Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By RavenSword
  • 2 Post By Mst99
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 2 Post By AZgl1500
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking of getting a S5.

So, right now I'm thinking of getting a S5 (or a M8) and I did have a few questions and concerns for those who have owned the phone for a bit:

1. How is the battery life? I had a nexus 5 a bit ago, but returned it because I had trouble getting through a full days use. So I'm hoping battery life on this phone is going to be better.

2. How much useable storage is on the phone? I know there isn't a 32gb option, which is the amount I usually get. So the fact that phone is only going to have a 16gb model is a bit concerning. But I honestly use streaming services for music and video more than anything today, so the main thing would be apps and games.

3. What can I store on the SD card? I know I shouldn't put games on it, but is the only thing I can put on it is music and photos?

4. Is touch wiz smooth now? I've only owned stick android devices, so I'm wondering if touch wiz is atleast smooth and good to use? I don't mind using a launcher, but would that even solve issues it might have?

5. Are you happy with the purchase over other phones such as the M8? I'm asking because those are the two phones I'm deciding between .

Default Re: Thinking of getting a S5.

I'd get the M8 for sure but for every M8 vote you'll probably get an S5 vote as well.

Try then out and pick one

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    I'd get the M8 for sure but for every M8 vote you'll probably get an S5 vote as well.

Try then out and pick one

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Only thing putting me off of the M8 is the camera. While I don't really take picture often, I'd like so ething that looks good when I do take pictures. Also, I feel better about Samsung's future than I do HTC.
    Lacesout and alonzo33 like this.

Battery life on the s5 is pretty impressive. The screen is so bright that at 50% its equivalent to my previous s3 on full. That alone makes a huge battery difference. Plus I have two extra, but one extra is more than enough. The camera is real good, especially video. The video recordings are fantastic imo.
    Touchwiz for me was fine, but I use nova prime on all my devices.
    Lacesout and alonzo33 like this.

I've been using the s5 for over a month and had problems with apps crashing and wallpaper changing on its own...

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s5

Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt503 View Post
    I've been using the s5 for over a month and had problems with apps crashing and wallpaper changing on its own...

I use SlideIT keyboard, and that's been forceclosing alot lately. I cleared cache and default and it still does it. It's not playing nice with this phone for some reason. Wish I knew why
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt503 View Post

That's odd. Haven't heard that before.

I agree, I rarely use the Camera too but want the best when I do.

Battery Life is amazing, there's only less than 10GB usable space but microSD helps. I don't go crazy with Apps so I don't care if I can't transfer them. Lag? I haven't noticed any.

I actually returned the M8 for it don't get me wrong the Build Quality and BoomSound is amazing but now that Samsung made the S5 Water Proof and Wireless Charging available it's hard to pass up. I get it I criticized making Super Phones water proof too before but the point is it's one less worry about (Rain, Toilet, etc. LOL). Also, if you're going to put a Plastic Case, what's the point.

My only issue is and there's a 10+ pages on this is the USB 3.0 Flap Cover. It may not break but if it does and this is what I hate Samsung will not cover it. It's not main reason why I paid $40 for the Wireless Back Charger but it's part of it.

Forget the dual speakers on the M8. Most people use headphones. The HD 1080p Super AMOLED screen is gorgeous. I do like the aluminum build of the M8, but I don't like the length of the device. The S5 is also a better protected device seeing how it's water and dust resistant. I would think that besides dropping a phone...water damage is the next device killer most common. You will also be impressed with the battery life on the S5. I don't use TouchWiz...I much prefer Apex as my launcher.
    Lacesout likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Forget the dual speakers on the M8. Most people use headphones. The HD 1080p Super AMOLED screen is gorgeous. I do like the aluminum build of the M8, but I don't like the length of the device. The S5 is also a better protected device seeing how it's water and dust resistant. I would think that besides dropping a phone...water damage is the next device killer most common. You will also be impressed with the battery life on the S5. I don't use TouchWiz...I much prefer Apex as my launcher.
    Using a launcher doesn't cause issues with the phone, though. I'd think it would cause conflict with the stock UI.

hey man i need your help with my s5.. whats happen is that my phone fell into a water and stop working when i sent him to a samsung labaratory they said that the usb pin was open and i for sure can tell that it was closed. but its my word against wheir..what can u suggest ..tnx man/

screen, camera, battery life and some more features are better than One. One a bit faster than S5.
    But be sure that S5 generally better than M8.
    Don't worry about battery. Ultra power save mode is very usefull.
    One has no IP certificate and also you cannot open One's back.

SM-N9000Q cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gnderildi

1. How is the battery life? I had a nexus 5 a bit ago, but returned it because I had trouble getting through a full days use. So I'm hoping battery life on this phone is going to be better.

This depends on whats apps you have running how bright you want the screen, how heavy you use it, DATA and video, etc.... Personally, I am getting three (3) days minimum and up to five (5) days sometimes. But I use a manual method of ensuring my phone does not talk to the world when the screen is locked. I will show a screen shot at the end.

2. How much useable storage is on the phone? I know there isn't a 32gb option, which is the amount I usually get. So the fact that phone is only going to have a 16gb model is a bit concerning. But I honestly use streaming services for music and video more than anything today, so the main thing would be apps and games.

My phone is showing 8+ gB remaining and do not have an SD card.

3. What can I store on the SD card? I know I shouldn't put games on it, but is the only thing I can put on it is music and photos?

Most anything you want.

4. Is touch wiz smooth now? I've only owned stick android devices, so I'm wondering if touch wiz is at least smooth and good to use? I don't mind using a launcher, but would that even solve issues it might have?

For me, there is nothing wrong with TouchWiz and it works w/o any problems. I have had my phone since 4/11.

5. Are you happy with the purchase over other phones such as the M8? I'm asking because those are the two phones I'm deciding between .

I am very happy with my phone. I looked at the M8 and rejected it for several reasons.
    1) it is not Samsung and I am used to Samsung

2) the camera on the M8 does not come close to doing what the S5 camera can do.

3) the battery life on the S5 is superb, at least for me it is. See screen shot.

If you want to know how I did this, ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking of getting a S5.-screenshot_2014-06-01-05-02-40.jpg  
    SpasticPat and Lacesout like this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

So, here's something a bit weird: I went into the AT&T store today to ask about how much the S5 would be on art next and to plat around a bit more with it. I asked if the phone was available in 32gb storage configuration, and they said it was but I had to order it in store and it would arrive in about 3 days. Honestly, it was a half serious question because I thought the 32gb model wasn't available anywhere yet. But apparently it is? Are these guys full of it or can you really order the 32 gb model?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Only main thing worrying me is storage space. Looking at what I had on my nexus 7. I had like 9gbs of stuff on it, but that including all my games. After some cleaning up, I brought it to 6gbs used or so. Pretty much that's what would be on my phone. Honestly, I'd just hate to hit a wall. And as far as I can tell you really can only put music video and photos on the SD Card, and I use streaming for that and cloud services.
    Banned

I would also take a hard look at the LG G3

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I really do enjoy my S5 but with my upgrade coming up I am considering the LG G3 and I've read so many impressive things about the M8 it's making it hard for me to choose! I think most of my frustrations came with the new update for the S5. It really kind of messed things up.

I could not be happier with my S5. The battery lasts me two days and I run it hard with the screen brightness as high as it will go.

I love the camera on the S5. It takes great pictures and is very snappy. I also dig the fingerprint lock.