battery draining issues

sazza85#AC

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
So, I've decided to swap from an iPhone to a s5 for various things the main one being the battery life that reviews and people rave about.

However, mine appears to be draining really fast that it makes the iPhone battery seem really good!

I've restored it back to factory settings numerous times now to no avail. I put it on charge last night and took it off about 1 am. I woke up at 3 am and the battery had drained by 8% with nothing apparent to be open. Then again at 7:46 and it is down to 84%. I checked to see what had consumed the battery and it was Google search which has now been disabled as it had consumed over 55% of the battery usage.

It's now 8:04 and I'm down to 80% any ideas?

I have ordered another battery to see if that's possibly also the cause because it's saying I only have 7 hours of usage left which isn't great at all! Which is a real shame because I actually really like this phone and if I try and even use my iPhone now it sends me bonkers

So any advice would be great

sazza85#AC

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
15 mins since I posted this and I've just played a bit of family guy quest for stuff which may I add seems really laggy and I'm down to 71% now

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Do a quick search there are already several threads on battery issues but seems like you have something major running in background on wifi

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Post a screen shot of your battery Stat page and I'm sure people will tell you what is causing your battery to drain.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
You really need to analyze what apps are consuming the power drain.

I have disabled everything on my S5 that is not needed for major communications needs.

My battery life has been greatly extended by getting rid of the extra crap that I don't want.

settings/Applications/Application Manager/Running

I got rid of HealthService, Amazon suites, just to name a few.
Amazon suites is a horrible battery hog.

Turn off Sync, WiFi and Data when you go to bed.

I use Battery Doctor to turn off background Services when they are not needed.
BD also has a couple of Widgets (not active and won't consume more power) which will switch stuff on/off.

When I put my phone to bed, I turn off DATA, Sync, WiFi at a minimum.
sometimes I leave GPS on. I always turn Bluetooth off when not using it.

Last time on charger was about 5 PM yesterday... not sure if it topped up to 100%, just grabbed it off wireless charger and ran out the door.
I just now, as I am typing, checked my phone and it is at 79% and it seems that I left WiFi, GPS and Bluetooth running last night.
Data and Sync are both turned OFF though. It is these two that are horrible users of battery power.

If you wish to see what else I have done to extend battery life, read this post.
* Apps I have turned OFF

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Also, don't forget to set "location" to power saving except for when you need it for Google navigation. And, as AZgl said, be sure to disable/force stop all crapware like Amazon stuff and ALL Samsung/Verizon stuff.

Finally, install Juice Defender (free) and set it to "Balanced" and just enjoy your phone. You should get at least 16-18 hours of moderate use on one charge. And that's about the best you can really hope for from a modern smartphone with an HD screen.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I noticed yesterday if you are on the fringe of a 4g area or in a 3g area the phone consumes a lot of the battery searching for 4g. The back cover of the phone was getting hot so I put the phone in Airplane mode to solve my issue . Phone cooled back down pretty quick .

sazza85#AC

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Well this is what my screen usage is like this is over 13 hours and my battery is down to 22%.

I will be taking everyone's advise but compared to an iPhone this is horrendous

My phone hardly has any stock apps except the Samsung ones as it's a sim free with nothing pre loaded on to it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-31-13-58-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-31-13-58-44.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 35

sazza85#AC

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I noticed yesterday if you are on the fringe of a 4g area or in a 3g area the phone consumes a lot of the battery searching for 4g. The back cover of the phone was getting hot so I put the phone in Airplane mode to solve my issue . Phone cooled back down pretty quick .

The majority of my usage has been on wifi with no sim card in the phone.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, don't forget to set "location" to power saving except for when you need it for Google navigation. And, as AZgl said, be sure to disable/force stop all crapware like Amazon stuff and ALL Samsung/Verizon stuff.

Finally, install Juice Defender (free) and set it to "Balanced" and just enjoy your phone. You should get at least 16-18 hours of moderate use on one charge. And that's about the best you can really hope for from a modern smartphone with an HD screen.

PsychDoc and I have talked quite a bit before. He prefers Juice Defender as he leaves nearly everything running.

I on the other hand take a different tack and manually shut down all of the background processes when I'm not using the phone.

For the same 16-18 hour use on one charge, my method still has 77% battery left at the same length of time.

I use Battery Doctor and I turn off Data, Sync, WiFi, Bluetooth every time the phone is asleep.
On this last charge cycle though, I left GPS on set to Lower Power Setting.

Doing it my way provides me with 3 days minimum use, and once I got 5 days and still had 15% battery left.

Here is my current screenshot as of this morning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-31-08-59-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-31-08-59-45.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 25

Kel M

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm using battery doctor too and it has helped a lot. I'm constantly getting 24 hours of a single charge. All the people at my job with iPhones are always looking for chargers lol by the middle of the day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The majority of my usage has been on wifi with no sim card in the phone.

running no sim is not normal practice and you seem to have some weather apps running and have you removed all the pre-loaded widgets ?

If you want to save battery over night just entre airplane mode no need for other software

Streaming video over wifi will consume battery power but not at the rate your seeing

factory reset time ?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
running no sim is not normal practice and you seem to have some weather apps running and have you removed all the pre-loaded widgets ?

If you want to save battery over night just entre airplane mode no need for other software

Streaming video over wifi will consume battery power but not at the rate your seeing

factory reset time ?

Quite sure he meant 'SD' card.

No SIM card means 'no service' on any carrier. :(

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Quite sure he meant 'SD' card.

No SIM card means 'no service' on any carrier. :(

I know :) and his screenshots show a signal bar but it was in reply to someone suggesting phone hunting for 3g/4g connection, which why it maybe sim not SD

But removing SD would make little sense on battery usage where sim would

sazza85#AC

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
No I meant no sim card the pics however where when I did have it in

And he is a she!

And I only have one weather app then u have battery doctor and now juice defender

sazza85#AC

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I've charged up a new battery and I'm getting the same drainage issues.

I've done what everyone has suggested within moderation to what's acceptable by me

This phone seems ultra laggy with games so it makes me think something is up with the phone

I bought it thinking it was a UK model transpires it's an import from Africa..... so I'm kicking up a fuss from where I purchased it.

It is a lovely phone however the battery life on this particular device stinks and makes my iPhone look like it's the best thing ever! At least I can get to the end of the day with 20% battery with moderate/heavy use but with this I had 18% left by 25m with light/moderate use in comparison

Oh well :(

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm using battery doctor too and it has helped a lot. I'm constantly getting 24 hours of a single charge. All the people at my job with iPhones are always looking for chargers lol by the middle of the day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

A co-worker has a Galaxy S4 and he brags about it being better than the S5... yada yada...

Couple days ago he asked me if he could borrow my battery for a bit? :'(

Um, being the polite sort I just said "don't think it will work Robert, my battery is larger than yours"...

The rest of the day you would think the world had ended.... no games, no video to watch. :mad:

davpic99

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I had problems with battery drain too and was ready to ditch this phone. Finally, I uninstalled Chrome and Google+ and the battery life has been fantastic. No more random drastic overnight battery drains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs