Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Speakerphone - How's yours?

    My girlfriend and I are going back to T-Mobile after a few days on Verizon... Basically we don't like the call quality and she also has been having mad issues with her Galaxy S5 speaker phone.

    Basically when it's on speaker and I talk the speaker cracks on her end and distorts which makes it hard to hear me (or anyone she is talking to)... And for my end she sounds almost like she's underwater... It's bad. We've exchanged.. All that.. Didn't help a bit..

    So I was curious.. How are your guys speaker phones? I've checked the net and am really only seeing complaints about the Verizon version.

    Please sound off below if you use speakerphone.. Please also let me know what carrier you have. Thanks guys! .

    Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Picked up my S5 this past Saturday on AT&T. First day and first call, I used speakerphone and also noticed a weird cracking sort of popping from the speaker, adjusted the volume which was at full down a notch and then it sounded fine. Since then have used the speakerphone many times without issue, adjusting the volume up and down and it sounds fine and no complaints from people on the other end of the call.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    PappaFloyd's Avatar
    Dab King

    Posts
    63 Posts
    ROM
    BAKED 4

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    adjusting the volume up and down and it sounds fine and no complaints from people on the other end of the call.
    Had the same issue the other day, have had my S5 for like 3 weeks and that was the 1st time it happened. Bumped the down a few notches and then back up a few less and it seems to be OK now. I'm on VZW.
    Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Been with Verizon for 15+ years.

    most of the phones that I had exhibited distortion at high volume settings when on speakerphone. I don't think that you will truly be able to narrow it down to a carrier if a scientific survey is done.

    I have tried all of the carriers at one time or another, but all of those was prior to signing on with Verizon. at that time, my single most important feature was COVERAGE and the quality of the speakerphone was at the bottom of the list.

    If you and your girlfriend stay with the same phone, and just get a different SIM card, the speakerphone is going to sound the same.

    On every phone I have had, cupping your hand around the back of the phone, or placing the phone in a position against an environment that will reflect the sound back forward, will improve the quality of the sound.

    Those little tiny speakerphones are being asked to do a huge job: move a lot of air "sound waves" and their tiny little diaphragms just aren't up to the job. Some phones do a better job than others, just a fact of design by the manufacturers.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
    Thanked by:
    HMBgal 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Been with Verizon for 15+ years.

    most of the phones that I had exhibited distortion at high volume settings when on speakerphone. I don't think that you will truly be able to narrow it down to a carrier if a scientific survey is done.

    I have tried all of the carriers at one time or another, but all of those was prior to signing on with Verizon. at that time, my single most important feature was COVERAGE and the quality of the speakerphone was at the bottom of the list.

    If you and your girlfriend stay with the same phone, and just get a different SIM card, the speakerphone is going to sound the same.

    On every phone I have had, cupping your hand around the back of the phone, or placing the phone in a position against an environment that will reflect the sound back forward, will improve the quality of the sound.

    Those little tiny speakerphones are being asked to do a huge job: move a lot of air "sound waves" and their tiny little diaphragms just aren't up to the job. Some phones do a better job than others, just a fact of design by the manufacturers.
    I get what you're saying.. But we aren't going to slap a new SIM in. We will be going back to our old phones (her S4 me Note 3). I wanted coverage as well.. Hence why I went to Verizon. I've had AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, now Verizon. While I do like the coverage so far on Verizon I was okay on T-Mobile. The wifi calling helped in the few bad spots... But I really just wanted to have coverage and have her be able to use LTE everywhere... But if that means no call quality (at least here in Jacksonville.. Can't speak for other areas) then that's a no go.

    Honestly I can say my S2, S3, HTC One M7, Note 3 haven't ever had the issue her S5 has at the moment. Even at full blast... Sure it might not be HD sounding but it doesn't Crack and break like the S5 where you can't hear the person. Also it doesn't make you (or her in this case) sound like she is underwater... So it's very odd.

    Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    I feel like the speaker on my S4 was much louder than than the speaker on my S5...not really impressed with the speaker tbh but not too much of a big deal
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    My wife and I just finished up an hour long speakerphone visit with our son who is working this week in Winipeg, Canada. We are in Oklahoma.

    The S5 speakerphone is much louder than her LG phone, or my older Galaxy S phone.

