Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MADDROID1
  • 1 Post By here4kids
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which smartphone is more practical, the iPhone 5s or the Samsung Galaxy S5?

I plan on buying one of these phones and would like to learn more about both of them from people who have firsthand experience.
    By practical, I mean several points:
    1. Which has easier accessibility? i.e. Can both fit in the front pocket of my jeans? Is the Galaxy too big/long?
    2. Which is more accessible to practical, everyday apps? (Not really interested in gaming)
    3. Which has a longer battery life?
    4. Which has a easier-to-use interface?
    5. Which has a better/smoother processor?
    6. Which has a better camera?
    Overall, which phone would you prefer and why? Thanks for all answers.

Hi Regina,

I own both an Apple 5s and the S5. I've been a huge Apple person for quite awhile but wanted to try something different. Hence, the S5. I was primarily interested in the health apps and linking things with the new Samsung Gear lineup. Honestly, it's been a little blah.

I think the Apple platform is more polished and less cluttered or busy. Things also seem to flow more smoothly with the iPhone. Battery life varies greatly depending on how the devices are used and what they may be paired to. I think they're comparable in that department.

Screen size and customizability is great on the S5. That being said, Apple will be releasing a new larger phone lineup this year along with iOS 8, featuring better notifications, messaging refinements, more customizable options (compared to previous iOS versions), their own health setup, etc. Check out macrumors for more info.

Which fits in the pocket? The IPhone wins, hands down. If I have a slim leather sleeve on the S5, or bare, then it's not too bad. Any other case and I constantly feel it in my back pocket. I have a nice leather wallet sleeve by Makr for my iPhone. Even with this, it's still a better fit.

Cameras are both great. In the right environment and with settings set correctly (again..albeit more cluttered), then the S5 may have a bit of an edge.

I say buy and try for a week or so. If it's not a good fit..either/or, then return.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Which smartphone is more practical, the iPhone 5s or the Samsung Galaxy S5?

Humm, Plenty of people here put their S5 in their pockets. I don't so I can't say from first hand knowledge.
    I've always heard (course it could be Apple propaganda) that they have the most and best apps. I think Android is catching up.
    Don't know about 5S but my battery life ROCKS (I'm not a gamer either)
    If my 75 year old mother was buying a smart phone, I would probably lead her in the direction of a IPhone for simplicity.
    Don't know about iPhone but my S5 couldn't be any smoother and it's blazing fast. No lag here.
    SAMSUNG CAMERA!
    Samsung. Love everything about my S5 but also hate all things Apple (that whole operation rubs me the wrong way). So my answer might not be the most unbiased <g>
    Monica

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

Default Re: Which smartphone is more practical, the iPhone 5s or the Samsung Galaxy S5?

Both are great phones
    You will be surprised how quick you adapt to the size of an S5 & its even likely Apple will release a bigger IPhone so that shows there are some overriding plus points to them, especially to reading glass wearers, ie you do not have to put glasses on to send a quick SMS reply
    I always have mine in my pocket not shirt and back pocket is a no no really especially with IPhones
    IPhone does what it says on the box and if there are glitches you are unaware as it rarely reports them so appears more stable
    If you are not (ignoring rooting/jail breaking) in to customization etc and less of an enthusiast you will not get the best out of an S5 and either phone will be fine and Apple seems simple to the less techy to the average novice and Granny , but does have more depth to it if you work at it within it's Apple limitations
    If you hate ITunes then the S5 is an obvious choice
    I always found in RL situations especially on Business trips out of country the freedom of file swapping, storage options etc is when you are glad your not tied to Apple, although they are improving on this front in the next generation, for the more daring there are plenty of things you can do on a S5
    If you buy an IPhone now you may be kicking yourself come September
    As for spec comparisons there is enough on the web to compare these but in reality nothing to split them apart for the average users, finger recognition is all hype and most laptops have been there seen that, S-Health is good for sportsman and will come to iPhone eventually, NFC I have found little use for this
    As for Apps both have more than a million useless apps that you wont need or games in your case all the big apps are on both systems
    Why not get a S5 or IPhone on sale and return, usually costs a $25 re stocking fee and have a play

Quote Originally Posted by Regina BWilliams View Post
    I plan on buying one of these phones and would like to learn more about both of them from people who have firsthand experience.
    1. Which has easier accessibility? i.e. Can both fit in the front pocket of my jeans? Is the Galaxy too big/long?
    2. Which is more accessible to practical, everyday apps? (Not really interested in gaming)

http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-con.../11/38/buy.gif
    I have both and in those areas, the iPhone is better in every single one except for battery life.

