Why does S5 have poor video quality sending via text msg?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: S5 poor video quality when sending threw text

That is normal for MMS sadly. It's better to upload elsewhere (like YouTube) and send the person the link.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

The reason is, the file is compressed down to a smaller size so MMS can handle it easier.

The compression throws away a lot of "same type" bits and when you view the results, there is a lot of "same type" bits that all get the same exact shade of color.

Better to do as mentioned, upload to YouTube or a file host. I like file hosts better because the viewer can see the original file as photographed. YouTube does compression also.

spikman

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

That is normal for MMS sadly. It's better to upload elsewhere (like YouTube) and send the person the link.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

That is horiable then....guess I'm taking the S5 back ha

Posted via Android Central App

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

That is horiable then....guess I'm taking the S5 back ha

I'm pretty sure all phones will resize/compress videos and photos when you try to send them as an MMS.

EDIT: Yeah, MMS size appears to be limited by your carrier. It doesn't matter what phone you try to use, they will all have to resize and compress your videos in order to send. I wouldn't return the S5 over this, as whatever replacement you get will just do the same thing. http://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=mms Verizon, for example, limits them to 1.2 mb http://developer.verizon.com/conten...faqs/faq-multimedia-messaging-system-mms.html.

spikman

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm pretty sure all phones will resize/compress videos and photos when you try to send them as an MMS.

EDIT: Yeah, MMS size appears to be limited by your carrier. It doesn't matter what phone you try to use, they will all have to resize and compress your videos in order to send. I wouldn't return the S5 over this, as whatever replacement you get will do the same thing. http://developer.verizon.com/conten...faqs/faq-multimedia-messaging-system-mms.html Verizon, for example, limits them to 1.2 mb http://developer.verizon.com/conten...faqs/faq-multimedia-messaging-system-mms.html.

My iPhone s5 would send high quality video with no issues . I wish this could be fixed because I love the phone

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Did you send videos as imessages? Maybe there's no size limit with that.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

He's right. Sending video using an iPhone you will see zero quality loss. This is due to using apples servers vs your carriers.

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

I don't see why that makes or breaks having a great phone. I rarely send videos via mss, but I upload it to google drive and grab that link.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Anyone having issues sending videos threw text that are distorted and very poor quality?

It is a Galaxy. USE AND ABUSE the 50GB free Dropbox storage. Put the file to Dropbox and text them the link! It's one more step than an Apple but I prefer single-upload sharing without messing around in YouTube.

kldisantis

May 30, 2014
Visit site

Is there anyway if someone is sending me a video to get it to come through clearer? Im also new to the android and am loving everything except this.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Is there anyway if someone is sending me a video to get it to come through clearer? Im also new to the android and am loving everything except this.

They should use a better delivery method. American MMS is terrible on nearly all carriers?

how do i save a video to dropbox?

Make sure the full Dropbox app is installed and you have an account linked in Cloud or Accounts, cannot remember which. You can 'share' to DB storage from Gallery, or set it to auto upload pics and even videos. Any file in Public can be shared as a view and download link. Any folder in Public shares all the files contained within. Very easy after the first time or two.

...and does Dropbox compress data?

It can show a reduced quality copy of a picture or video, but *the original file* is still downloadable. Great way to share 4K/UHD 500MB+ videos at original quality.

cwb615

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

Not true. I have the s5 and the iphone 5 on the same network (sprint) and the iphone sends hi res video just fine. I have tested the same video on both phones. This is definitely a android problem. I like my galaxy because of the split screen feature. But it does tend to lock up/crash often. And the video resolution it sends mms is absolutely pointless

Last edited:

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

...and does Dropbox compress data?
They might, and most likely, do some form of server side compression. You won't tell a difference because the server will uncompress your file as you download leading to basically the same file. In essence, no they do not compress it as you will never know as they deliver the same data you uploaded. Not sure that made sense... Hopefully it did, it's late haha :)

s_banks

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

Easier way: download a different messaging app... i use textra (full res photos and video send).

FYI on the iPhones - sending images and videos via Imessage sends fill quality. Via sms (green bubbles) it decreases in quality. Speaking from experience.

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I came to this disheartening news after a run in with a cute chick one night(not going into details)..she used her phone (an android)...all looked well, until I got it...oh well, memory is man's best friend :/

But yeah, use drop box, or youtube...I prefer drop box or straight upload to computer and emailed. Because I don't want someone seeing my families vacation video in hd..

kstah

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

iPhones use iMessage which sends pictures over your data network instead aka no MMS. Now if you send a picture from your iPhone to another phone that ISN'T an iPhone, you will get the same results as your S5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000