    We truly enjoyed the visit and could hear the S5 audio in the kitchen and dining room with ease.

    Wasn't "HD quality", but it was plenty loud enough (I have 20% hearing loss) for us to enjoy the visit.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    My wife and I just finished up an hour long speakerphone visit with our son who is working this week in Winipeg, Canada. We are in Oklahoma.

    The S5 speakerphone is much louder than her LG phone, or my older Galaxy S phone.

    We truly enjoyed the visit and could hear the S5 audio in the kitchen and dining room with ease.

    Wasn't "HD quality", but it was plenty loud enough (I have 20% hearing loss) for us to enjoy the visit.
    Wish that was our result. With us it would have been so distorted you wouldn't of understood them. Yeah it's loud... But the clarity was a no go for us.

    Just hopped back to T-Mobile. In and out in about 20 minutes.. Hooked us back up.. Got us on a family plan.. And reinstated her discount plus her equipment plan from where it fell off. Maybe she'll get (or jump) to the S5 on T-Mobile and see if it's any better. If she does I'll be sure to report back here.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Speakerphone is mediocre at best. No loss of intelligibility but buzzy at max vomume with some vibration noticable. Back it down a notch or two and it's fine.

    Clearly not this phone's best feature.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Speakerphone quality on my AT&T variant seems decent, but today I left a message for someone and got a work call while attempting to hang up. I chose "end call and answer" (or whatever the option is). I just asked that person whether the quality was good and he said he thought he might have heard part of my other call! Definite privacy concerns if that's the truth.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Just have to turn it down a notch or two and it's fine. Crisp and clear.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    You also have to know that the water proofing of the phone does make the phone speaker not the all fine best

    Posted via At&t SAMSUNG GALAXY S5
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougie1792 View Post
    You also have to know that the water proofing of the phone does make the phone speaker not the all fine best

    Posted via At&t SAMSUNG GALAXY S5
    This is true. You pay a price for water resistance. Hopefully you knew this prior to buying!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    The speaker probably has some sort of membrane over it to keep it water resistant. Its probably vibrating from the sound.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    I have AT&T and the few times I have used the speaker I haven't had any issues. I can hear the other person fine and no one complained that they could not hear me.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by oreodoh View Post
    This is true. You pay a price for water resistance. Hopefully you knew this prior to buying!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Well we knew about the water resistant part of the phone.. But.. For them to do that and mess up another feature isn't really a good excuse..

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  17. #17  
    HBActuary's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    I just moved from iphone to Galaxy S5, both with verizon. I typically listen to calls using the speaker. I can say that my only regret in the decision to change is the issue with the sound/volume/clarity of this phone compared to the iphone. If I have it in normal mode they can hear me fine but I can't hear them very well, even with the volume turned all the way up. I know my hearing has deteriorated in my old age of 50, but seriously I had no troubles with the iphone. It’s not just the volume, it’s a lack of clarity. If I use it on speaker, which is what I prefer since that is my version of hands free, I still have trouble hearing them unless I turn it over and put the speaker up to my ear hear which defeats the attempt of being hands free. And still really bad clarity. The other end has a lot of trouble hearing me on speaker, always getting 'what did you say'? until I take it off speaker.

    I'm so frustrated by this, just spent an hour on the internet searching this issue. Apparently there are audio boosters but it looks like I don't have the option with this phone. something about jailbreak, root, odin and other words I never heard of and don't have time to fully research. The last thing I need is to ruin my phone, but seriously after having recommended the phone to a friend because I LOVE the droid environment for music I called her today and recommended she give it a whirl in the store first because this bad sound may be a deal breaker.
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by HBActuary View Post
    I just moved from iphone to Galaxy S5, both with verizon. I typically listen to calls using the speaker. I can say that my only regret in the decision to change is the issue with the sound/volume/clarity of this phone compared to the iphone. If I have it in normal mode they can hear me fine but I can't hear them very well, even with the volume turned all the way up. I know my hearing has deteriorated in my old age of 50, but seriously I had no troubles with the iphone. It’s not just the volume, it’s a lack of clarity. If I use it on speaker, which is what I prefer since that is my version of hands free, I still have trouble hearing them unless I turn it over and put the speaker up to my ear hear which defeats the attempt of being hands free. And still really bad clarity. The other end has a lot of trouble hearing me on speaker, always getting 'what did you say'? until I take it off speaker.

