Galaxy S5 set warranty bit: kernel

Robin Skaggs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I'm new at this and looking for some help. My rooted S5 is stuck on the startup screen with set warranty bit: kernel in yellow at the top left. I've tried flashing the stock firmware in Odin, but then I get a recovery error and have to flash a recovery. I've been using philz and as soon as I flash that it goes right back to the startup with the kernel message. I've been unable to use my phone for 2 days. I've tried to flash a few kernels in Odin but they either give me a md5 binary error or freeze Odin altogether. Please help!! Any suggestions are welcome!

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The message means you tripped Knox, which of course you did by rooting. You are probably best off going over to the xda developer forum and see if you can find a fix over there.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
That kernel bit will always be there, it is there on mine to, everything works.

Go to xda and look for your phones stock image and flash it with oding

pjwbur

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
I have a similar problem. Galaxy S5, not rooted, boot to Set Warranty Bit : kernel in the top left corner. I cannot get it to boot to recovery menu. Every time I try, only the Set Warranty Bit : kernel comes up. The device is now out of warranty, so I can't take it in for repair. Any suggestions?

Andy Berlin

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
If you want to keep your data,i would first install the TWRP Recovery. Just install the Samsung USB-Driver and Odin on your PC.
Then load the TWRP Recovery file in Odin (for my G900FD twrp-3.0.2-1-klteduos.img.tar works fine, you find the latest TWRP for your device on https://twrp.me/Devices/) and install the file (Start your device in download-mode, start Odin, connect device to PC and then start installation in Odin). Disconnect your Device, boot into Recovery Mode and you will see the TWRP recovery menu. Press Wipe-button, press advanced wipe, choose cache and Dalvik / Art Cache and wipe the two Caches. In the same menu, then press the button repair data system. Then Press Mount and mount all possible partitions. Dont forget to insert micro-SD Card before because you need it for the backup.Finally press Backup and choose data, system and boot partitions to backup. Restart your device and look whats happen. If the device doesnt boot, start again in Recovery-mode. In advanced settings you find ADB Sideload. Enable it. (In this advanced settings-menu you have also data-manager and terminal access to your phone, if you can use it.). Quit the Recovery-menu and start System again.If the problem persists and your phone is not able to boot correctly, then you have to make a firmware reset, which you can also start from TWRP-menu "Wipe". If this firmware reset works, you can restore all your data easy with the TWRP-backup. If not, you have to install the original firmware from Samsung.
But after you can install TWRP again and restoe your data. (Its also possible to restore your backup with Apps from playstore, but i dont know exactly which Apps are working on a non-rooted device.)

matthewjtan

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Did you manage to fix this Set Warranty Bit : kernel issue?

I have a similar problem. Galaxy S5, not rooted, boot to Set Warranty Bit : kernel in the top left corner. I cannot get it to boot to recovery menu. Every time I try, only the Set Warranty Bit : kernel comes up. The device is now out of warranty, so I can't take it in for repair. Any suggestions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon