Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you think Samsung is in the wrong to have not told us the S5 only has one radio vs two?

Was reading a sprint thread and the sprint moderator Said due to hardware restrictions on the S5 you can't talk and use the Internet at the same time and we never will be. I feel like they should have disclosed this.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Do you think Samsung is in the wrong to have not told us the S5 only has one radio vs two?

I never gave it a thought, and really don't care either way.

If I want the internet, I will use my desktop like I am now while I am talking to my trucker friend who will be driving until midnight.

I personally don't surf the internet from a phone, the screen is just too dinky, and the keyboards are a PITA to use..... I am a touch typist and run 120+ WPM clicking the ivories. I find cellphone keyboards painful, even SwiftKey.
    George Wilkie likes this.

Default Re: Do you think Samsung is in the wrong to have not told us the S5 only has one radio vs two?

Must be a Sprint thing because I do it all the time on my Verizon S5. I've done it twice today. And before someone asks - yes, WiFi was off and it was browsing on the LTE connection.
    Thanked by:

Yea, it must be the Sprint thing. I have AT&T and yes, you can do talk and do Internet at the same time.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T
    Thanked by:

Me to on at&t

It is a Sprint thing and their new "Spark" networks, it uses three different frequencies so the phone needed three different radios and voice and data come from only one antenna, S4s for instance could be connected to voice and data from two different antennas allowing you to surf while talking, and yes I agree Sprint should have made that information available, not to mention the problems they are having with the S5 scanning for "Spark" tri band networks and reverting to 3G since not all towers have been upgraded to full LTE on all bands (25,26 and 41), I had to manually disable two antennas to be able to use 4G, ridiculous.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Please tell me yall are joking.

It's no joke really. It's the fact

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    Please tell me yall are joking.

I'm about to give you the best advice you're ever going to get...

Switch carriers. I had Sprint for years about ten years ago and paid $1,250 in early termination fees and it was the best money I've ever spent. They're the most rancid, despicable, repugnant, deplorable company in existence. There's not enough money to the world to get me to sign up with them again. It's like they set out to achieve consumer displeasure and succeed every time.
    Thanked by:
    ItsMeMandi, mezrik, KJ78 and 4 others like this.

no its not a joke. I just posted about this on another thread yesterday. I can surf and talk at the same time on my verizon phone.

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakePleasants View Post
    I'm about to give you the best advice you're ever going to get...

Switch carriers. I had Sprint for years about ten years ago and paid $1,250 in early termination fees and it was the best money I've ever spent. They're the most rancid, despicable, repugnant, deplorable company in existence. There's not enough money to the world to get me to sign up with them again. It's like they set out to achieve consumer displeasure and succeed every time.
    Please tell us how you really feel about Sprint . ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!!
    jaltman likes this.

It's really not a "can't surf and talk at the same time" issue with Sprint, as that issue itself it's a hardware limitation inherent to its new triband network, the issue is about rolling out a new network on "selected cities" when their 4G network countrywide it's not fully deployed yet, and now they are releasing new phones like the S5 that only work fully in a handful of cities, they should never have started with "Spark" until the entire nationwide 4G network was fully deployed, when "Spark" is fully operational all across the country it will be top notch (in theory anyway) , but it won't happen before my two year contract with my S5 is up, sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacilon View Post
    It is a Sprint thing and their new "Spark" networks, it uses three different frequencies so the phone needed three different radios and voice and data come from only one antenna, S4s for instance could be connected to voice and data from two different antennas allowing you to surf while talking, and yes I agree Sprint should have made that information available, not to mention the problems they are having with the S5 scanning for "Spark" tri band networks and reverting to 3G since not all towers have been upgraded to full LTE on all bands (25,26 and 41), I had to manually disable two antennas to be able to use 4G, ridiculous.

The reason why it can't do simultaneous voice and data is because Sprint chose to implement only one cellular pathway. With the same antennas, if they created another pathway then they can offer simultaneous voice and data on band 41 . or they can split antenna 1 into two separate antennas and use a second pathway dedicated to voice.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by 2:
    fofjjsr, Darth Spock and Almeuit like this.

It's only an issue with sprint. There network requires multiple radios were att Verizon and t mobile do not... Sprint should have said something instead of selling the phone and hoping the consumer doesn't notice that it doesn't work..

It's sad. I wouldn't put up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JakePleasants View Post
    I had Sprint for years about ten years ago and paid $1,250 in early termination fees and it was the best money I've ever spent. They're the most rancid, despicable, repugnant, deplorable company in existence. There's not enough money to the world to get me to sign up with them again. It's like they set out to achieve consumer displeasure and succeed every time.
    and then there is AT&T vying for that spot daily
    Jillxz likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

So for right now I need to be on WIFI to be able to talk and use the internet...wow....and yet the S3 I had could do it off wifi on 3g or 4g ....

Will Spark resolve this? It's only a big issue because I feel like Sprint should have said something...I mean they promoted the S3 for being able to talk and use the internet.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear8 View Post
    and then there is AT&T vying for that spot daily
    JD Power sure hasn't felt that way for the past two years in a row.

Do you think Samsung is in the wrong to have not told us the S5 only has one radio vs two?-daf10ccf1a47219b7309d1ef086aef49-600x800.jpg

Do you think Samsung is in the wrong to have not told us the S5 only has one radio vs two?-bd195c0f8ef115c3c63372c121f47634x-600x800.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The reason why it can't do simultaneous voice and data is because Sprint chose to implement only one cellular pathway. With the same antennas, if they created another pathway then they can offer simultaneous voice and data on band 41 . or they can split antenna 1 into two separate antennas and use a second pathway dedicated to voice.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/aqybu4y5.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/ny7aze8y.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/udu8u8er.jpg

Exactly this .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Exactly this .

Trust me, I am no fan of Sprint, my employer pays the bill, so at least I am not the sucker paying for this miserable service.

I just want to know if at some time this will be addressed .

Quote Originally Posted by schwanz583 View Post
    It's only an issue with sprint. There network requires multiple radios were att Verizon and t mobile do not... Sprint should have said something instead of selling the phone and hoping the consumer doesn't notice that it doesn't work..

Not quite sure what you mean. The Verizon s5 has cdma, gsm, and lte radios same as the sprint s5. Since voice on both Verizon and Sprint is over cdma, the only way to get simultaneous voice and data is to have two cell paths. Verizon chose to have two cellular paths. Sprint chose to have one cellular path.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean. The Verizon s5 has cdma, gsm, and lte radios same as the sprint s5. Since voice on both Verizon and Sprint is over cdma, the only way to get simultaneous voice and data is to have two paths. Verizon chose to have two paths. Sprint chose to have one path.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/ysyty8ed.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/adajasaj.jpg

Well...that's just sad. At least I can be on WIFI, talk and surf the net but just not on 3g or 4g. I'm on WIFI 90% of the day, and when I am not on WIFI, I am in the car...probably not the best time to talk and surf the net to be honest. But still...it's like a kick to the stomach.

Well...that's just sad. At least I can be on WIFI, talk and surf the net but just not on 3g or 4g. I'm on WIFI 90% of the day, and when I am not on WIFI, I am in the car...probably not the best time to talk and surf the net to be honest. But still...it's like a kick to the stomach.
    There are always data calling solutions. Sprint's first (and sadly best?) crack at this was direct Google Voice integration. But meh.

Trust me, I am no fan of Sprint, my employer pays the bill, so at least I am not the sucker paying for this miserable service.

I just want to know if at some time this will be addressed .
    I personally couldn't see them adding it in future phones. I believe it will stay the way it is... Just have to wait for Sprint to play catch up.

Hmm interesting....I've never had a problem with it so it must be a Sprint thing. If i was a Sprint user I would be annoyed because I'm a huge multi-tasker on my phone. I'll be on the phone while texting someone or looking something on the internet while I'm on the phone. So that would be a deal breaker for me as far as Sprint goes.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast