFI, I am in the car...probably not the best time to talk and surf the net to be honest. But still...it's like a kick to the stomach.

There are always data calling solutions. Sprint's first (and sadly best?) crack at this was direct Google Voice integration. But meh.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, I am no fan of Sprint, my employer pays the bill, so at least I am not the sucker paying for this miserable service.

I just want to know if at some time this will be addressed .

I personally couldn't see them adding it in future phones. I believe it will stay the way it is... Just have to wait for Sprint to play catch up.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

sparker04

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hmm interesting....I've never had a problem with it so it must be a Sprint thing. If i was a Sprint user I would be annoyed because I'm a huge multi-tasker on my phone. I'll be on the phone while texting someone or looking something on the internet while I'm on the phone. So that would be a deal breaker for me as far as Sprint goes.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

But... you might want your phone to be pulling down data to manage active routing with GPS navigation while still being able to place or receive a call (via handsfree solution, of course).

Did the S4 offer that functionality on Sprint? If so, then this scenario is akin to buying a new model of the same car you had from a couple of years ago, only to find out later that they removed air conditioning from its included features.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I've never had a situation where I needed to use the internet and talk on the phone at the same time.

So, it doesn't bother me. I had an AT&T iPhone 4S prior to my S5 and even then, when that phone/network DID support it, I never needed to use it.

It's no big deal to me.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've never had a situation where I needed to use the internet and talk on the phone at the same time.

So, it doesn't bother me. I had an AT&T iPhone 4S prior to my S5 and even then, when that phone/network DID support it, I never needed to use it.

It's no big deal to me.

Im the same!

SENT FROM MY LG G-FLEX........LIFE IS GOOD✌

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Im the same!

BUT having one radio, does that mean we can't use navigation using gps etc, and also receive or make a telephone call? If I am on business and I am using my phone as my Navigation, I need to be able to receive calls.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

It's no big deal to me.

Im the same!

So you mean to tell me that you guys have NEVER been talking to a family member, friend, associate, lover, etc...and not wanted to send them a picture of something you were seeing or experiencing at the very moment you were talking with them?!?! I do that a few times with my family/friends throughout the year. HEYY, check this out!!! :D

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
So you mean to tell me that you guys have NEVER been talking to a family member, friend, associate, lover, etc...and not wanted to send them a picture of something you were seeing or experiencing at the very moment you were talking with them?!?! I do that a few times with my family/friends throughout the year. HEYY, check this out!!! :D

Looking at my last bill: 11 minutes talk time, 3800 texts...so not really lol. I honestly don't talk very much on my cell phone.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Looking at my last bill: 11 minutes talk time, 3800 texts...so not really lol. I honestly don't talk very much on my cell phone.

I actually hate texting. I rather talk than write freakin novels of how my day is going with texts. You and I are not peas in the same pod unfortunately :p ......lol!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I definitely use it. I can surf the net while talking to people.. Or sending text messages.. Or looking for directions.. All while on a call. I definitely use my minutes.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I definitely use it. I can surf the net while talking to people.. Or sending text messages.. Or looking for directions.. All while on a call. I definitely use my minutes.

Sadly I am afraid this means I can't use Navigation and be able to receive phone calls or texts. It's my business phone, paid by my employer, so that lessens the sting. I don't know what Spring was thinking.

From Sprint: "Sprint Spark devices leverage eCSFB technology (enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) which enables single radio functionality in the handset. This allows Sprint to leverage the many benefits of Network Vision, including the ability to utilize multiple CDMA and LTE spectrum bands efficiently. Although, simultaneous voice and LTE is not supported on new Sprint Spark devices, it does provide improved coverage, quality of voice and data service, as well as improved battery performance."-Statement from Sprint

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
But I have had the need while using navigation to still be able to received a call if needed...

I use navigation all the time, when a call comes in it suspends Navigation and then when i hang up navigation is running! No inconvenience at all!

SENT FROM MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT........LIFE IS GOOD✌

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Everyone I'm friends with just posts pictures on Facebook or Instagram, tags me, and I see stuff after the fact. Or they just text me the picture.

And I find it annoying to talk to someone on the phone with the Google Maps lady interrupting with turn-by-turn directions. Plus, it's distracting and not safe to have Google Maps on while driving AND talking to someone at the same time, hands-free or not.

In fact, I think it's illegal in some states.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Everyone I'm friends with just posts pictures on Facebook or Instagram, tags me, and I see stuff after the fact. Or they just text me the picture.

And I find it annoying to talk to someone on the phone with the Google Maps lady interrupting with turn-by-turn directions. Plus, it's distracting and not safe to have Google Maps on while driving AND talking to someone at the same time, hands-free or not.

No I understand that. BUT, my fear is that using navigation I won't know that my office is trying to call me, I can pull over and or stop at the next gas station etc and know I need to call them. THAT'S a HUGE issue.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Well, I'll say this......

......its better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it! This is pretty much how I feel about sd cards and removable batteries as well. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae