Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the normal for stand by time?

Left my phone off the charger over night, it was at 100% and now it show 59%, the Android OS is using a lot of power, what does everyone think?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the normal for stand by time?-1401543929817.jpg  

Default Re: Is the normal for stand by time?

That is more than my phone uses, but I have a lot of apps disabled and I control the background processes manually using Battery Doctor.

My phone was last on charger at 5 PM yesterday and still has 77% battery at 0850 AM today as I type this.

The GPS is the only thing I left on.
    Data, Sync, WiFi and Bluetooth are turned OFF.

I had a couple of telco conversations last night and several text messages.

each of our phones will use more/less battery juice depending on how you configure the phone.

Me? I am very frugal and also not into games, multi-media stuff.

Here is a few links on my configurations.

* Apps I have turned OFF

* Battery Life my way

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tterydoctor_en

Amazon Suites is the worst consumer of battery power there is. It is constantly streaming data back/forth to its' servers. Go into Settings/Application Manager/ALL and find Amazon Suites and all of the other Bloatware apps. Turn them OFF.

The most efficient Wallpaper is Black. Why? it does not need any battery power to display.

I use Screen Sleep setting of 10 minutes, but I toggle the Power Button as soon as I am through looking at the screen.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

Forgot to upload a screen shot of that.

I used WiFi last night quite a bit. Forgot about that but the screenshot reminded me of that.

Hope this is useful in comparing yours against others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the normal for stand by time?-screenshot_2014-05-31-08-59-45.jpg  
    Box Stock, not rooted

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    Left my phone off the charger over night, it was at 100% and now it show 59%, the Android OS is using a lot of power, what does everyone think?

I have two words for you: Juice Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    I have two words for you: Juice Defender.
    ONE acronym: UPSM.

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Mine is the same, OS at 17%, screen at 40% when in use.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post

All of that is from idling only? Something is definitely wrong.

Use UPSM when you sleep. I only lost 1%.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteiPadMini View Post
    Use UPSM when you sleep. I only lost 1%.
    That is poor advice unless you already know that the user's S5 has been rooted... which AFIK has not been done yet on AT&T or Verizon.

From the UPSM info list:

This app only works on the Galaxy S5 and requires root access which means your device must be rooted.

Please note that this app only adds selected apps to the list which is read by the S5 UPSM framework and has nothing to do with how the ultra power saving mode feature works. It may be possible that some apps does not work in UPSM or may have some issues working in UPSM so please know that this app has nothing to do with that.

UPSM is not the panacea you make it out to be.
    Box Stock, not rooted

I don't know what the above person is talking about... but switching UltraPower Saving Mode On just before you to go to bed results in minimal battery drain while you sleep, often times using only 1% for 8 hours of sleep. As soon as you wake up, you turn off ultra power saving mode and continue using your device as normal.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    That is poor advice unless you already know that the user's S5 has been rooted... which AFIK has not been done yet on AT&T or Verizon.

From the UPSM info list:

This app only works on the Galaxy S5 and requires root access which means your device must be rooted.

Please note that this app only adds selected apps to the list which is read by the S5 UPSM framework and has nothing to do with how the ultra power saving mode feature works. It may be possible that some apps does not work in UPSM or may have some issues working in UPSM so please know that this app has nothing to do with that.

UPSM is not the panacea you make it out to be.
    I beg to differ.

You don't have to be rooted to use the UPSM feature as it comes with the S5 alone. Even my AT&T S5 has UPSM.

Also, it is a good advice so I don't know what you are talking about. To each their own, they can choose to use it or no I've seen a lot of threads where people complain about how they lose battery life overnight as some don't charge overnight, so using UPSM does help.

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    I don't know what the above person is talking about... but switching UltraPower Saving Mode On just before you to go to bed results in minimal battery drain while you sleep, often times using only 1% for 8 hours of sleep. As soon as you wake up, you turn off ultra power saving mode and continue using your device as normal.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I definitely agree, and it is a great feature to have.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T

Mine before Doctor Battery. i have installed now Doctor Battery to increase my phone's battery life. i usually get 2 days battery time from My GALAXY S5 on normal use.
    Is the normal for stand by time?-screenshot_2014-08-24-00-27-06.jpg

My battery usually drains about 10% over night.

Posted from my S5
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.

Quote Originally Posted by aatif.bilal View Post
    Mine before Doctor Battery. i have installed now Doctor Battery to increase my phone's battery life. i usually get 2 days battery time from My GALAXY S5 on normal use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-24-00-27-06.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	133530
    Since you are willing to use Battery Doctor, as I do also.

Maybe then you would like to use a macro to take care of things for you w/o you doing it manually.

I use MacroDroid and have created 4 basic macros that accomplish the following.
    * MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

1) Screen locked: Turns OFF Data, WiFi, Sync

2) Screen unlocked: Turns ON Data, WiFi only.

3) Screen locked: Kills any apps that I might have been using. I only selected the ones that I use frequently. This stops stuff from running while the phone is supposed to be idle.