I have had both and in my option the s5 is best in every way . The camera is great and the screen is beautiful n there Is no lag

Posted via At&t SAMSUNG GALAXY S5

Recently switched from iPhone 4S to Galaxy S5.
    If you just want to make calls, messages, send pictures the iPhone is simpler. If you like to tinker and become a power user then the Galaxy S5 would be your choice.
    I can never see myself going back to iPhone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Regina BWilliams View Post

http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-con.../11/38/buy.gif
    I had the iPhone 4 then the 5s and traded that in to get the S5. I'd get a new phone every month if I could because I like new toys, sadly I don't have the money for that so I'll have this phone until at least next Oct when I can upgrade again. I wanted the S5 because I wanted a bigger screen and a better camera, plus I liked that I could customize the S5 more than the iPhone. If you get an iPhone, I'd wait until the new iPhone 6 comes out later this year, unless you don't want a larger screen at all. Apple does have better apps (I think), there's more to choose from but it does seem like Android is slowly catching up. Apple is easier to use, it's more black and white and less of a gray area, but Android is fun to customize. My S5 is faster than the 5s ... a lot faster.

I will say that I am disappointed in the S5's camera. It takes great pictures outside in bright light but I keep finding that ANY pictures inside (even when it's during the day and the house is lit) are grainy and blurry. I've played with settings and the best photos are with image stabilization on but that means the pictures take a LONG time to capture and since most are of my daughter who won't stay still, I'm usually out of luck. It's because of that, that I secretly miss my 5s. Things might change but when it's time for me to upgrade, if Apple still has a larger screen and with a better camera than the 5s (which is still good), I'll probably go back to Apple. I'll probably get flamed for that. If I could have one of each and use them both, I would ... but I can't. Also, it has been a pain in the a$$ to send some pictures and videos to my family who ALL have iPhones.

There are pros and cons to each. I'd give both a fair try then make your decision.

I was an iPhone user before I switched. Clearly 1, 2 & 3 belongs to Apple while 4, 5 & 6 goes to Samsung.

Honestly it all boils down if you care about customizing your phone and is it more for work or play?

Personally I see these more as toys and communication second. This is why I switched. Honestly, if you really just want a phone and don't care for apps I would recommend BlackBerry it's small, cheaper and amazing battery life.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Iphone user since 2007. Recently switched to the S5. It takes about a week or two of customization and muscle memory to get comfortable. When you do, you won't regret it.
    I would say buy the s5 first. Use it for the 14 days (within the exchange period). If it's not for you return it for the iphone 5s.

I'd be happy to list some apps that helped me.. Feel free to reach out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

neither phone would fit in my (female) jean's front pocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    debdroid1a likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by here4kids View Post
    neither phone would fit in my (female) jean's front pocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Are they real pockets or those little pouches that can mainly hold coins and aren't really pockets? My girlfriend likes to wear those to and I end up having to hold her phone for her since she can't haha .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I know people will say the iPhone is easier, but it's not. I have a coworker who has the 4s and she couldn't figure out how to send a picture to her work email. I never did that before on an iphone but figured it out. She's in her 50s. My dad in his 70s has an S3. Loves it. Plays simple games, checks time, weather and makes and receives calls. He never had a smart phone before that.

It's all about what you want in a phone. There are lots of comparisons.

I chose the S5 over other android phones (including the M8) because it had the sd card storage. The ear phone jack on top. A removable battery. The nice screen display better then my Droid 4. Chose it over the iPhone because it was android and customizable. No iTunes and it's easy to transfer back and forth data on a computer. Plus no special cord to charge. And I can use my old one (another coworker upgraded to the 5S and couldn't use her old iPhone accessories). I love having apps on the screen where I want them, if at all. I love the apps in the app drawer being alphabetized. I love the widgets and see why apple is adding them. I love the Swiftkey keyboard.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    j1787