Just got the New Galaxy s5 Active

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Not to get off topic but OP you really sold you S5 for $300? That's generous, when you could've easily got $500 for it.

Anyways, just wanted to say I'm really loving this Active after watching pocketnow's unboxing.

I know!! I stalk craigslist daily, and would have picked that up and flipped it on Swappa :)
Either way, I hope you enjoy your s5 active

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s5

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Im currently an iPhone 3GS user who can upgrade on AT&T I really like this phone, my wife had the galaxy 3 and just got the 5 and my mother in law has the galaxy 4. This would be great for me since I have a family full of samsung users

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I plan on getting this this summer once I save up from my job, I'll be upgrading from the S4. I was originally thinking of getting the S5 so can you describe the differences between the two and tell us which one you like more?

I've heard the Active is thinner than the S5 and its screen is bigger and sharper. Above all, please tell us how the phone feels in the hand. I'm curious about those side bumpers. Also, the battery is removable right?

Exactly the same screen and according to the specs the Active is slightly thicker but it feels much better in the hand to me than the S5.

Apparently the Active has the same battery, but better battery life, according to the Specs that I found on the AT&T website and in random reviews. Can anyone confirm this or hypothesize why? Same processor and everything, no idea why the phone would run more efficiently, on the order of several hours.

My 14-day period of getting the S5 ends TOMORROW and I can return it and get the Active just by paying the restocking fee. Is it worth it? I have 24 hours to decide... Not sure if it will be easy to find a case for the Active. It's already hard enough to track down S5 products. Also, the fingerprint scanner is cool, and I feel like the phone weight will be noticeably different.

I returned my S5 after less than a week and picked up the Active. I found the fingerprint scanner frustrating on the S5 so don't miss it on the Active. As for the weight, on paper the Active is apparently a few grams heavier but it actually seems lighter than the S5. Maybe it's because it has better balance or something not sure.

DirtMcGirt

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I didn't own the S5 before the S5 Active but when I went into the store, the Active just felt better in my hand and less slippery (have small hands). Next up, I don't need or care for the fingerprint scanner and I prefer the hard buttons over soft. Next, I've been known for dropping phones a lot and needed something more rugged, the Active was perfect for that. Next, I run outside and play sports and the extra water proofing and stuff just made this phone a no brainer over the stock. It's been great so far, moderate-heavy use and I get over 24hrs of battery life so no need to rush and charge before bed, it can wait until I get into the office. I also paired it with the Gear 2 ($50 off) and love everything about the pair.

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
OP, can you confirm if this has wireless charging or not? I've hear info that it does not, which would be a shame, but I also heard it was exactly the same as the S5 minus the fingerprint scanner. Thanks!

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
FedEx just dropped it off. I have pulled it out of the box and waiting on the battery to fully charge before I pull the sim out of my current s5 and put it in the s5 Active. The phone is quite heavier in my hand AND the rear camera has been changed by design so that it is not glass flat on the rear...it has "bumpers" and an edge around the camera lens itself so that the glass doesn't actually touch a surface if you lay it on it's back. This in addition to the bumpers on the four corners of the device itself.

Just the change in camera design is ONE THOUSAND TIMES MORE DURABLE THAN BEFORE. I feel quite confident about this device. It appears to be a tank by comparison in my hand.
View attachment 121516

Now I'll sell my pristine white s5 on craigslist for two and a half bills at least..

Nice....VERY NICE. ConGrats

monicajae

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Wow. I would definitely have waited. I've only had my phone for about a month and half. Why didn't they announce it sooner? So disappointed. I can't stand the soft buttons. Hate them.

Posted via Android Central App

monicajae

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Actually i have to say I'm frikken PISSED. SO SO SO SO ANGRY NOT ONE PERSON ATT OR OTHERWISE BOTHERED TO MENTION IT. I never even saw an ad or leaks or anything else of that nature. What gives? And when the hell was this announced? I have been complaining about the soft buttons forever. There's even a post I've written about this.

Posted via Android Central App

monicajae

May 6, 2014
Visit site
ok, well i think i just lucked out. i called att and complained and they said that if there is another line on my account that is eligible for upgrade, i can take that one and give mine to that person -- they would take it over. THANK GOD my son is eligible for an upgrade and actually wants this phone! I actually didn't think he liked it. he's also an iphone user. now my only complaints are the colors (no white) and the lack of usb 3.0. why did they change that! ugh! can nothing be perfect!!!

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow, chill out a little bit. I understand your frustration, but neither AT&T nor anyone else was under any obligation to make you aware of every other phone that might be released in the indefinite future that may or may not meet your exacting preferences. You were a relatively early adopter of the S5, you should have expected variations to be released in the future.

JimReimer

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm loving mine! (had a BlackBerry Torch so just about anything would have been an improvement). So far the battery is fair. I unplug it at 7:00 at home and typically have 1-2 hrs talk time over Bluetooth, about 50 texts, send and receive about 20 e-mails and frequent browsing of Facebok and Linkedin accounts over WiFi connection, listen to music for about 2-3 hrs at the gym over Bluetooth, download on average 1 app (until I reach critical mass since it's new) and I still have 20%-25% battery life by the time I plug it in again around 10-11 at night.

I know it's supposed to be tougher but still want to get a good case and tempered glass screen protector for it. One of the things I don't like is it's slick, and being larger it could use some rubber grip. Easy enough to fix with an outer case but none of the good ones (Otter, Zagg) have anything for it yet. I found a cheap hybrid case on handhelditems.com that's ready to ship right now an that will work until Zagg comes out with their Arsenal for the S5 Active. Does anyone here know how long it typically takes for these manufacturers to come out with cases and screen protectors?

Last edited:

scobb

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Regarding wireless charging: I'm pretty sure it is not available. I've seen several shots with the back cover off - and I don't see the connector pins that are on regular S5 (Inactive :)

I too am a bit bummed about that. I often used an old Palm touchstone hack - and really loved it. Both the touchstone coil and the Qi ones added just enough bulge where I can see it might have sealing issues. OTOH, A correctly done charge coil back would eliminate ever having to unplug the USB cover. Sigh.

Still trying to decide between S5 and Active.

I also remember hearing there are camera focus differences. Anyone know?

For those who have switched, any thoughts on feel and/or pocket-ability?

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that my Active back cover does NOT have wireless charging in it..

Very happy at this point with the s5 Active. Battery is just the same beast as my s5 was.. I do, in fact, really enjoy the hard buttons. I have mapped the additional "hot button" on the side above the volume rocker to the camera. Awesome..it opens in like a second and I have found myself taking tons of more pics..

All in all, its a welcome couple of changes to an already great phone that seems to suit me well.. Very happy

scobb

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Another plus with he S5 Active seems to be the addition of Optical Image Stabilization (OIS). The youtube video was made with an S5 and an S5 Active held together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1zYmwjcwhU#t=29

The difference is considerable. It is easiest to see if you open the video in 2 windows side-by-side and start the second one half way through where the video is from the S5 Active. If you sync the two videos, you can really see the difference.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX