Serious doubts about S5

dactyl2

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I am due to upgrade my phone later this month, but after reading these threads over the last two weeks I think I will wait.
There seems too many faults on the phone, and Samsung do not seem to care.
Pity because I was really looking forward to getting the S5.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I am due to upgrade my phone later this month, but after reading these threads over the last two weeks I think I will wait.
There seems too many faults on the phone, and Samsung do not seem to care.
Pity because I was really looking forward to getting the S5.

There are tons of people who are completely happy with their s5 and choose not to go to every forum and declare their love for a phone. Most of the time if you come to a forum you will see tons of people who come with a problem with the hopes of getting it resolved. I have no faults with my s5 at all.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Name them?

The only negative I see is the poor design of the USB 3.0 cover. There are ways around kit, you just have to spend money but they're also advantages.

1. Wireless Charging. Convenience.
2. microSD. Increase storage capacity.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I have had my s5 since launch day and I have not had any issues with mine. Just go with whatever phone you feel fits your needs.

Posted via Android Central App

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine has performed flawlessly since launch day and I love it. As has been said, most people only come to forums and post when they have problems. There are exponentially more S5 owners out there that haven't had a single issue with their phones.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Best phone I have ever had. People come to forums because they have problems, out of 10 plus million people...this is pretty much it.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am kind of regretting not returning mine at this point. It lags all the time. Just this morning when on a call I took it away from my face and it wouldn't turn the screen on. Answering calls is an adventure as it doesn't always respond to the answer swipe. I'm always double tapping stuff because I'm not sure if it has responded or not. Many apps stutter badly when scrolling. This is a disappointing phone, the best hardware coupled with terrible software. Even my original Surface RT puts this phone to shame in terms of smoothness. Not in speed though of course. This phone is fast once it does respond.

Some people on here claim to never have any lag. But look at reviews and comments online, there are still issues with TouchWiz and you don't see those issues with Sense on M8 reviews and forums. .

Now, my issues may have to do with what Verizon has done to it since they loaded it with bloatware and branding crap which can't all be removed, so I can't speak for S5s on other carriers. Regardless, there is no excuse for Samsung allowing this phone to reach consumers. This kind of thing was acceptable and even expected on Android 2 years ago. Not today. Every other flagship phone offers a more fluid user experience. Even the MotoX, which has been much maligned for its supposedly poor specs.

Go play with one in the store and see if the stuttering and lack of responsiveness bother you. You may not notice it or find it as annoying as I do. And as you can see, many people don't have any issues. But the problems are real and in my opinion you really need to love the features the S5 offers to put up with it. I thought I did, but the more I use it the less I like it.

On the flip side, I don't know if I could live with the M8's camera. My S5 has replaced my point-and-shoot. There are several things I don't like about the M8, but the camera was the dealbreaker.

As for some of the other issues you do have to keep in mind that Samsung sells a ton more of these than HTC sells M8s. There's going to be a lot more issues reported for that reason alone. I haven't had any glitches other than the responsiveness. In fact, it has been rock solid in that stuff doesn't crash and I haven't had to unexpectedly reboot it. Too early to tell anything about durability.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I still haven't experienced lag. I have had two S5 since launch day (one for work one personal) and have had zero issues. Also there have been complaints about sense, maybe not lag related, but still complaints. I have never been a sense fan (My wife had the M7 and now the M8 ) or a TouchWiz fan for that matter. The great this is there are custom launchers. For now though I am using TouchWiz and haven't had any issues.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like something is wrong with your phone. There should be no lag, no stutter at all. The second you touch an icon, something should happen. Not one second later...not two seconds later...and you should not have any problems answering a phone call.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like something is wrong with your phone. There should be no lag, no stutter at all. The second you touch an icon, something should happen. Not one second later...not two seconds later...and you should not have any problems answering a phone call.

Ya like I said above, I haven't had any of the issues stated anywhere yet on either one of my S5s.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Iroxusux

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I am personally completely satisfied with my S5. Especially since i don't have the locked bootloader on Sprint that i did on Verizon

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
As far as Touchwiz, I don't see why people are complaining about it......

I just prefer a customer launcher myself, I don't have any issues with TouchWiz directly. Even the lag issues I have heard I haven't had. I have watch videos and the lag people are showing are nick picking (like things opening in a second or less and calling lag). I have seen little to no difference in response time between the M8 and S5.

To me Samsung has become the new Apple. They are marketed so hard, and have become so popular that for the techy, (for instance a large part of these foruma) they have to be different and can't stand that every joesmoe has the same phone as them. So they start to Nick pick at anything and piggy back on other devices that are less popular.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Nothing wrong with it per se. The two floor models in my Verizon store do the same thing. There are dozens of posts here giving tips on how to reduce lag by disabling animations, clearing memory, leaving memory full, etc. And there are numerous videos online demonstrating it. There was just a thread last week where other people were complaining about the answer swipe being unresponsive. General unresponsiveness does not happen all the time, but it does happen quite often.

I will say the lag from opening the camera to snapping the first picture has improved greatly. I heard there was an update for that but never actually saw one.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Nothing wrong with it per se. The two floor models in my Verizon store do the same thing. There are dozens of posts here giving tips on how to reduce lag by disabling animations, clearing memory, leaving memory full, etc. And there are numerous videos online demonstrating it. There was just a thread last week where other people were complaining about the answer swipe being unresponsive. General unresponsiveness does not happen all the time, but it does happen quite often.

I will say the lag from opening the camera to snapping the first picture has improved greatly. I heard there was an update for that but never actually saw one.

I was one of the people that posted about the answer swipe, and it was user error, I was doing it wrong.

It seems to me, that 90% or more of the problems people encounter are user error.

Had the phone going on 2 months now, have not had lag or anything..cross my fingers lol.

Just for funsies, just went and opened the camera to take a shot. Took two seconds using the one thousand one, one thousand two....if they get that down to one second that would be nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad