Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gsparky
  • 1 Post By Yvonne Scahill
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry How change the behavior of the Samsung Galaxy S5 when selecting "Favorites" in "Contacts".

I just upgraded from a Galaxy S2 to the S5 (also switched from Sprint to Verizon). I have all of my data transferred over. I went to send a text message to someone in my "Favorites" in "Contacts". I discovered that, as soon as I press the icon for that person, the S5 begins a phone call. I don't want it to do that. I just want to send a text message (most of the time), or do a call (some times), or send an e-mail (the rest of the time). I've scoured the interwebz, gone through every "Help" section on the phone, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change this behavior. I just want the thing to pop up the contact so that I can select what I want to do (call, text, e-mail, etc). Anyone know a way to do this? I'm getting really annoyed with this new phone, and it isn't even a few hours old yet.
    UPDATE: Never mind! It turns out that if you select "List View" rather than "Icon View", it gives me the behavior I want. Problem solved (annoyance relieved).
    Last edited by Gsparky; 06-04-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: PROBLEM SOLVED.
    SpasticPat likes this.

Default Re: How change the behavior of the Samsung Galaxy S5 when selecting "Favorites" in "Contacts".

Yeah and you can swipe the contact to the right to call them automatically, or swipe them to the left to send them a message.

Default Re: How change the behavior of the Samsung Galaxy S5 when selecting "Favorites" in "Contacts".

I've been struggling for weeks to get the listview. I know I have had it, but I can't get it back and I'm getting crazy. Have been googling without result, all that comes up is how I do this in code, or similiar. So. Annoying.

So, how do I get the list view rather then Icon view, please?

Thanks alot.
    inkui

Noone?

I'm a new android user and the only thing I found is that in the message app you can have favorites at the top which you can put in order of who you text the most. I don't like the favorites on the phone app because you can't sort it by who you call the most. Arrrrh!

Hope that helps.

Sorry another thing...You can put the person on your home screen and when you click on that person you can choose what form of communication you want, phone, text, email facebook etc. This is the way I would organize my favorites versus using the phone app.

Y.S.
    iphone5s likes this.

how do i change it to list view? thanks

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Try this, contacts> favorites> click on the 3 dots in the right top corner. You should see in that list "list view", tap that and it will change the view. Follow the same steps if you want to get back the "grid view". Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm having the same problem and when I select favorites and click on the 3 dots in the right top corner, the only options I'm given are: Select, Remove from Favorites or Help; none of which solves the problem. Even help isn't any help. Any other suggestions?

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Sorry it didn't work. I have 4 options in that menu, the 3rd being "list/grid view". Strange. I wonder if it could be a carrier decision? I'm with AT&T.

I'm with Fido in Canada

Same as Sawdusterlarry. My carrier is T Mobile but I can't see why the carrier would have any influence over the device's settings. If anyone can offer an explanation for whether this is a possibility and/or answer why we can't have the List view, please help.
    Last edited by Mexicansunrise; 08-16-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

I'm sorry I couldn't help, wish I could do more.

Thanks everyone for the input.
    Sadly I with those who's only got three options when clicking the dots. Select and remove from favorites is pretty much the same on top of all... =/ My carrier is "Tre" (Swedish for three, 3).

I recall I had the list view when I got the phone. Could it be a (stupid) update who caused this? I don't really know what sort of version I should be looking for, but I'm at Android version 4.4.2 and securitysoftwareversion MDF v1.0 Release 3 VPN v1.4 Release 1.

This is so annoying. One of the really really good UI functions I'd say.

I am with Verizon and I cannot change between list and grid view. However, if I press the small circle with the "i" in it, I get a pop up to let me choose how I wish to contact the person.

This is NOT a carrier specific issue. It is happening on all carriers with the newest OTA update. The option to change the view has disappeared for all folders in contacts. The favorites is locked in grid view. I hope they fix this soon.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne Scahill View Post
    I'm a new android user and the only thing I found is that in the message app you can have favorites at the top which you can put in order of who you text the most. I don't like the favorites on the phone app because you can't sort it by who you call the most. Arrrrh!
    Hope that helps.
    Within the phone app a list view is created below the grid of your favorites. That list consists of your most frequently called numbers. In that list you can also swipe left or right to call or text.

Default Re: The loss of the List option in Favorites.

Ref the loss of the option in Favorites to show the List. I too think it was a stupid omission.
    (I'm using AT&T and this issue started with the latest download of Ver 4.4.2)
    As a temporary work around you might want to try this.
    Simply delete your favorites. Touch and press anyone on the list and you'll get a select option.
    Check all of them and then press the trash can.
    With the Favorite Screen gone, you'll then see the LIST of Frequently Contacted People and if you have a photo of them, you'll see a small one followed by their name.
    It's almost like getting your List back and with a few new frequent calls getting thrown in being the only drawback- which you can easily delete.
    I personally did it and the only Favorite I left was one I created for Voice Mail.