Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1

Default Getting a second line... get the S5 or the Note 3?

I've been given the OK from the wife to get a second phone to tinker with Android with and I can't decide between the S5 or the Note 3. I've got the S5 and love it's size and screen but wonder if I would ever use the pen on the Note 3. Also on AT&T the phone can't be rooted yet so that's the only downside so far. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Default Re: Getting a second line... get the S5 or the Note 3?

N3 is an awesome phone to be sure but it's just too darn big for my hands/ears.

And, the Note 4 is probably due out in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by fubaracing7374 View Post
    Also on AT&T the phone can't be rooted yet so that's the only downside so far. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    I think it's a moot point. Not really any reason whatsoever to root the s5 that I know of... It's so full of customization options. I guess if you're just wanting to goof around maybe... .. But I've been rooting androids since the google g1 and to be honest there's no need to do that to this phone....plus it'll be 100 times more stable than any changes in bs half arse ROMS, firmware and/or kernels...

This is a great phone. I went ahead and have the s5 Active coming..

I was really wanting a Note 3 simply because of the free hand Note Taking feature.
    I do a lot of notes on the run and being able to use the stylus to jot a few things down quickly was very temping. Also the larger screen size allows for bigger fonts, something that my eyes need because w/o glasses, I can't see anything closer than 3 feet.
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    I was really wanting a Note 3 simply because of the free hand Note Taking feature.
    I do a lot of notes on the run and being able to use the stylus to jot a few things down quickly was very temping. Also the larger screen size allows for bigger fonts, something that my eyes need because w/o glasses, I can't see anything closer than 3 feet.
    That's what I was thinking too. The S5 is great but would love to have that feature of taking noted on the fly with a pen. Taking noted on my iPad sometimes just doesn't work.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by OJsakila View Post
    I think it's a moot point. Not really any reason whatsoever to root the s5 that I know of... It's so full of customization options. I guess if you're just wanting to goof around maybe... .. But I've been rooting androids since the google g1 and to be honest there's no need to do that to this phone....plus it'll be 100 times more stable than any changes in bs half arse ROMS, firmware and/or kernels...

This is a great phone. I went ahead and have the s5 Active coming..
    Yeah I would agree that I don't see a need really for the S5 to be rooted except for using maybe Titanium Backup. But even then I don't see needing to flash a bunch of Roms on it like previous models I've had.