Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JakePleasants
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can not access my S5 through my iMac

Before I get to the problem let me say this...no judging. I've had the iMac since 2006 so its old but it is running the newest version of
    Mavericks from Apple. I used to run a iPhone 4s for at least the last 2 years. Just upgraded to the Galaxy S5 because what everyone told me was that it was / is / will be one of the best phones to use and I was just plain tired of Apple not giving me what I wanted in a phone. More flexibility, appearance can be changed up anytime you want, storage up to 128GB and it was just plain "A better phone".
    This is what I was told and truth be told I believe it, I've only had it for a month but I really like it.
    Now, the problem at hand. When I first plugged it into the iMac, Amazon File Transfer app would open and the phone would be
    ready for me to transfer files back and forth. I proceeded to move lots of songs over to it but fell short of the whole collection being moved over. Last week I installed a launcher app, Action Launcher Pro. I found that I liked it albeit not what I REALLY wanted, so I uninstalled it. Since then I have not been able to move any files to or from the S5. I've tried using WIFI transfer apps but none seem to work, even paid for one app because it said the files were too big to move, after buying it it would move anything at all (small or large). Just for ****s n giggles I plugged it into my old Dell notebook...of course it had NO trouble accessing the files!
    I have a 64GB Sandisk microSDXC card in it, my iPhone was 64GB so I wasn't going to settle for less!
    The files that are on the card (music, docs and PDF's and APP's) can and are used daily / weekly so not a problem with the card.
    Don't know what to do about this, I figure its an Apple problem but was hoping someone here might know of the answer and help me out.
    Really want this to work but losing hope.
    Thx in advance folks.

Default Re: Can not access my S5 through my iMac

there was a thread on this topic in the last few days... Wish I could remember what it was called.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off=Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on=WiFi Data ON
    Thanked by:

If you're storing all your music on your Micro SD card, then why don't you just get an adapter and pop it in your iMac? I'm not sure if your iMac has an SD card slot as my MacBook Pro does, but if not then adapters are very inexpensive. It'll just show up on your homescreen as a removable storage device and you'll be able to freely transfer your music and other data. Once you've finished, just pop it back in your S5 and you'll be good to go!
    Thanked by:
    sparker04 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

@JakePleasants, Didn't work but it did show me something I hadn't noticed before. Says that the card is not compatible with system...somehow it must have been converted into a windows only card?? Don't know but at least I can fix (in a matter of speaking) this. Just have to back up all the apps to the phone off the card and then reformat. It'll mean moving the music and photos back onto the card but at least it should be a viable card for the iMac again. Thanks all.
    @ AZgl1500, if you run across that thread again, I'm looking for it also, could you reply here with the name?? I'd be curious to see what they figured out also.

Quote Originally Posted by grenfrog00 View Post
    @JakePleasants, Didn't work but it did show me something I hadn't noticed before. Says that the card is not compatible with system...somehow it must have been converted into a windows only card?? Don't know but at least I can fix (in a matter of speaking) this. Just have to back up all the apps to the phone off the card and then reformat. It'll mean moving the music and photos back onto the card but at least it should be a viable card for the iMac again. Thanks all.
    @ AZgl1500, if you run across that thread again, I'm looking for it also, could you reply here with the name?? I'd be curious to see what they figured out also.
    No problem, glad it helped in a roundabout way. Hopefully reformatting will solve your problem.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well, formatted in both the iMac then checked , didn't work. Formatted on phone and then checked...didn't work.
    So if anyone has ideas out the let me know...feeling sad :-(

is your card visible to the imac in disk utility? and you said you were able to format it? what type of file system did you use?

I believe it should be an mbr partition and should be formatted as fat, but not quite sure.

all the SD cards I have used in my phones have never formatted them, just out of the box and popped it in the phone.

I usually pop mine out to copy new music over, I but it in a Microsdhc usb adapter and then it pops up on my mac as removable storage,

Do you have samsung Kies installed? I know that with kies installed you cannot use other apps on the mac like android file transfer.

If you have kies installed, try uninstalling it and see if you can then use the file transfer program you had before to transfer files.

If kies is uninstalled you can also try to locate a program called android file transfer.

ISYNCR

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

APP STORE

GET IT SON

Install Google Drive on your iMac and on your s5. Then just move files there and they will be in the other device. Specify to only use WiFi for these transfers so you don't waste you data limits.

My friend had that problem but I'm not sure which Mac she had. But you're running on the newest Mavericks so I doubt that's the problem. I agree with @sirmaru, google drive works great for almost anything so hopefully that works!

for photos, use Iphoto. Set your phone's USB PC Connection to "Camera PTP"

I'm not sure about music.

Cheers