Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just got the New Galaxy s5 Active

FedEx just dropped it off. I have pulled it out of the box and waiting on the battery to fully charge before I pull the sim out of my current s5 and put it in the s5 Active. The phone is quite heavier in my hand AND the rear camera has been changed by design so that it is not glass flat on the rear...it has "bumpers" and an edge around the camera lens itself so that the glass doesn't actually touch a surface if you lay it on it's back. This in addition to the bumpers on the four corners of the device itself.
    Just got the New Galaxy s5 Active-image.jpg

Just the change in camera design is ONE THOUSAND TIMES MORE DURABLE THAN BEFORE. I feel quite confident about this device. It appears to be a tank by comparison in my hand.
    Just got the New Galaxy s5 Active-image.jpg

Now I'll sell my pristine white s5 on craigslist for two and a half bills at least..
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Default Re: Just got the New Galaxy s5 Active

Just placed an order for mine a few minutes ago.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

You'll be happy. I can hardly wait to get this battery charged up.. It is very solid feeling in my hand

...AND I have the day off... Lol..
    jleebiker likes this.

Does it have the exact same specs as the S5? Or were the specs trimmed down a bit?
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OJsakila View Post
    You'll be happy. I can hardly wait to get this battery charged up.. It is very solid feeling in my hand

...AND I have the day off... Lol..
    I hope so, as this is my first Android device. I've been using webOS for 4 years and Palm OS before that.

- - - Updated - - -

Same specs with the exception of no finger print scanner.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Does it have the exact same specs as the S5? Or were the specs trimmed down a bit?
    Exact same. Only difference seems that there is three hard press buttons in place of the fingerprint scanner. That never functioned right for me anyway..

I actually like this Active. Too bad kijiji has gone down to **** that I can't risk BST.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

I plan on getting this this summer once I save up from my job, I'll be upgrading from the S4. I was originally thinking of getting the S5 so can you describe the differences between the two and tell us which one you like more?

I've heard the Active is thinner than the S5 and its screen is bigger and sharper. Above all, please tell us how the phone feels in the hand. I'm curious about those side bumpers. Also, the battery is removable right?

who offers the active? i mean if i had know about this i would've waited. I like the look of the buttons better and im sure i'de like the feel too instead of trying to make sure i hit the right ones when nothing is showing.
    monicajae likes this.

So jealous! Wish this was available on Verizon, it's exactly what I'm looking for....
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

It's only on att right now. Exact same specs..same screen size and resolution... Same 16mp camera... No difference except the physical buttons in place of the fingerprint scanner and then the rugged design and finally the main difference (IMO) is the redesign of the rear main camera so that it's not so fragile...

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

i will give you 250.00 for the s5
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Mrluky View Post
    i will give you 250.00 for the s5
    Thanks but it wasn't on craigslist a half hour before I was meeting some dude up a walmart...lol

Got $300.
    jleebiker likes this.

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

I'll give you $300 for your Active!

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

i would give 350

400 for the active

Thanks for sharing the info. Please continue giving us your thoughts/observations on this phone.
    I placed my order a few days ago, but att didn't make any progress so I canceled it. Will pickup one in store this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

My active is sitting on my doorstep as we speak. Why are all the reviews saying this phone is a bit snappier than the stock S5? do you notice any differences in performance?

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Not sure about snappier, but I did see side-by-side videos taken by S5 and S5 Active and it sure seemed like the active had better image stabilization.

Apparently the Active has the same battery, but better battery life, according to the Specs that I found on the AT&T website and in random reviews. Can anyone confirm this or hypothesize why? Same processor and everything, no idea why the phone would run more efficiently, on the order of several hours.

My 14-day period of getting the S5 ends TOMORROW and I can return it and get the Active just by paying the restocking fee. Is it worth it? I have 24 hours to decide... Not sure if it will be easy to find a case for the Active. It's already hard enough to track down S5 products. Also, the fingerprint scanner is cool, and I feel like the phone weight will be noticeably different.

Not to get off topic but OP you really sold you S5 for $300? That's generous, when you could've easily got $500 for it.

Anyways, just wanted to say I'm really loving this Active after watching pocketnow's unboxing.

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    Not to get off topic but OP you really sold you S5 for $300? That's generous, when you could've easily got $500 for it.

Anyways, just wanted to say I'm really loving this Active after watching pocketnow's unboxing.
    I know!! I stalk craigslist daily, and would have picked that up and flipped it on Swappa :-)
    Either way, I hope you enjoy your s5 active

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s5

Im currently an iPhone 3GS user who can upgrade on AT&T I really like this phone, my wife had the galaxy 3 and just got the 5 and my mother in law has the galaxy 4. This would be great for me since I have a family full of samsung users

next time start at $500 and be prepared for $425-450

Quote Originally Posted by mkchillin View Post
    I plan on getting this this summer once I save up from my job, I'll be upgrading from the S4. I was originally thinking of getting the S5 so can you describe the differences between the two and tell us which one you like more?

I've heard the Active is thinner than the S5 and its screen is bigger and sharper. Above all, please tell us how the phone feels in the hand. I'm curious about those side bumpers. Also, the battery is removable right?
    Exactly the same screen and according to the specs the Active is slightly thicker but it feels much better in the hand to me than the S5.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Bozzo View Post
    Apparently the Active has the same battery, but better battery life, according to the Specs that I found on the AT&T website and in random reviews. Can anyone confirm this or hypothesize why? Same processor and everything, no idea why the phone would run more efficiently, on the order of several hours.

My 14-day period of getting the S5 ends TOMORROW and I can return it and get the Active just by paying the restocking fee. Is it worth it? I have 24 hours to decide... Not sure if it will be easy to find a case for the Active. It's already hard enough to track down S5 products. Also, the fingerprint scanner is cool, and I feel like the phone weight will be noticeably different.
    I returned my S5 after less than a week and picked up the Active. I found the fingerprint scanner frustrating on the S5 so don't miss it on the Active. As for the weight, on paper the Active is apparently a few grams heavier but it actually seems lighter than the S5. Maybe it's because it has better balance or something not sure.

I didn't own the S5 before the S5 Active but when I went into the store, the Active just felt better in my hand and less slippery (have small hands). Next up, I don't need or care for the fingerprint scanner and I prefer the hard buttons over soft. Next, I've been known for dropping phones a lot and needed something more rugged, the Active was perfect for that. Next, I run outside and play sports and the extra water proofing and stuff just made this phone a no brainer over the stock. It's been great so far, moderate-heavy use and I get over 24hrs of battery life so no need to rush and charge before bed, it can wait until I get into the office. I also paired it with the Gear 2 ($50 off) and love everything about the pair.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast