Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ericmazariegos
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2, which one should I buy?

I just sold my iPhone 4S (ugh) a couple of days ago and I'm in the market for a new phone. Apple is out of the question, so I decided to dwelve into the Android market and came out with a couple of choices: Sony's Xperia Z2 and Samsung's Galaxy S5 and so I joined the forum looking for advice from the users.

Ok, this is what I'm looking for in a phone:

Decent specs to run today's most demanding games and apps smoothly

A phone that could last 2-3 years without becoming very outdated being able to run the latest apps and games and have an up to date Android firmware.

The one devs favour in terms of optimization.

Those were pretty much all my needs. Looking back at S5, it only has 2 gigs of RAM which is kind of petty because it's the same as the two-year old S3, but is it a huge difference between Z2's 3GB? Do you notice the lack of RAM when using your S5? Also, how are the onscreen buttons of Z2? Are they comfortable to use because that is my biggest problem with Z2.

Thanks for taking your time and posting your opinions

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2, which one should I buy?

Ok so one of your points is that you want a phone that will still remain relevant two or three years from now, and to that I have to say : do you see any Sony phones from two years ago that are still relevant today? Nope. On the other hand, what about Samsung? Yep. The Galaxy S3 is the most popular android handset ever and it is still quite capable even today! So with that in mind, a phone like the S5 should remain usable for much longer. The specs war is going to die out soon imo and most phones will be the same on the inside. What matters then is how tou like the user experience, do you prefer TouchWiz or do you prefer the user interface on Sony devices? Personally I find the current TouchWiz to be such eye candy that I even like it better than stock android. The 2gb of RAM is absolutely sufficient and I don't see performance issues in everyday use. But yeah, I would say go with the S5. It is a super popular phone and if you have problems with it, getting a new one or getting advice for it would be easy compared to something not really mainstream like the Z2. Also, the S5 is considerably smaller than the Z2, which makes it easier to handle. Personally I think the S5 looks better too (in white). Good luck on your decision!
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftHax View Post
    I just sold my iPhone 4S (ugh) a couple of days ago and I'm in the market for a new phone. Apple is out of the question, so I decided to dwelve into the Android market and came out with a couple of choices: Sony's Xperia Z2 and Samsung's Galaxy S5 and so I joined the forum looking for advice from the users.

Ok, this is what I'm looking for in a phone:

Decent specs to run today's most demanding games and apps smoothly

A phone that could last 2-3 years without becoming very outdated being able to run the latest apps and games and have an up to date Android firmware.

The one devs favour in terms of optimization.

Those were pretty much all my needs. Looking back at S5, it only has 2 gigs of RAM which is kind of petty because it's the same as the two-year old S3, but is it a huge difference between Z2's 3GB? Do you notice the lack of RAM when using your S5? Also, how are the onscreen buttons of Z2? Are they comfortable to use because that is my biggest problem with Z2.

Thanks for taking your time and posting your opinions
    I think that you would be hard pressed to find a lot of people that would choose the Samsung over the Sony. With the exception of people in a Samsung forum

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by ericmazariegos View Post
    Ok so one of your points is that you want a phone that will still remain relevant two or three years from now, and to that I have to say : do you see any Sony phones from two years ago that are still relevant today? Nope. On the other hand, what about Samsung? Yep. The Galaxy S3 is the most popular android handset ever and it is still quite capable even today! So with that in mind, a phone like the S5 should remain usable for much longer. The specs war is going to die out soon imo and most phones will be the same on the inside. What matters then is how tou like the user experience, do you prefer TouchWiz or do you prefer the user interface on Sony devices? Personally I find the current TouchWiz to be such eye candy that I even like it better than stock android. The 2gb of RAM is absolutely sufficient and I don't see performance issues in everyday use. But yeah, I would say go with the S5. It is a super popular phone and if you have problems with it, getting a new one or getting advice for it would be easy compared to something not really mainstream like the Z2. Also, the S5 is considerably smaller than the Z2, which makes it easier to handle. Personally I think the S5 looks better too (in white). Good luck on your decision!
    Popularity-wise, it's obvious that Samsung wins it by a long shot with all their advertising. I don't think Sony made high-end phones back then, did they? Samsung on the other hand, even the S2 still works and looks nice. I haven't had any experience using either of the companies smartphones. I heard TouchWiz makes Samsung devices lag a bit and takes a lot of resources whereas Sony's devices are closer to stock.