    I'm so frustrated by this, just spent an hour on the internet searching this issue. Apparently there are audio boosters but it looks like I don't have the option with this phone. something about jailbreak, root, odin and other words I never heard of and don't have time to fully research. The last thing I need is to ruin my phone, but seriously after having recommended the phone to a friend because I LOVE the droid environment for music I called her today and recommended she give it a whirl in the store first because this bad sound may be a deal breaker.
    Yeah this was pretty much our experience as well.. It just wasn't clear enough. We never found a fix and decided to return the phone and go back to our old ones. .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    My speakerphone has been really good so far. I've used it more to listen than to speak (i.e.: on hold, listening to voicemail, etc.).
  20. #20  
    Greg C's Avatar

    Posts
    1,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,835 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    My speaker phone is quite loud and for the most part pretty clear. It's average when compared to the past phones I've owned.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    It's pathetic to say the least lol ...
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Well, sorry my experience is different.

    My wife and I converse with our son with the speaker phone on every conversation.
    we have no difficulties with it at all. He is a world traveler and the phone is the only way we can keep in touch.

    However, IF you expect it to sound like a big speaker in free air, then you will be disappointed.

    I hold the phone with my hand cupped around the back side of it and the results are quite good.
    Loud enough to be heard at the opposite end of the house.

    We are very pleased with the speaker phone. I need to make a little alcove to place the phone on so that it would work like my hand does cupped behind it.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Well, sorry my experience is different.

    My wife and I converse with our son with the speaker phone on every conversation.
    we have no difficulties with it at all. He is a world traveler and the phone is the only way we can keep in touch.

    However, IF you expect it to sound like a big speaker in free air, then you will be disappointed.

    I hold the phone with my hand cupped around the back side of it and the results are quite good.
    Loud enough to be heard at the opposite end of the house.

    We are very pleased with the speaker phone. I need to make a little alcove to place the phone on so that it would work like my hand does cupped behind it.
    You aren't using what most use a speakerphone for though.. I like to turn it on and lay it down in my lap or on a table so I can be hands free. If I'm able to hold the phone I mine as well like normal.. Having to cup the hands around the back kind-of defeats the purpose. Especially when other phones sound fine and loud enough without doing this.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    My girlfriend and I are going back to T-Mobile after a few days on Verizon... Basically we don't like the call quality and she also has been having mad issues with her Galaxy S5 speaker phone.

    Basically when it's on speaker and I talk the speaker cracks on her end and distorts which makes it hard to hear me (or anyone she is talking to)... And for my end she sounds almost like she's underwater... It's bad. We've exchanged.. All that.. Didn't help a bit..

    So I was curious.. How are your guys speaker phones? I've checked the net and am really only seeing complaints about the Verizon version.

    Please sound off below if you use speakerphone.. Please also let me know what carrier you have. Thanks guys! .

    Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.
    Some phone speakers are great some are bad. Trial and error really. So far I would say, speaker phone, iPhone. For loudness and clarity, Samsung. Depends who you are and what you want. I've owned a lot of handsets and it really comes down to sacrificing certain features for other features.

    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
  25. #25  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    918 Posts

    Default Re: Speakerphone - How's yours?

    I use speakerphone all the time in the car when I am to lazy (or forget) to turn on my bluetooth. Never had a complaint. I am on Verizon and haven't experienced the crackling you did. Just a question though, do you have Voice Privacy turned on by chance? I have turned my off, because I have read it causes sound quality issues especially with speaker phone and bluetooth.

    Speakerphone - How's yours?-screenshot_2014-06-16-23-49-36.jpg
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Updating Your [Unlocked] Nexus 5 to 4.4.3
    By gidgiddonihah in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 11:53 AM
  2. How strong is the screen?
    By PittDucky in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 09:49 PM
  3. App to make multitasking easier?
    By terminatorx in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 11:36 PM
  4. How to enable wifi.. on 10in IRULU tablet.
    By averagecitizen in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 03:50 PM
  5. Great coloring book for your kids
    By danielwol in forum Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Posting Permissions