Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    My S5's front camera has developed an obstruction between the lens and the screen to the point that any pictures taken with the front camera are about 50% cut off. It seems some sort of gasket has come loose and is blocking the view of the camera.

    I brought it into VZW today to see about getting it fixed/replaced. The rep said he's never seen that before and I'll just get a replacement sent to me. I asked if I could just swap one out in store and he said no because that's only for if you've had the phone 14 days or less. Since I got mine on launch day, it's coming in on 2 months, so swapping it out in store is a no go.

    I asked if I would be getting a new one sent to me, or if it would be a refurb, and he said it just depends. He says it will come directly from Samsung. I really don't want a refurb, aka an already broken & repaired used phone, when I bought my phone new and this is a manufacturer defect, not something stupid I did, or like I changed my mind about the phone or something.

    People who have dealt with manufacturer warranty replacement S5's, what has your experience been? New phone replacement? Refurb? What quality? Looks same as new? Includes all the accessories? New battery? What's the deal?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Mine has been brand new with charger, manuals, box, everything!! Hope you get a new one!!!

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyJvonBrown View Post
    Mine has been brand new with charger, manuals, box, everything!! Hope you get a new one!!!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Did you request your replacement within 14 days of receiving your original S5? Or were you in the same boat as me, requesting a replacement after 14 days?
  4. #4  
    Greg C's Avatar

    Posts
    1,979 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,989 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by the block View Post
    My S5's front camera has developed an obstruction between the lens and the screen to the point that any pictures taken with the front camera are about 50% cut off. It seems some sort of gasket has come loose and is blocking the view of the camera.

    I brought it into VZW today to see about getting it fixed/replaced. The rep said he's never seen that before and I'll just get a replacement sent to me. I asked if I could just swap one out in store and he said no because that's only for if you've had the phone 14 days or less. Since I got mine on launch day, it's coming in on 2 months, so swapping it out in store is a no go.

    I asked if I would be getting a new one sent to me, or if it would be a refurb, and he said it just depends. He says it will come directly from Samsung. I really don't want a refurb, aka an already broken & repaired used phone, when I bought my phone new and this is a manufacturer defect, not something stupid I did, or like I changed my mind about the phone or something.

    People who have dealt with manufacturer warranty replacement S5's, what has your experience been? New phone replacement? Refurb? What quality? Looks same as new? Includes all the accessories? New battery? What's the deal?
    The S5 is new enough that any refurb you get is probably a result of buyer's remorse. You'll be fine.
    Current Device: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

    Current Carrier: Sprint


  5. #5  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by the block View Post
    Did you request your replacement within 14 days of receiving your original S5? Or were you in the same boat as me, requesting a replacement after 14 days?
    Um, I do believe he said it is almost two months old.....


    I have had a lot of experience in the past with Verizon and replacement phones. The ones I received looked brand new and no scratches.

    I have also purchased "Refurb phones" off eBay many times because it was cheaper to pay $28 for a refurb than to mess with an insurance contract.... which I never buy. The worst thing I ever saw was a slight haze on the keyboard on one phone I bought.

    Another phone had the description of "minor blemishes on case". That one has a scratch on the back side of the phone, the front was just fine.


    The word "Refurb" is nothing that I worry about, especially when it comes with the OEM warranty.
    ____________________________________
    2 each, Verizon Galaxy S5, KK 4.4.4, ART
    MyPhoneExplorer allows file access if ur phone crashes.
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

  6. #6  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    hopefully i don't get a refurbished one
  7. #7  
    rustum's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    hopefully i don't get a refurbished one
    ATT is sending me refurb as a warranty replacement. They are going to just send a phone even without back cover.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    I've had a refurbished phone. It was sent without a battery and without a back cover. It looked brand new.

    Make sure you check all the phone functions and use all the features. You'll have thirty days to report anything wrong with the refurbished phone.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app
  9. #9  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by rustum View Post
    ATT is sending me refurb as a warranty replacement. They are going to just send a phone even without back cover.
    SH!T! Looks like Tmobile is gonna do the same with mines too im assuming.... sighs
  10. #10  
    rustum's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    SH!T! Looks like Tmobile is gonna do the same with mines too im assuming.... sighs
    I tried swapping phone for some issue. ATT mistakenly refused me a swap instead forced me to get a refurbished warranty replacement. is it possible to get a different color phone with the swap without paying restocking fee. I would like to get white one. Black one kinda looks like G Nex which reminds me past horrible experience using smart phone (sprint network with broken G nex radios). Probably that is the reason I am staying away from google phones. Are we suppose to get new phone if it is within 30 day (business) window.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    This is the first time I had to exchange it but Wireless Wave or etc. (inside Costco) is 30 days exchange policy.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Yeah it looks like I got a refurb. They sent me just the phone, no battery, no back cover, no accessories. The phone itself looks fine, but I'm still not happy this is how they handle customers after they sell you a new phone that needs replacement within the warranty period.
  13. #13  
    rustum's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Att is asking me $35 restocking fee for Exchanging with white phone. Is that normal.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
  14. #14  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by the block View Post
    Yeah it looks like I got a refurb. They sent me just the phone, no battery, no back cover, no accessories. The phone itself looks fine, but I'm still not happy this is how they handle customers after they sell you a new phone that needs replacement within the warranty period.
    Basically you are paying full price, me I paid $710, for a refurbished phone!
  15. #15  
    rustum's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    Basically you are paying full price, me I paid $710, for a refurbished phone!
    Is $35 restocking fee normal for swapping S5 with different color S5 in case of any issues with original.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by rustum View Post
    Is $35 restocking fee normal for swapping S5 with different color S5 in case of any issues with original.
    dont know. cuz im not changing colors. but are they gonna give u a sealed phone or a refurb?
  17. #17  
    ibcop's Avatar

    Posts
    2,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,286 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Um, I do believe he said it is almost two months old.....

    Yes he did and that's the OP asking that question to another member.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

    "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
  18. #18  
    rustum's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: getting a warranty replacement - have a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    dont know. cuz im not changing colors. but are they gonna give u a sealed phone or a refurb?
    I think it is new one. They are asking me to send everything with old one if I agree for swapping with different color. It is a corporate account. I am not sure how employer feels with these extra charges in account.

Similar Threads

  1. Battery Drain question: Google Keyboard
    By teamnowak in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 02:52 AM
  2. I have changed from Apple to HTC
    By jaystevens1971 in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 03:20 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 05:10 PM
  4. S5 camera question
    By brick58 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 01:13 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Posting Permissions