How strong is the screen?

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm new to Samsung and just got my S5 a couple of days ago. I've had three-straight Motorola Droids. With those and their gorilla glass, the screen was practically unbreakable. For me, at least. I dropped each of those phones many times and never used a case. The screen looks just as good right now on those phones as the day I bought them. So, how strong is the S5 screen? Obviously, I don't want to drop it and will try not to, but it will likely happen. I do have a Samsung S View case on it now.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
I have always had some kind of protective case on my phones, but I choose cases that are easy to remove (i.e. NOT Otterbox Defenders). Reason being is I still like the 'feel' of the device, and when I am home, as it is mostly carpeted, I have my phones go caseless. The case goes on when I take it out for the day.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I had a Droid Razr for two years. Dropped it a few times on stone floors. Never cracked. Used a case.
I've dropped my S5 on the same stone floors twice. Case and phone are unscathed. Have a minimalist case (Spigen Ultra Hybrid).
My 30+ year old daughter with two children has dropped her cased Razr and Galaxy and Note phones and they've all cracked but still work. Did that help? <g>

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
My 5'7" wife dropped her pre-order white S5 from waist high yesterday on to concrete and it broke the glass on her screen. It hit on the top right corner and it had cracks all the way towards the bottom of the phone. We had to use insurance to get another one because Sprint doesn't work on those phones and the screen repair places around here didn't have the parts for that phone yet. As with everything, YMMV.

Stuffedbigfoot

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm new to Samsung and just got my S5 a couple of days ago. I've had three-straight Motorola Droids. With those and their gorilla glass, the screen was practically unbreakable. For me, at least. I dropped each of those phones many times and never used a case. The screen looks just as good right now on those phones as the day I bought them. So, how strong is the S5 screen? Obviously, I don't want to drop it and will try not to, but it will likely happen. I do have a Samsung S View case on it now.

As puremeerkat said, it comes with Gorilla glass. I dropped mine today from chest height and absolutely nothing happened to it. I have a Spigen clear strong flex case. It protects really well yet preserves the look of my S5.

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help. It seems like it'll be pretty similar to my Droids in strength. The unlucky angle on a fall could break it, but I've been pretty fortunate in the past. I'll probably just stick with the S View case, and that's mainly because I just love the design of it. Now, I have to decide if I want to return this one and get the wireless charging case. Thanks for solving one problem!

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I dropped mine a few times (once on really hard tile) and knock on wood so far its still doing good. I plan on ordering a case tomorrow though because I'm one of those people who ****s bricks with a bare phone.