S5 Gallery lags and then crashes...wtf?

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy S5 (Verizon) for nearly 2 months now and never had a problem with it. Now all the sudden (and for apparently no reason) every time I open the gallery it - 1) Lags, and takes a good 10 seconds to open. and 2.) Only stays open for about 30 seconds and then completely crashes. I tried clearing the data and the cache and that didn't help. I haven't received any software updates recently, so I don't understand why this is happening all the sudden. Any ideas and help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy S5 (Verizon) for nearly 2 months now and never had a problem with it. Now all the sudden (and for apparently no reason) every time I open the gallery it - 1) Lags, and takes a good 10 seconds to open. and 2.) Only stays open for about 30 seconds and then completely crashes. I tried clearing the data and the cache and that didn't help. I haven't received any software updates recently, so I don't understand why this is happening all the sudden. Any ideas and help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

If you have a SD card it maybe playing up, take it out and see if it still crashes

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I tried that and I didn't notice any change. When I press on the Gallery icon, it takes forever to open and it still crashes. It did seem to stay open longer with the SD card out, but it still ended up crashing. Grrr...this is so frustrating! Any chance it could be SIM Card related??

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I tried that and I didn't notice any change. When I press on the Gallery icon, it takes forever to open and it still crashes. It did seem to stay open longer with the SD card out, but it still ended up crashing. Grrr...this is so frustrating! Any chance it could be SIM Card related??

I would be most surprised if it was

Go to settings/applications/gallery and turn of synch etc in case it's trying to do something strange

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I would be most surprised if it was

Go to settings/applications/gallery and turn of synch etc in case it's trying to do something strange

Thanks again! I tried that as well and it's still crashing. I'm beginning to think that I may have gotten a small update or something? If it came overnight I would not have noticed it. I'm thinking this though because I noticed that several of my custom ringtones for friends are now switched to defualt ringtones. How can that even happen unless something switched them? Grrr. I don't know whats going on. I've never had this happen before. I really don't want to have to reset the phone to stock because its so damn annoying to put everything back on your phone. I'm hoping that I get a new update that fixes the issue. Maybe others are having the same problems? Did anyone else get an update or something? I tried googling it but found nothing...

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I would try isolating the situation. DL 'Quickpic' in the playstore and see if you still get the same problem. I started using Quickpic on my S3 because the native gallery app was just too slow when I started having more content. If you STILL get the same results with Quickpic then it may possibly be a system problem which may require you to either dig deeper or FR to resolve your issue. Let us know what happens. Good luck!

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok I downloaded Quickpic and had it open for a good 2 minutes and it didn't crash...interesting. What does this mean? lol. I really don't want to have to wipe my phone back to stock. I was recently on vacation and using a lot of open wifi...any chance its some kind of bug? I tried running AVG virus on my phone and it detected nothing...any thoughts on that??

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
GrooveRite - Good call. i didn't think to do that. i'll give it a try and see what happens! Thanks!

No prob man! I know its not technically a fix but rather an alternate solution but its worth a try. I have A LOT of wallpapers, pictures, videos, etc, on my SD card and the native gallery app doesn't seem to handle all of it well. My gallery app will lag and be sluggish but it doesn't crash like your situation which may be a different problem for you than mine. I think its one of the main reason many users prefer Quickpic over the native gallery app. Anyhow, let us know what happens. :)

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I might try going in to settings, applications, application manager, running, and clear cache, clear data, and force stop app. Uninstall updates there if it is an option. Restart the phone and see what happens. I'm not sure what is deleted when you clear data for the gallery app so don't blame me if it does something crazy like delete all of your pictures.

The next step would probably be a factory data reset. PITA I know but this is sometimes what you have to do with android.

What carrier are you with?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok I downloaded Quickpic and had it open for a good 2 minutes and it didn't crash...interesting. What does this mean? lol. I really don't want to have to wipe my phone back to stock. I was recently on vacation and using a lot of open wifi...any chance its some kind of bug? I tried running AVG virus on my phone and it detected nothing...any thoughts on that??

It may possibly be a rogue app you installed thats acting up or something else. I know you don't want to do this but usually when I come across issues that I absolutely can't resolve, I back up everything important in my phone and just factory reset. I wish I could help you further but hopefully someone else who may have experienced a problem similar to yours may help you more. Good luck!

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I already tried all that, except uninstall updates (there's no option for that) and nothing happened. It didn't delete any of my pictures or anything either. I'm with Verizon.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I already tried all that, except uninstall updates (there's no option for that) and nothing happened. It didn't delete any of my pictures or anything either. I'm with Verizon.

Have you also disabled all cloud and back up apps too ?

Incase google or drop box is still trying to save all your pics somewhere

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Have you also disabled all cloud and back up apps too ?

Incase google or drop box is still trying to save all your pics somewhere

If I go to setting - backup and reset, the BACK UP MY DATA and AUTOMATIC RESTORE are both checked. I should uncheck them? I'm not doubting you, but what does that have to do with gallery? LOL I wish I was more tech savy! My bf has the same phone and his is fine...

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
If I go to setting - backup and reset, the BACK UP MY DATA and AUTOMATIC RESTORE are both checked. I should uncheck them? I'm not doubting you, but what does that have to do with gallery? LOL I wish I was more tech savy! My bf has the same phone and his is fine...

My thinking was google or say dropbox was trying to synch or save your files to a cloud account but working too slow or got bogged down somehow

Lets try a simpler way, switch to airplane mode and see if you have same problem

then try

Go to settings/applications/gallery and make sure all tags are off if you have an account listed eg google tap that and see what photos are backed up and synched and switch them off and try

Remember to swich them back on later or backup using kies just incase

go to my files and see how much space your images occupy, then tap on the green icon circle and they should list with a small image of each file, see if that works ok to prove your images can be seen ok etc, then tap on an image and see if pictures can be viewed this way

Last edited:

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My thinking was google or say dropbox was trying to synch or save your files to a cloud account but working too slow or got bogged down somehow

Lets try a simpler way, switch to airplane mode and see if you have same problem

then try

Go to settings/applications/gallery and make sure all tags are off if you have an account listed eg google tap that and see what photos are backed up and synched and switch them off and try

Remember to swich them back on later or backup using kies just incase

WOW! That's why I need this forum! I wouldn't even have thought to put the phone on airplane mode and then try it! I did that and it STILL crashed. And all Tags are off. :( damnit!!

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
WOW! That's why I need this forum! I wouldn't even have thought to put the phone on airplane mode and then try it! I did that and it STILL crashed. And all Tags are off. :( damnit!!

go to settings/applications/application manager/ scroll over to all, scroll down to gallery and clear cache and clear data (don't wory about warning) and force stop

then go and try :)

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Didn't work. Looks like a hard reset might be my only option. I think I'm just going to use QuickPic for now since that seems to be working fine. I'm hoping the issue will be fixed with an upcoming software update or something.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000