I just about doubled my battery life with an app

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with this train of thought.

There is nothing that needs to be pushed to my phone....
I use Battery Doctor's switcher because it is very handy and convenient.

Turn off Data, Wifi, sync, bluetooth and the battery lasts for 4 days minimum.

Phone calls work, text messages work, that is all that is needed on my phone.

Those are all immediately available on my phone's drop menu, I hid most of the rest. OP should probably set a sync rule too to disable wakelocks caused by the task scheduler for sync. Thanks for reminding me! ....but I can do this in a few seconds without an app or menu diving on my Flex.

But why do you need your battery to last for 4 days? Don't you go to sleep? Just plug it in every night.

Then why own a smartphone?

Because we shouldn't need to swap SIMs into a junk phone if we want to spend a couple days outdoors. Paring down to the basics is nice but I'm not going to suggest doing it all the time. This is similar to the notion that people should move to a place with always-on internet if they wanted to play *any* Xbox One games...I wouldn't buy a car with always-on climate control or traction control either.

Whoa whoa whoa. Lets settle down people. 1st of all, I didn't use the phone half as much just so I could extend the battery, and it certainly doesn't take several slow minutes for everything to get caught up. As a matter of fact, by the time I draw my unlock pattern, the data is already on, and facebook already wants to tell me who liked my newest cat video.
If I want to see if a new FB notification exists, I open FB, and wait a whole second, same thing with snapchat or whatever else uses push notifications.
I don't need to know the very second the e-mail comes in from the guy in Africa wanting to give me $1,000,000. When I open the email app, and refresh, I again am ok with waiting the 1.37 seconds for the mail to get pushed to my phone.
I'm a casual user, who uses my phone for work, and for play. Lives do not hinge on my push notifications.
If you have a top secret job where lives or money depend on you reading an e-mail the second it comes in, than that's good for you. Don't turn the data off.
But for MY needs (not yours), this app with these settings work great, and I thought it may be useful to others as well

Being helpful is good. And on phones where these options are buried, an app can be a big time saver. Your and my behaviors are different.

That said, you literally tried to match the active-use time. You improved 'standby/idle' battery time by double with the same SOT, which is about a 40-60% overall increase in proportional run time. But really if it even gets you from 16/2.5 to 24/3.5, that's a big bump. The problem is that 24/4 is what you should have been able to get WITHOUT an app.

Since you are rooted, please use an advanced power monitor to track down the source of this enormous idle power drain. It should help you a lot. And see about disabling sync as well as data...

My Flex is 6.5 hrs SOT, 10 hrs wake lock, 28 hrs run time. With 0-1 bars LTE and nothing disabled. Top consumer is Opera with 30% of all consumption. I refuse to believe you can't make an S5 last even three hours in a single workday of normal use with data on. You may as well just put it in Airplane mode and be done, try that instead for a day...

Instant Push Email is a beautiful thing. i could never give it up.

Yes! And with a few rules on your mail provider side, you can limit inbox notifications to only the more important messages! No more cat video pings from anybody! Or only cat video pings!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
But why do you need your battery to last for 4 days? Don't you go to sleep? Just plug it in every night.

Then why own a smartphone?

You folks are just too tied up with being "instantly available". That is fine, it is not for me.
I have explained many times that after being married to a pager for 45 years, I do NOT want instant notifications on anything, period.

My phone is not crippled. It is just as capable as yours is. I just choose to tell it when I want to have the outside world. doing it my way makes the battery last for 4 and 5 days sometimes. Or, I can just drop it on the wireless charger next to my bed and it is topped off again.

If you don't like the way I do it, fine. Just ignore my methods... but do not decry them as being anything less than "smart". They are very smart... I get to sleep all night without hearing some damn beep in the middle of the night. I have paid my dues in the telecommunications world and that is behind me.

Those of you still married to a pager/cellphone notifications/ ..... go for it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
You folks are just too tied up with being "instantly available". That is fine, it is not for me.
I have explained many times that after being married to a pager for 45 years, I do NOT want instant notifications on anything, period.

My phone is not crippled. It is just as capable as yours is. I just choose to tell it when I want to have the outside world. doing it my way makes the battery last for 4 and 5 days sometimes. Or, I can just drop it on the wireless charger next to my bed and it is topped off again.

If you don't like the way I do it, fine. Just ignore my methods... but do not decry them as being anything less than "smart". They are very smart... I get to sleep all night without hearing some damn beep in the middle of the night. I have paid my dues in the telecommunications world and that is behind me.

oh you're an old guy. that explains it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You hear those? Shoot my phone would have to slap me when it gets an email or text... Otherwise I sleep right through it :p.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

That's like my dad. 70 yo. Has an S3. He just charges his, no big deal.

