Media Control Lockscreen Widget "Disappearing"

Mattroid

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'll admit that I've not done a ton of trouble shooting yet as it's not a huge deal or anything, but figured I'd check to see if anyone else has had this issue or not.

I've started listening to a bunch of podcasts (mostly using Stitcher) and music (mostly using Amazon Cloud Player) and love the lock screen widget that the S5 has. However, I've noticed that sometimes it's there and sometime it's not and I'm not sure why. I can think of two possible variables:

• Fingerprint scanner lock
  • Using Nova Launcher rather than stock
I'll explain why I figure one or both of these might be related. I have my screen set to lock after 10 minutes of inactivity and as long as the fingerprint lock isn't secured, the media controls seems to be there. However, sometimes they are still there while the fingerprint lock is secured. Also, my wife uses the fingerprint lock and doesn't seem to have this issue. She does, however, use the stock TouchWiz launcher.

I've been using non-stock launchers since day one since I don't care much for TouchWiz. I use Nova now and since my wife hasn't apparently had this issue under TouchWiz, I figured this might be related. I might try switching to TW for a day or two and see if that help just to confirm, but haven't taken the time to try it out that way yet.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has run into this or not and might know what the root cause is? Originally I just assumed that it went away once the phone was fully locked, but that doesn't seem to be the case since sometimes the scanner lock is active with the controls present.Or maybe it has something to do with the clock/weather widget that the media controls covers up? Maybe something is updating there and forcing the controls out?

Mattroid

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, I thought I might have determined it was somehow related to using a bluetooth speaker, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I usually use a bluetooth speaker but I wasn't over the weekend and saw that the media controls were still on the lock screen well after the fingerprint lock has been enforced. As soon as the screen went off and I turned it on again, the controls were gone. Go figure.

Mattroid

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
After a bit more digging, it might be an issue specific to the two apps I use the most (Amazon MP3 and Stitcher). As I mentioned before, my wife hasn't had any issues with this, but she uses all different apps then I do. And then yesterday I listened to Pandora for a couple of hours and never had this issue appear. There's not much I can do about Amazon, but I could try different podcast apps and see if that's the case.

As an aside, the other thing I noticed is that when this issue does happen, it also breaks external media control as well (which makes sense I suppose). Meaning, the play/pause button on my bluetooth speaker no longer functions and neither do the controls on my Gear 2.

bille2021

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Would love to see if anyone has any advice for this. I use Google Play Music app for music and Doggcatcher for podcasts and I am getting random media control failures as well. When I say random, I mean it. I can press the power button and no controls, and sometimes if I put the screen asleep and push the power button again, the controls will be there. Seems like Android isn't giving the media controls (lockscreen, BT, and headphone buttons) the correct priority.

I just switched from a GS3 running CM11 to a stock (Unlocked and rooted) Nexus 5 running 4.4.3. I haven't had these issues on the GS3 in some time.

Thanks.

MK Redding

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here I use Power Amp for music, before that I was using doubletwist same problem. For podcasts I use Pocket cast and I have also noticed it in Audible. I believe it also disables my bose mei2 headphone remote when it is not there.

bille2021

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, as it turns out my GS III headphones stopped working all together so that could have bee a contributing factor.

I still have the issue of the the music art and controls not showing up on the lockscreen though.

Will troubleshoot farther with Bluetooth untill I get another pair of Android headphones.