4) Screen locked: Set Ring Volume to Max, Set Notification Volume to Max.
    ..... this little macro became necessary for me because my fat fingers keep turning the volume down w/o me being aware of it. I can't afford to ever miss a phone call, and it happened a couple times because the Ringer Volume was set to zero.

I leave the GPS location on High Accuracy.
    I leave the Bluetooth ON all the time as I wear a BT earpiece a large part of the day.

Those four macros made the S5 a truly super phone for me.
    At 0500 hours I take it off the wireless charger pad and it is at 100% and ready for a long 12 hour work day.

If I don't use it for a long time, the battery is still at 98% or greater even after 5 to 7 hours of no use.
    The phone is totally idled and just sipping battery power.

But, when I want that phone to work, it is ready to go and the battery always has more power available than I will ever use in a heavy day of work.

Please, if you hate battery monitors and macros, don't bother posting here. it is against the thread's intentions. You won't change my mind ever, and the previous poster asked for help.
    Box Stock, not rooted

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

OP: Your cell phone signal appears to be very weak. The phone's radio will have to use higher power in order to maintain a usable signal to the tower.

Click on the graph and post the screen shot for more information on that.

Quote Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
    My battery usually drains about 10% over night.

Posted from my S5
    With the phone sleeping, it will drain about .3-.4% per hour. Anymore would be too much

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Since you are willing to use Battery Doctor, as I do also.

Maybe then you would like to use a macro to take care of things for you w/o you doing it manually.

I use MacroDroid and have created 4 basic macros that accomplish the following.
    * MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play
    Mine after Battery Doctor
    Is the normal for stand by time?-screenshot_2014-08-24-22-57-17.jpg

This is the same battery drain issue everybody is complaining about not only on Galaxy S5 phones, but any phone with the Android 4.4.2 operating system. It has nothing to do with which apps are running, whether Wifi, Bluetooth, Location, etc. are on, bloatware, or any other thing. "Android System" is responsible. The phone is "busy" eating up battery even when idle with the screen off. Nobody has been able to figure out why, or provide a fix. Whether it's a Samsung, HTC, or any other brand, it's a bug in the 4.4.2 software, something that developers need to fix.

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish_Love View Post
    This is the same battery drain issue everybody is complaining about not only on Galaxy S5 phones, but any phone with the Android 4.4.2 operating system. It has nothing to do with which apps are running, whether Wifi, Bluetooth, Location, etc. are on, bloatware, or any other thing. "Android System" is responsible. The phone is "busy" eating up battery even when idle with the screen off. Nobody has been able to figure out why, or provide a fix. Whether it's a Samsung, HTC, or any other brand, it's a bug in the 4.4.2 software, something that developers need to fix.
    My phone Isn't using that much tho. 50% when in idle for 8 hours is way to much!

Means it wouldn't even last a full day on standby.

Something must be wrong with his unit.

G3

Quote Originally Posted by makie View Post
    My phone Isn't using that much tho. 50% when in idle for 8 hours is way to much!

Means it wouldn't even last a full day on standby.

Something must be wrong with his unit.

G3
    I'm not sure I understand your point. Not all phones are doing it, just some. Mine is draining as bad as his.

I just charged my phone which, of course, went dead last night in the middle of the night. I left it on the charger all morning, then unplugged it at 1:32 pm. In one hour, sitting idle on the table, I have used 6% of the battery. Cell standby is 20% of battery use, Android System is 18%, Android Os 13%, Device Idle 13%...

Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish_Love View Post
    While I do not disagree with the above I have been able to greatly extend the battery life on my Galaxy S (3 years old and still working) and with my now current Galaxy S5 phone.

My main tool has been to turn off Data and WiFi when the screen is locked. ie, the phone is supposed to be idle.

On my 3 year old Galaxy S the battery needed to be charged about 3 time during a working day (12 hours) before I decided to install Battery Doctor and use its' switcher to manually turn off Data and WiFi. That 'S' phone immediately stopped using up the battery in prodigious amounts. It turned into a battery sipper and if left idle and unused it would go more than 2 full days w/o needing a recharge.

Turning off the data radios stops the phone's apps from being able to access the internet, and it stops the Data Radio from having to crank up its' transmit power to access a weak cell site. I live in a very rural area and this alone was responsible for most of my battery loss.

The Galaxy S5 if idled like I do it, can easily go 4 of 5 days between charges.

Normal use of the phone (for me) uses about 30-50 percent of the battery in 12 hours.

It is very difficult for us to directly compare our battery stats with each other because we are in different cell site environments IF we do not turn off the radios.

However, if we were to all decide to turn off the radios, then we should all be able to more or less get equal battery use. I just looked at my S5 and it is showing 95% at 5 PM and has been off charge since 0500 this morning.... that is 12 hours of idle time. That is not too shabby in anybody's language.

Recently I installed MacroDroid and use it to automatically turn off, turn on, the data radios.

YMMV but it sure works for me.
    Box Stock, not rooted

I had the same issue. I have a phone only use in the office, so everyday before I went home, I charged it to 100%. It used to consume only 10% battery overnight, now it's like only 8 or 9% when I came back to the office... quite annoying.. But this post helped a lot! Thanks guys!