I have Silent Time in mine for night and work. The only notification sound will come from my dad or aunt. But I've already used 7gb of data in my billing cycle because this is my smart phone/handheld computer. I do check for a few push notifications I have while on silent time. I've eliminated junk mail and can't remember the last time I had an offer for 5 million dollars if I send then $200...

If I had a wireless charger I wouldn't worry about battery life at all. That would be the least of my worries.
I hardly ever charge mine at work at all and that's with watching a TV show during lunch. Only time I charge it is when I'm going somewhere at night and won't be able to charge it for hours.

Posted via Android Central App

ameswilliam

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I read the opening remarks and went to play store and the app's description reads just like tasker. What battery saving feature this app has that you can't program in tasker?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Hmm, I think you could take the same advice. The post I replied to was YOU disagreeing with the viewpoint of another poster. If you don't like the way he does it, "fine, just ignore his methods." OTOH, if you're going to disagree with someone else, don't be surprised if people disagree with you.

And you didn't really explain why you need the battery to last 4 or 5 days.

No it doesn't. I'm an "old guy," too, but like to know what's going on around me.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I think you could take the same advice. The post I replied to was YOU disagreeing with the viewpoint of another poster. If you don't like the way he does it, "fine, just ignore his methods." OTOH, if you're going to disagree with someone else, don't be surprised if people disagree with you.

And you didn't really explain why you need the battery to last 4 or 5 days.

No it doesn't. I'm an "old guy," too, but like to know what's going on around me.

no you're not that old. this guy has "been married to a pager for 45 years". you know what that makes him? a senior citizen.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Pagers are not that old. '69 was back when the Moon was still a thing. Stop making age related dismissive remarks.

OP, please take five minutes in the battery thread in this subforum. Your SOT is *baaad* and you need to find out why.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with this train of thought.

There is nothing that needs to be pushed to my phone....
I use Battery Doctor's switcher because it is very handy and convenient.

Turn off Data, Wifi, sync, bluetooth and the battery lasts for 4 days minimum.

Phone calls work, text messages work, that is all that is needed on my phone.

Why not use a dumb phone if you simply need calls and texts?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a novel idea! Why don't we all use our phones in a way that makes us happy and works for our lifestyle and likes and let others do the same. As long as no one is breaking the law or and being responsible, who the heck in the world cares how we use the phones! Just sayin' :D Isn't there something else we can talk about on this forum other than battery life?
Monica

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a novel idea! Why don't we all use our phones in a way that makes us happy and works for our lifestyle and likes and let others do the same. As long as no one is breaking the law or and being responsible, who the heck in the world cares how we use the phones! Just sayin' :D Isn't there something else we can talk about on this forum other than battery life?
Monica

I, 100% agree. Each of us has a different lifestyle, and how we use the phone is completely up to the individual.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Why not use a dumb phone if you simply need calls and texts?

Because most of the remaining bricks are 900% garbage with 3hr calling time and no useful features. You may as well buy a chinese dual-sim wristwatch phones with refined 80s-style aesthetic. If you think I am joking, look on eBay and AliExpress.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Because most of the remaining bricks are 900% garbage with 3hr calling time and no useful features. You may as well buy a chinese dual-sim wristwatch phones with refined 80s-style aesthetic. If you think I am joking, look on eBay and AliExpress.

The person I quoted indicated he needed simple calls and texts. Your usage may be different.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The person I quoted indicated he needed simple calls and texts. Your usage may be different.

A lot of the remaining dumbphones cannot even be trusted for calls and texts, is what I am trying to get across. And they can never do anything more such as take a decent picture when you have no other camera...

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My husband has a basic phone, Casio G'zOne Ravine II . All he wants to do is call and text. It's never failed him. It's military grade and with his job and lifestyle, he NEEDS it. I'm afraid there's not a smart phone that can handle what he would put one thru.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My husband has a basic phone, Casio G'zOne Ravine II . All he wants to do is call and text. It's never failed him. It's military grade and with his job and lifestyle, he NEEDS it. I'm afraid there's not a smart phone that can handle what he would put one thru.

I paid big bucks for one of those for my wife. She constantly looses her phone and it slides out of her wheelchair and hits the concrete floors on the patios and garage areas.

It lasted about one year and it quit.

I searched for a used one and it was priced way too high. I found her an LG in my closet from previous use and said "here, don't drop it".

LJ Washington

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
GEKKO -- You are too funny!!! I'm sitting here working on a voicemail system and I started at 2am. My cell phone went off and someone needed help. I got 30 years in the biz so I can feel you comment; especially tonight when I have spent an hours working with a guy on logging in to a server just to see what the status is and then come to find out that he is sitting in front of the WRONG Server.
The point is when I'm off I never answer or respond to ANY phone calls, emails and such. "I'm with ya on that"
As far as the SG5- If you use the power saver mode you will get great battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34