Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JMSGNG
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    Hi all,

    So basically I tired to send a picture from google images via mms. When I went to attach the file, the phone said "Unsupported media type, please select another". Weird thing is, I attached the same image using Hangouts and it worked just fine. Does anyone else's do this? And if not, how can I fix it? Surprisingly I really like the stock app so I'd rather keep it.

    Thanks!
    TRACYSRAIL likes this.
  2. #2  
    Kelly Burby's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    701 Posts
    Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

    Default Re: "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    Quote Originally Posted by JMSGNG View Post
    Hi all,

    So basically I tired to send a picture from google images via mms. When I went to attach the file, the phone said "Unsupported media type, please select another". Weird thing is, I attached the same image using Hangouts and it worked just fine. Does anyone else's do this? And if not, how can I fix it? Surprisingly I really like the stock app so I'd rather keep it.

    Thanks!
    That's just weird my stock application works just perfectly fine, hmmm.... well what is the extension of the image you are trying to attach ??
  3. #3  

    Default Re: "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    Quote Originally Posted by JMSGNG View Post
    So basically I tired to send a picture from google images via mms. When I went to attach the file, the phone said "Unsupported media type, please select another".
    I had the same problem if I saved an image from Google Images while using Chrome. When I used the stock Samsung Internet Browser and saved the same image it worked fine with the stock messaging app. They both saved as JPEG files and I couldn't find a difference except one worked and the other didn't.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    BUMP...

    I'm also seeing this problem when downloading images from Google w/in Chrome. Any one else have thoughts or have this happen?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    Quote Originally Posted by zerobleu View Post
    BUMP...

    I'm also seeing this problem when downloading images from Google w/in Chrome. Any one else have thoughts or have this happen?
    I was thinking if there could be a way we could update the messenger, maybe through root access? I'm thinking the way one would install an update on a Linux is but manually. Automatic would be great
  6. #6  

    Default Re: "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    Not sure if this is the problem but in the past I have had problems with using ad blockers while using MMS.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    I have had this same problem on nearly every photo I save from google. Regardless if I use chrome mobile or Internet Explorer. It's a huge pain in the ****. I have to edit the photo using snapseed or the like and then save again. You can't edit the photo to resave through the stock editor. I wish I could figure out what this is going on.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    My phone gives me the "unsupported media type" message when the extension is .jpeg.
    It works fine for .jpg but not .jpeg. My niece has an iPhone & everything that comes from her is in the .jpeg format.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    I've got a Note 5 and have the same problem. I've found that if you crop an image using 'smart select' and share it straight away (without saving first to the gallery) you can send it as an SMS no problem... but once if you try and attach that file from your galley... comes up as unsupported media type.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: "Unsupported Media type" for mms using stock messaging app

    Quote Originally Posted by Spankin77 View Post
    I've got a Note 5 and have the same problem. I've found that if you crop an image using 'smart select' and share it straight away (without saving first to the gallery) you can send it as an SMS no problem... but once if you try and attach that file from your galley... comes up as unsupported media type.
    Same thing is happening to me. If I try sending immediately after using smart select, it goes through. If I save it to my gallery, I get the"unsupported media type" error.

Similar Threads

  1. Fastest launcher for phone?
    By metalupyourmax in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 04:01 PM
  2. media volume adjusts itself
    By msugrad598 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 09:50 PM
  3. Text message delay
    By ahampton0217#AC in forum LG Optimus G Pro
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 03:44 PM
  4. Best option when using Chrome Remote Desktop
    By rjl2 in forum Chromebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Posting Permissions