I don't mind the Z2's bigger screen at all, I kind of take it as a perk.

I will just say that I have a Galaxy S phone, the original Galaxy in the series.

got it 3 years ago and I watched the S2, S3, S4 as they arrived on the scene.
    none of those phones convinced me that I was missing anything serious.

I used that 'S' phone right up until I finally bought my S5 as I do believe that the "Feature Set" is just about stabilized between the smartphones. The S5 will still be a very stable and usable phone 5 years from now. I would not worry about it being capable in that regard.

each brand is going to have their own User Interface touches that will endear them to a segment of the population. I have an old Sony 1x phone that still works but I doubt the battery is any good today.

You are going to have to go to Best Buy and stand at their counter for about 4 hours. Play with each of the two phones that you talked about and see which one endears itself to you.

both will still be working just fine 3 to 5 years from now.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off=Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on=WiFi Data ON
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    I will just say that I have a Galaxy S phone, the original Galaxy in the series.

got it 3 years ago and I watched the S2, S3, S4 as they arrived on the scene.
    none of those phones convinced me that I was missing anything serious.

I used that 'S' phone right up until I finally bought my S5 as I do believe that the "Feature Set" is just about stabilized between the smartphones. The S5 will still be a very stable and usable phone 5 years from now. I would not worry about it being capable in that regard.

each brand is going to have their own User Interface touches that will endear them to a segment of the population. I have an old Sony 1x phone that still works but I doubt the battery is any good today.

You are going to have to go to Best Buy and stand at their counter for about 4 hours. Play with each of the two phones that you talked about and see which one endears itself to you.

both will still be working just fine 3 to 5 years from now.
    I have yet to try out the Z2, but you make a good point. I'll take some time trying both out. I might even consider the upcoming LG G3. I'm leaning more towards Sony though.

If you're planning on having the phone for two to three years I would go with the one with a replaceable battery.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,701 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

People keep phones two to three years? J/k

OP, try the S5 on for size and see what you think. After all, it's your device.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    People keep phones two to three years? J/k

I don't change phones just because there is a new gadget out there.

I used my Galaxy S for 3 years before I bought the S5. I never felt like I was really missing out on anything important.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    I don't change phones just because there is a new gadget out there.

I used my Galaxy S for 3 years before I bought the S5. I never felt like I was really missing out on anything important.
    Very refreshing to see a android enthusiast in the community who doesn't feel the need to change their phones every few months. I confess that i am one of those enthusiasts who change their phones at regular intervals but felt good reading a perspective from the other side ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I have yet to try the Z2, but the S5 has proven itself to be quite comfortable and by the looks of it I think it will be the better one to hold in the hand. What bugs me are all the duplicated apps Samsung adds, there like two browsers, two mails, two music apps which aren't present in Z2 as far as I know.

For long term id personally go for the one with a removable battery and no glass back, S5 will also see more support in the future as it will be much more popular.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by _Zguy__ View Post
    For long term id personally go for the one with a removable battery and no glass back, S5 will also see more support in the future as it will be much more popular.
    This is the one thing I'm worried about most. Do developers ditch phones like that?

Quote Originally Posted by ericmazariegos View Post
    The Galaxy S3 is the most popular android handset ever and it is still quite capable even today! So with that in mind, a phone like the S5 should remain usable for much longer.
    Absolutely!! So much so in fact that I've been able to comfortably wait for a new device this year. I've had my S3 since July '12! Heck, I might even wait till next year if I'm not happy with whats available this year!

I agree, I used my Galaxy 'S' for 3 years before the itch to get "the latest" model was strong enough to debit my bank account.