Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how to turn off sound for email notifications

Hello all.
    Im new to the android family and im trying to figure out how to turn off the notification sound when I get a new email. I can't seem to figure it out. I do not want to turn off my ringer or text though. I just get a ton of spam emails at all hours of the day. Thanks in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: how to turn off sound for email notifications

Are you using the GMAIL app or the MAIL app?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you're using Gmail, got to settings, click on the email account you want to make changes to, then tap "Inbox sound and vibrate." You'll see a section called "Sound." Change it to silent.
    Thanked by:

Cool Re: how to turn off sound for email notifications

To whomever replied
    "If you're using Gmail, got to settings, click on the email account you want to make changes to, then tap "Inbox sound and vibrate." You'll see a section called "Sound." Change it to silent."
    THANK YOU<THANK YOU< THANK YOU!!!! I got the new Galaxy Note 4 last week (I've had the galaxy note 1 since it was first released). Even the ATT folks don't know how to work it. All I want to hear is my phone ring and my calendar notification. Everything else needs to be quiet or the constant noise will drive me insane! Thought I had figured out how to set all the individual apps on "silent". Kept hearing notifications though. Finally figured out that it was the email setting, but couldn't figure out how to get to it! THANKS AGAIN!!!

this fix doesn't work on an android maxx

The only way I've found to silence an email notification is to go to /settings/sound/default notification sound/ and select 'none'.
    This of course turns off all notifications! I've tried /settings/accounts/email/account settings/gmail/notification settings/ and then tried 1.turning off email notification and 2. turning it on, but selecting a ringtone of 'silent'. Either of which would seem to be the right thing, but do absolutely nothing.
    There's nothing under /settings/apps
    Under /settings/sound/volumes/ the only choices are 1. music-video-games-etc, 2.ringtone, 3.notifications and 4. alarms. Selecting #3 shuts off all notifications, and /settings/sound/audio effects/ has nothing helpful.
    I'm running an android maxx system version 23.3.24.obake- with android version 4.4.4 build number SU5-24.
    If anyone can document (similarly) something that works I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I thought I had seen (somewhere) and set 'quiet hours' between 11pm and 6am. This does not work either, and any insights would be appreciated. TIA

Go Settings/apps/app mgr/

find the email app you are using and then turn off Notifications.
    That will stop all notifications for that app.

I never get any sound alerts for my email, and that is what I did.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON