Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Opera Vs. Dolphin Browsers And Battery Usage

I was quite happy with Opera until I began noticing that it was right behind Android System in battery use percentage when I opened up the battery setting. And that wasn't with a ton of internet surfing. I noticed this for about a week so I monitered it and day after day the findings were consistent. So I switched over to Dolphin and I noticed that this seemed to draw almost no battery power.

They both handle flash content, the both do text reflow (although I think Opera does it somewhat more smoothly) and they both allow tons of tabs to be opened at the same time. In terms of rendering websites I'd say it's pretty much of a tie as I really don't notice either of them being speedier than the other. Opera seems overall to be a bit smoother and more polished and I like the user interface a tiny bit better than Dolphin but that may just be that I've used it more so I'm more familiar with the UI.

But the difference in battery draw is pretty dramatic.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed differential power usage with different browsers.

Global Posts
    8,718 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Opera Vs. Dolphin Browsers And Battery Usage

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    I was quite happy with Opera until I began noticing that it was right behind Android System in battery use percentage when I opened up the battery setting. And that wasn't with a ton of internet surfing. I noticed this for about a week so I monitered it and day after day the findings were consistent. So I switched over to Dolphin and I noticed that this seemed to draw almost no battery power.

They both handle flash content, the both do text reflow (although I think Opera does it somewhat more smoothly) and they both allow tons of tabs to be opened at the same time. In terms of rendering websites I'd say it's pretty much of a tie as I really don't notice either of them being speedier than the other. Opera seems overall to be a bit smoother and more polished and I like the user interface a tiny bit better than Dolphin but that may just be that I've used it more so I'm more familiar with the UI.

But the difference in battery draw is pretty dramatic.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed differential power usage with different browsers.
    Are you seeing actual battery improvements or using the battery usage screen to make that call? It's been a long time since I used either browser, but never really noticed battery drain with one over the other.

Aside from the battery, are you enjoying Dolphin more than Opera?