Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Airplane mode

Hi all,

Yet another question. My new place has zero signal for reception, seeing that I'm down in a basement apartment. Unfortunately my S5 won't even get a blip of signal and sits at no service. So logically I would think to put the phone into airplane mode to avoid searching for the signal constantly. I found when my phone was connected to Wi-Fi and switched to airplane mode the battery was dying father quickly. Most definitely faster than usual, and I was on airplane mode! This should make the battery last longer ya? Anyways, I feel like it was Wi-Fi but when I went to see my battery stats it stated that the Android OS was running very high. So I thought maybe this would be the cause. Anyways, has anyone else run into this issue or experienced anything of like this when on airplane mode and Wi-Fi, of course in a poor coverage area? I feel like the battery lasts longer with airplane mode of and the phone during in no service. Check out these screen shots. Unfortunately I did not get a short of the stats with airplane mode on, this is the last 10 hours. Let me know!! Thanks!

Sent from my S5 via AC Forum App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airplane mode-1401079614835.jpg   Airplane mode-1401079630464.jpg  

Default Re: Airplane mode

Have you tried rebooting and seeing how that affects the Android OS activity and battery usage? It would also still help to see a screenshot of the battery stats after a few hours with Airplane Mode on.

Get a Network Extender for your basement home location.

It will bring in your carrier's signal by using the internet.

I have one in my home for the same reason, no good outside signals.

I'm on Verizon, but here is a link for the one on Sprint

Sprint AIRAVE Wireless In-Home Signal Booster for Voice & Data
    Verizon Galaxy S5

If I helped you, Please click
    Thanks button
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Get a Network Extender for your basement home location.

It will bring in your carrier's signal by using the internet.

I have one in my home for the same reason, no good outside signals.

I'm on Verizon, but here is a link for the one on Sprint

Sprint AIRAVE Wireless In-Home Signal Booster for Voice & Data
    Thanks, I'm on Telus and my internet runs via wireless tower through the provider Nexicom. Not sure if this device would work with a wireless internet radio.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Have you tried rebooting and seeing how that affects the Android OS activity and battery usage? It would also still help to see a screenshot of the battery stats after a few hours with Airplane Mode on.
    Tried rebooting but didn't notice much of a difference, here's the screen shots, tell me what you think. Keep in mind that the majority of my day is with fine coverage, you'll see where I have turned airplane mode on, the battery starts depleting quicker than normal when I have airplane mode on. Let me know,

Thanks for all your help!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airplane mode-1401160155310.jpg   Airplane mode-1401160167342.jpg  

From looking at that graph, I wouldn't say that the slope of the battery drain changes that much after turning on Airplane Mode. That increased dip at the very end corresponds to a period of screen-on time and some kind of activity, so that can also be explained.

What's your total screen-on time?

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    Thanks, I'm on Telus and my internet runs via wireless tower through the provider Nexicom. Not sure if this device would work with a wireless internet radio.

No, Network Extenders require a direct internet connection via cable, etc...
    Mine is going thru my AT&T DSL riding on my telephone line. Hate DSL but it is all I have available.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

Thanks button
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

From looking at that graph, I wouldn't say that the slope of the battery drain changes that much after turning on Airplane Mode. That increased dip at the very end corresponds to a period of screen-on time and some kind of activity, so that can also be explained.

What's your total screen-on time?
    Total screen on time is 2hrs 17 min. It just seems to me that airplane mode effects the battery differently when the phone is sleep. Fire example, the Android operating system jumped up to 28% the last time I checked. This only happened once airplane mode was enabled.

That's odd. Have you tried a cache partition wipe?

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Tried rebooting but didn't notice much of a difference, here's the screen shots, tell me what you think. Keep in mind that the majority of my day is with fine coverage, you'll see where I have turned airplane mode on, the battery starts depleting quicker than normal when I have airplane mode on. Let me know,

Thanks for all your help!

instead of Airplane Mode, I use Battery Doctor to turn OFF data, sync, wifi, GPS and bluetooth.

The phone still functions just fine, will make/take calls and SMS still functions.
    But the battery life is immensely extended.

My S5 only sips about 15% battery juice per day and that is with a few phone calls and SMS usage.

I easily get 3 full days of use, and usually into the 5th day before I do a recharge.

When I want something that needs DATA, takes 2 seconds to turn it ON.
    I almost never turn ON Sync, as I never read emails on the phone.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

Thanks button
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

That's odd. Have you tried a cache partition wipe?

No I haven't, should I? How do I? And what does this do?

Clearing the cache partition is always worth trying. The cache partition is where the system stores various temporary data, which can sometimes interfere with performance. You won't lose any personal data.

http://cellphoneforums.net/samsung-g...#axzz32vf9jLgg

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Clearing the cache partition is always worth trying. The cache partition is where the system stores various temporary data, which can sometimes interfere with performance. You won't lose any personal data.

http://cellphoneforums.net/samsung-g...#axzz32vf9jLgg

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!
    So I have completed this, however there was a picture of an android fallen over in the background stating error, but is a paragraph at the bottom left it stated this cache wipe partition was complete. I'm confused about this. Any ideas?

The Android on its back is normal--it should say something like "No Command." But once you get to the Recovery Menu and wipe the cache, you should then be able to select Reboot System Now. Could you do that?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

The Android on its back is normal--it should say something like "No Command." But once you get to the Recovery Menu and wipe the cache, you should then be able to select Reboot System Now. Could you do that?
    Yea the android on its back had a red error word in front of the android. After that I chose reboot now. The system rebooted itself and turned the handset back on. However, it did this so fast that it was almost like it didn't even perform the wipe. But it did say complete. I'm still noticing battery depletion after the cache wipe earlier today. Should the cache wipe show me a progress bar? Or does it just go through in literally a second?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airplane mode-1401239192399.jpg   Airplane mode-1401239202530.jpg  

Should the cache wipe show me a progress bar? Or does it just go through in literally a second?
    It depends on the device. My Nexus 7 wipes cache in only a few seconds, but my Nexus 5 takes upwards of 10 minutes. Not sure why.

I wish I could help you more, but I'm not sure what might be contributing to the drain. I realize that Android System and Android OS seem to increase in percentage battery usage after Airplane Mode, but remember that it's a percentage, so they might be rising because something else that was using battery (like the cell radio, especially if the signal is poor) is no longer active after turning on Airplane Mode. Those percentages in your screenshots aren't that unusual.
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

It depends on the device. My Nexus 7 wipes cache in only a few seconds, but my Nexus 5 takes upwards of 10 minutes. Not sure why.

I wish I could help you more, but I'm not sure what might be contributing to the drain. I realize that Android System and Android OS seem to increase in percentage battery usage after Airplane Mode, but remember that it's a percentage, so they might be rising because something else that was using battery (like the cell radio, especially if the signal is poor) is no longer active after turning on Airplane Mode. Those percentages in your screenshots aren't that unusual.
    Hmm interesting. I wonder why, maybe I should try and wipe the cache again and see what happens. I feel like the wipe didn't take place. It was literally a second and it said it was complete. However, that error on the android is the background throws me off a bit. I'm getting mixed messages. How often am I able to wipe the cache partition? Will I damage anything and hinder performance if I do this often?

The system cache partition is all temporary data, so there shouldn't be any problem if you do it often. Some people do it weekly as a routine.

Thanked by: