After a few weeks with phone

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I am an original droid owner so please, no flames. The S5 is a good phone but certainly not a great one. Call quality on Verizon is horrible. The speaker is one of the worst out there. The OS is a bit skittish with jerky transitions. The camera is fantastic but very very slow to open. I had Nova launcher setup and the phone was pretty good with that. Having pointed out the negatives, let's talk about the pro's. The screen is beautiful. Data speeds are decent. The browser. Is very good and allows me to view pages the way I want them.
At the end of the day, I took it back and got the iPhone 5s. The Samsung, had it taken a lesson from HTC, could have been a hot seller over any other had it just changed the hardware design. The phone just looks and feels cheap. Sorry for adding more negatives but I didn't want I retype everything.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry you had a bad experience, maybe you had a defective phone. Call quality is just fine, speakers are okay, I use a JBL flip anyways, OS seems sharp, quick and responsive, no lag. Camera opens up instantly for me,....maybe you just got a lemon dude.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah my gf's speaker is horrible on her S5. We will be exchanging it today.. I really hope it's a lemon and exchanging will fix it since she uses speaker phone while driving.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah my gf's speaker is horrible on her S5. We will be exchanging it today.. I really hope it's a lemon and exchanging will fix it since she uses speaker phone while driving.

What's wrong with it? I do admit, there's not a good deal of volume lol, I have to turn down my radio if I am using navigation, but for everything else I just bluetooth it to my flip.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with it? I do admit, there's not a good deal of volume lol, I have to turn down my radio if I am using navigation, but for everything else I just bluetooth it to my flip.

It sounds like it's blown out or something. When certain things are said it distorts bad at high volumes.. My Note 3 and her previous S4 didn't do that.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or do others seem to notice most S5 complaints are for the Verizon units? Mine is AT&T and I came from an S3 just two months shy of two full years of use and don't have any of the problems many are claiming. To the contrary I've found the vibration much better, I don't miss calls due to not feeling the vibration, speaker quality is the same, and I finally don't have one annoying issue my S3 had which is the phone would swipe to ignore a call when removing it from my belt case. On my S3 this was such a problem I had to keep it in the belt case reversed so I could pull it out without it hanging up on people calling. Doesn't do that with the S5. I just have to get used to not flipping it around every time I pull it out of the case like I did with my S3.

Rev.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mine is a Verizon model and it's pretty laggy. I disabled all the bloatware I could but evidently there may be something else going on because it's been like that right out of the box. My Tegra 3 powered Surface RT puts it to shame in regards to smoothness (but certainly not speed). It's frustrating and disappointing. It would be an almost perfect phone if there wasn't so much lag.

Apps I have that are particularly bad include Facebook, NFL Mobile, Gallery, Nook, Kindle, Amazon. TouchWiz is usually slow to respond to touches, as is the Camera and Phone.

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not a verizon issue when it comes to call quality or speaker quality. All of the known issues that I bring up are across the board with every carrier. As I said, the phone is good but not great. If you have an S4 or mini, it makes zero sense to upgrade. The sales of the 5 are not strong at all. The price has dropped to 99 and I would bet it will come down more by end of summer. But hey, if you like the phone, stay with it.

Kel M

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It did set sales records already for the Galaxy phone line. Is really the best phone I ever had especially the great battery. I have a bunch of friends with IPhones 5 and 5s, they all are charging their phones constantly.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
This is my first Samsung Galaxy S device. I came from the Nexus 4. My experience with this has been nothing but absolutely positive.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I am with Verizon and I experience lag. After three weeks with the phone I am not a huge fan of TouchWiz.

Having said that the phone is great. Not perfect but it really does fulfill my needs. If it had a removable battery I would have gone with the m8.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or do others seem to notice most S5 complaints are for the Verizon units? Mine is AT&T and I came from an S3 just two months shy of two full years of use and don't have any of the problems many are claiming. To the contrary I've found the vibration much better, I don't miss calls due to not feeling the vibration, speaker quality is the same, and I finally don't have one annoying issue my S3 had which is the phone would swipe to ignore a call when removing it from my belt case. On my S3 this was such a problem I had to keep it in the belt case reversed so I could pull it out without it hanging up on people calling. Doesn't do that with the S5. I just have to get used to not flipping it around every time I pull it out of the case like I did with my S3.

Rev.

My girlfriend has been having speaker issues on Verizon... We exchanged today and I hope it fixes it.

She really relies on speaker phone... Does your really not have the issue? I am hoping this exchange fixes it (time will tell) but it does worry me.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend has been having speaker issues on Verizon... We exchanged today and I hope it fixes it.

She really relies on speaker phone... Does your really not have the issue? I am hoping this exchange fixes it (time will tell) but it does worry me.

I don't have an issue with the speaker. It's not great, but it's a lot better than the one I had on my old EVO3D. If I had to rely on it I would have went with the M8.

No phone does it all, every single one has compromises. The speaker on the S5 is not a strength.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The speaker phone is not "great" but it is acceptable and enough audio to hear him anywhere in the kitchen/dining area.

We use it on speaker a lot when talking to our son thousands of miles away.
Just remember that the speakerphone's mic is on the top of the S5.

The mic on the bottom is for normal use as a "handset".

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think my case makes the speaker distort at high volume. I took the case off last night and the speaker sounded fine. When I navigate the voice sounds off. My wife says it sounds creepy.

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The OS is just fine. I never understood the "S lag" complaint post Galaxy S3. This phone flies. The speaker quality is extremely subjective. Coming from a Nexus 4, this speaker is AMAZING. I personally love how soft the backing of the phone feels and am a fan of the aesthetic. The camera does not lag for me.