Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dadathepanda
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What happened to "OK Google"

I just got my new Samsung Galaxy S5 a couple of weeks ago and I really like the phone. When I first got it, I was able to launch voice activated google searches by just saying "Okay Google" from the home screen but that stopped working. Anyone have any idea why?

Default Re: What happened to "OK Google"

Did you delete the Google Search bar from your homescreen? It must be there to receive the command.

Nova launcher just updated and "ok google" works without even having the search bar on the screen. Awesome

The panda has spoken
    the panda has spoken
    Thanked by 2:
    Assassin Droid and bembol like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dadathepanda View Post
    Nova launcher just updated and "ok google" works without even having the search bar on the screen. Awesome

The panda has spoken
    Just about to say this too...awesome feature
    - Using the Samsung Galaxy S6 BAM! -

The panda has spoken
    Good luck with battery life unless the S5 has a similar low power CPU dedicated for OK Google listening 24/7 like the Moto X has.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0gburp3r View Post
    Good luck with battery life unless the S5 has a similar low power CPU dedicated for OK Google listening 24/7 like the Moto X has.
    I use OK Google all the time, and I get at least 2-3 days battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    I use OK Google all the time, and I get at least 2-3 days battery life.
    LOL my S4 doesn't even get 1 day on minimal use. This is without OK Google always listening.

Another thing I noticed. Why can't OK, Google be invoked when the phone is sleeping. The new Hey, Siri can be invoked when the iPhone is sleeping. I wish Google would allow this.

LOL my S4 doesn't even get 1 day on minimal use. This is without OK Google always listening.
    Well we'll see what the difference between a brand new battery is compared to one that's 1 year old..two years old....I suspect they degrade to some degree.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing I noticed. Why can't OK, Google be invoked when the phone is sleeping. The new Hey, Siri can be invoked when the iPhone is sleeping. I wish Google would allow this.
    Perhaps the next update we will see this feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    Well we'll see what the difference between a brand new battery is compared to one that's 1 year old..two years old....I suspect they degrade to some degree.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps the next update we will see this feature?
    My battery isn't that old. It doesn't have the original battery.

The Moto X is able to keep the mic on because of the dedicated low power CPU. I think Nova Prime only allowed it when the phone is awake so the battery isn't drained while the phone is sleeping. I guess that's why OK Google can't be invoked while the phone is sleeping.

Actually, I was able to invoke it on my Galaxy S5 with the screen off. Not technically asleep, but still counts. It doesn't work when the S Cover is closed, thank God.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Nope, I checked, it is still there (google search bar on the home screen).

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantRabbit View Post
    Actually, I was able to invoke it on my Galaxy S5 with the screen off. Not technically asleep, but still counts. It doesn't work when the S Cover is closed, thank God.
    Ummm I don't see how, with the screen off, it's a no go. Is there a special setting you found? Also, even with the screen on, I still have to get past the security (for me it's fingerprint scan) to enable it....which makes sense because if you could do enable it, then the security would be flawed and worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantRabbit View Post
    What version/carrier do you have for your S5? I have AT&T and cannot get 'OK Google' or 'Hi Galaxy' to work with the screen off

Quote Originally Posted by brazilian812 View Post
    What version/carrier do you have for your S5? I have AT&T and cannot get 'OK Google' or 'Hi Galaxy' to work with the screen off

It's a no go on Sprint as well....
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by JakePleasants View Post
    Did you delete the Google Search bar from your homescreen? It must be there to receive the command.
    The search bar is still on the home screen.

The panda has spoken
    Love this 💟 Worth every penny!

Posted via Android Central App

I have Nova launcher (updated) on my s5 (tmobile) but ok google still doesn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambino444 View Post
    I have Nova launcher (updated) on my s5 (tmobile) but ok google still doesn't work?
    You have to enable it in Nova settings

The panda has spoken
    the panda has spoken
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    8,200 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

My battery isn't that old. It doesn't have the original battery.

The Moto X is able to keep the mic on because of the dedicated low power CPU. I think Nova Prime only allowed it when the phone is awake so the battery isn't drained while the phone is sleeping. I guess that's why OK Google can't be invoked while the phone is sleeping.
    The Google implementation only allows "ok Google" to work when you're in the Google Search app - which, if using the Google Now Launcher, is any time you're on the home screens, in Google Now or looking at results from Search (all technically the same app). It won't work from within Google+ for example, or when the screen is off, etc. Samsung's implementation is a little different so they obviously added to that. Part of what allows them to do that is the functionality built into the S800/S801 SoC that allows for "always listening" but so far I haven't seen another implementation that allows full functionality like on the Moto X (from any state, screen off or on, in any app, etc) although I know I was able to mimic that functionality with Tasker and some of it's addons on a rooted device before I got my X. At this time I also haven't seen the iOS version working on a device yet, so I'm not making any guesses at their execution.

I deleted my search bar, long press home to bring up the Google now page, and "ok Google" works fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

The panda has spoken
    It gets interesting when you have two Super Phones running Prime and goths responds. LOL
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,876 Global Posts

I have the Google now UI on my note 3 and my phone lasts around 15-17 hours in heavy usage with OK google listening 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    I have the Google now UI on my note 3 and my phone lasts around 15-17 hours in heavy usage with OK google listening 24/7
    How did you get it to listen while the phone is sleeping?
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,876 Global Posts

How did you get it to listen while the phone is sleeping?
    While other then sleeping... I meant like how the nexus 5 works

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk