Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I just about doubled my battery life with an app

I saw a couple people using an app called *Automateit*, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
    Using the 4 rules in the attached screenshot, I doubled my battery life.
    I tried to replicate the screen on time as close to each other as possible, and I got pretty close.
    You'll notice that in the *with automateit* picture, I still had 5% left, which is about 3 hours for me.
    Needless to say, I spent the whole $2 for the pro version of the app. There's not 1 of us in here that can't pony up the $2, so why not give it a whirl.
    Normally, i'm at about 20% when I get home from work, and by the time I go to bed, my battery is junk.
    Yesterday I got home with 50% left, and no change in how I use the phone from day to day.
    Woke up at 7am to 30%, and by 11 am, down to 5%, and could have gone till about 2pm.
    I don't need to know the second someone responds to a post on facebook, and I don't need to see the second a snapchat comes in, and the only time I want the gps active, is when I'm lost.
    Along with these 4 rules I have posted, I have wifi off (unless I'm home), and location off.
    I';m not saying this will work for you, but it couldn't hurt to try..

I just about doubled my battery life with an app-without.pngI just about doubled my battery life with an app-.pngI just about doubled my battery life with an app-rules.jpg

Default Re: I just about doubled my battery life with an app

Question, why/how did you change those icons?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm rooted.

I'm using battery doctor with great results. I like to root my S5 soon too.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Not rooted. All features/fluff activated. 4 hours screen time. Works for my needs.
    I just about doubled my battery life with an app-screenshot-june-4.jpg
    Thanked by:
    debdroid1a likes this.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

I'm going to try it tomorrow. But what's the advantage of buying the app?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

With the full version, you can download unlimited rules from the rules market, instead of having to trial and error when you make your own rules

Most definitely turning off mobile data when screen is off would extend standby time. But it won't really help SOT. Turning off gps should have minimal effect. Btw, you can do similar with powersave

http://www.androidcentral.com/using-...sung-galaxy-s5

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Moto G

ok, so is it hard to root.... and does that cause any glitches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    25,267 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by here4kids View Post
    ok, so is it hard to root.... and does that cause any glitches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Depending on the device/carrier, it can be pretty easy. It doesn't cause any glitches, but rooting does void part or all of your warranty.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Does it take any noticable amount of time for data to turn back on when you turn the screen on?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by agolz12 View Post
    Does it take any noticable amount of time for data to turn back on when you turn the screen on?
    No

I have used automateit before, it wasn't a bad app, but I prefer Tasker, which seemed to work better for my needs. Tasker can do this and many other things.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by dad2noah View Post
    I saw a couple people using an app called *Automateit*, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
    I tried to replicate the screen on time as close to each other as possible, and I got pretty close.
    You'll notice that in the *with automateit* picture, I still had 5% left, which is about 3 hours for me.
    Needless to say, I spent the whole $2 for the pro version of the app. There's not 1 of us in here that can't pony up the $2, so why not give it a whirl.
    Normally, i'm at about 20% when I get home from work, and by the time I go to bed, my battery is junk.
    Yesterday I got home with 50% left, and no change in how I use the phone from day to day.
    Woke up at 7am to 30%, and by 11 am, down to 5%, and could have gone till about 2pm.
    I don't need to know the second someone responds to a post on facebook, and I don't need to see the second a snapchat comes in, and the only time I want the gps active, is when I'm lost.
    Along with these 4 rules I have posted, I have wifi off (unless I'm home), and location off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	without.png 
Views:	265 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	121599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	with.png 
Views:	261 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	121600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rules.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	121601
    2 dollars or not I see no need for a battery saving app. They all mainly do one thing.. Disable data when screen is off. I'd rather have my data on so I can receive push messages.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.
    fantom305 and debdroid1a like this.

This is not a fair comparison. Being able to go two days has zero bearing when you 1) use the phone half as much (SOT) per day and 2) receive zero notifications unless you waste time waking the phone up and using it for several slow minutes as all the background junkware gets caught up on what's been happening. 2.5hrs screen time is very very bad unless you are using some highly intensive app, which should have appeared in your battery list.

System and OS are consuming enormous amounts of power, for what? You need to use GSAM or similar, ESPECIALLY since rooted. Find out what is wakelocking your phone into a higher consumption state.

I am camped in a valley on my Flex, with LTE 0-1 bars and everything except Knockon running. Shot some video, spent some time online. 25hrs, 5hrs SOT, 35% battery *with* eight hours of wakelock and all data running normally. You should be getting closer to at minimum four hours screen per twenty-four hour period on your S5.
    debdroid1a likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    2 dollars or not I see no need for a battery saving app. They all mainly do one thing.. Disable data when screen is off. I'd rather have my data on so I can receive push messages.

I disagree with this train of thought.

There is nothing that needs to be pushed to my phone....
    I use Battery Doctor's switcher because it is very handy and convenient.

Turn off Data, Wifi, sync, bluetooth and the battery lasts for 4 days minimum.

Phone calls work, text messages work, that is all that is needed on my phone.
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post

Even if you disagree all they do is disable it. Something I could do on my own if it really bothered me.

debdroid1a likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post

+1 I've never understood why someone would want to buy a smartphone and then castrate it. I need to get notified of email (and other things) when it comes in, not when I remember to take the phone out of my pocket and turn it on.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by:

But why do you need your battery to last for 4 days? Don't you go to sleep? Just plug it in every night.

Then why own a smartphone?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    This is not a fair comparison. Being able to go two days has zero bearing when you 1) use the phone half as much (SOT) per day and 2) receive zero notifications unless you waste time waking the phone up and using it for several slow minutes as all the background junkware gets caught up on what's been happening..
    Whoa whoa whoa. Lets settle down people. 1st of all, I didn't use the phone half as much just so I could extend the battery, and it certainly doesn't take several slow minutes for everything to get caught up. As a matter of fact, by the time I draw my unlock pattern, the data is already on, and facebook already wants to tell me who liked my newest cat video.
    If I want to see if a new FB notification exists, I open FB, and wait a whole second, same thing with snapchat or whatever else uses push notifications.
    I don't need to know the very second the e-mail comes in from the guy in Africa wanting to give me $1,000,000. When I open the email app, and refresh, I again am ok with waiting the 1.37 seconds for the mail to get pushed to my phone.
    I'm a casual user, who uses my phone for work, and for play. Lives do not hinge on my push notifications.
    If you have a top secret job where lives or money depend on you reading an e-mail the second it comes in, than that's good for you. Don't turn the data off.
    But for MY needs (not yours), this app with these settings work great, and I thought it may be useful to others as well

Instant Push Email is a beautiful thing. i could never give it up.
    mariusfilip and debdroid1a like this.

Those are all immediately available on my phone's drop menu, I hid most of the rest. OP should probably set a sync rule too to disable wakelocks caused by the task scheduler for sync. Thanks for reminding me! ....but I can do this in a few seconds without an app or menu diving on my Flex.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    But why do you need your battery to last for 4 days? Don't you go to sleep? Just plug it in every night.

Because we shouldn't need to swap SIMs into a junk phone if we want to spend a couple days outdoors. Paring down to the basics is nice but I'm not going to suggest doing it all the time. This is similar to the notion that people should move to a place with always-on internet if they wanted to play *any* Xbox One games...I wouldn't buy a car with always-on climate control or traction control either.

Whoa whoa whoa. Lets settle down people. 1st of all, I didn't use the phone half as much just so I could extend the battery, and it certainly doesn't take several slow minutes for everything to get caught up. As a matter of fact, by the time I draw my unlock pattern, the data is already on, and facebook already wants to tell me who liked my newest cat video.
    If I want to see if a new FB notification exists, I open FB, and wait a whole second, same thing with snapchat or whatever else uses push notifications.
    I don't need to know the very second the e-mail comes in from the guy in Africa wanting to give me $1,000,000. When I open the email app, and refresh, I again am ok with waiting the 1.37 seconds for the mail to get pushed to my phone.
    I'm a casual user, who uses my phone for work, and for play. Lives do not hinge on my push notifications.
    If you have a top secret job where lives or money depend on you reading an e-mail the second it comes in, than that's good for you. Don't turn the data off.
    But for MY needs (not yours), this app with these settings work great, and I thought it may be useful to others as well
    Being helpful is good. And on phones where these options are buried, an app can be a big time saver. Your and my behaviors are different.

That said, you literally tried to match the active-use time. You improved 'standby/idle' battery time by double with the same SOT, which is about a 40-60% overall increase in proportional run time. But really if it even gets you from 16/2.5 to 24/3.5, that's a big bump. The problem is that 24/4 is what you should have been able to get WITHOUT an app.

Since you are rooted, please use an advanced power monitor to track down the source of this enormous idle power drain. It should help you a lot. And see about disabling sync as well as data...

My Flex is 6.5 hrs SOT, 10 hrs wake lock, 28 hrs run time. With 0-1 bars LTE and nothing disabled. Top consumer is Opera with 30% of all consumption. I refuse to believe you can't make an S5 last even three hours in a single workday of normal use with data on. You may as well just put it in Airplane mode and be done, try that instead for a day...

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Instant Push Email is a beautiful thing. i could never give it up.
    Yes! And with a few rules on your mail provider side, you can limit inbox notifications to only the more important messages! No more cat video pings from anybody! Or only cat video pings!

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

You folks are just too tied up with being "instantly available". That is fine, it is not for me.
    I have explained many times that after being married to a pager for 45 years, I do NOT want instant notifications on anything, period.

My phone is not crippled. It is just as capable as yours is. I just choose to tell it when I want to have the outside world. doing it my way makes the battery last for 4 and 5 days sometimes. Or, I can just drop it on the wireless charger next to my bed and it is topped off again.

If you don't like the way I do it, fine. Just ignore my methods... but do not decry them as being anything less than "smart". They are very smart... I get to sleep all night without hearing some damn beep in the middle of the night. I have paid my dues in the telecommunications world and that is behind me.

Those of you still married to a pager/cellphone notifications/ ..... go for it.
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

Relgoshan and jaleesag88 like this.

You folks are just too tied up with being "instantly available". That is fine, it is not for me.
    I have explained many times that after being married to a pager for 45 years, I do NOT want instant notifications on anything, period.

My phone is not crippled. It is just as capable as yours is. I just choose to tell it when I want to have the outside world. doing it my way makes the battery last for 4 and 5 days sometimes. Or, I can just drop it on the wireless charger next to my bed and it is topped off again.

If you don't like the way I do it, fine. Just ignore my methods... but do not decry them as being anything less than "smart". They are very smart... I get to sleep all night without hearing some damn beep in the middle of the night. I have paid my dues in the telecommunications world and that is behind me.

oh you're an old guy. that explains it.

You hear those? Shoot my phone would have to slap me when it gets an email or text... Otherwise I sleep right through it :P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast