Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How strong is the screen?

So, I'm new to Samsung and just got my S5 a couple of days ago. I've had three-straight Motorola Droids. With those and their gorilla glass, the screen was practically unbreakable. For me, at least. I dropped each of those phones many times and never used a case. The screen looks just as good right now on those phones as the day I bought them. So, how strong is the S5 screen? Obviously, I don't want to drop it and will try not to, but it will likely happen. I do have a Samsung S View case on it now.

Global Posts
    25,295 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: How strong is the screen?

Welcome to the forums.
    I have always had some kind of protective case on my phones, but I choose cases that are easy to remove (i.e. NOT Otterbox Defenders). Reason being is I still like the 'feel' of the device, and when I am home, as it is mostly carpeted, I have my phones go caseless. The case goes on when I take it out for the day.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    SpasticPat and troshs like this.

I had a Droid Razr for two years. Dropped it a few times on stone floors. Never cracked. Used a case.
    I've dropped my S5 on the same stone floors twice. Case and phone are unscathed. Have a minimalist case (Spigen Ultra Hybrid).
    My 30+ year old daughter with two children has dropped her cased Razr and Galaxy and Note phones and they've all cracked but still work. Did that help? <g>

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

My 5'7" wife dropped her pre-order white S5 from waist high yesterday on to concrete and it broke the glass on her screen. It hit on the top right corner and it had cracks all the way towards the bottom of the phone. We had to use insurance to get another one because Sprint doesn't work on those phones and the screen repair places around here didn't have the parts for that phone yet. As with everything, YMMV.

The S5 screen is Corning Gorilla Glass 3. You can find YouTube videos from Corning demonstrating its strength properties.

Quote Originally Posted by PittDucky View Post
    So, I'm new to Samsung and just got my S5 a couple of days ago. I've had three-straight Motorola Droids. With those and their gorilla glass, the screen was practically unbreakable. For me, at least. I dropped each of those phones many times and never used a case. The screen looks just as good right now on those phones as the day I bought them. So, how strong is the S5 screen? Obviously, I don't want to drop it and will try not to, but it will likely happen. I do have a Samsung S View case on it now.
    As puremeerkat said, it comes with Gorilla glass. I dropped mine today from chest height and absolutely nothing happened to it. I have a Spigen clear strong flex case. It protects really well yet preserves the look of my S5.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for everyone's help. It seems like it'll be pretty similar to my Droids in strength. The unlucky angle on a fall could break it, but I've been pretty fortunate in the past. I'll probably just stick with the S View case, and that's mainly because I just love the design of it. Now, I have to decide if I want to return this one and get the wireless charging case. Thanks for solving one problem!

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts

I dropped mine a few times (once on really hard tile) and knock on wood so far its still doing good. I plan on ordering a case tomorrow though because I'm one of those people who ****s bricks with a bare phone.
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.