Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default stop google contacts

I have contacts for my phone but every time I turn around there are linked google contacts. I might be in the minority but I do not want or like google contacts. Is there a way to stop that from happening ? It is a pain to unlink and then delete those all the time.

Global Posts
    20,686 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: stop google contacts

If you go into Settings>Accounts>Google then click on your gmail, you can uncheck things you don't want to sync. Then when you go through your contacts the next time, it should be your last.

Keep in mind, this will erase what Google has on their servers. So any resets that happen by accident or intent, your contacts will be lost if you don't manually back them up.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    If you go into Settings>Accounts>Google then click on your gmail, you can uncheck things you don't want to sync. Then when you go through your contacts the next time, it should be your last.

Keep in mind, this will erase what Google has on their servers. So any resets that happen by accident or intent, your contacts will be lost if you don't manually back them up.
    I do not have "Sync Contacts" selected. I do however have the following checked...

App Data
    Calendar
    Gmail
    Google+
    Keep

Are one of those causing this issue I described ?

Global Posts
    20,686 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear8 View Post
    I do not have "Sync Contacts" selected. I do however have the following checked...

App Data
    Calendar
    Gmail
    Google+
    Keep

Are one of those causing this issue I described ?
    Not that I am aware of. Perhaps there is a setting in Contacts to change?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I disabled most of the Google stuff because I did not appreciate having "duplicate contact lists".

Google branded apps I turned OFF:

Calendar Sync, Contacts Sync, Play Games, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Play Newstand, Hangouts, Isis Mobile Wallet
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Not that I am aware of. Perhaps there is a setting in Contacts to change?
    I just went through the contacts settings and did not find anything to help me
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    I disabled most of the Google stuff because I did not appreciate having "duplicate contact lists".
    Calendar Sync, Contacts Sync, Play Games, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Play Newstand, Hangouts, Isis Mobile Wallet
    I have disabled most of those through settings -> applications
    I did not however see "Contacts Sync", is that an application you turned off ? or just unchecked in settings -> accounts -> google ? Cause I have already done that but doesn't seem to take effect.

Global Posts
    8,409 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I just went through the contacts settings and did not find anything to help me
    If you go into the Contacts or People app there should be an option within the settings to display certain contacts: phone, google, etc.

I don't have the S5, so I'm kind of going off of my Nexus 5 and previous devices. Look through the settings and see if there's anything in there to display certain contacts.

Global Posts
    8,409 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Here's an AC Post that shows you how to set favorites if you also want to have quicker access to certain contacts as opposed to scrolling through all contacts: How to set favorite contacts on the Galaxy S5 | Android Central

I know that's not what you are looking for, but thought that may be a good reference to have.

I have disabled most of those through settings -> applications
    I did not however see "Contacts Sync", is that an application you turned off ? or just unchecked in settings -> accounts -> google ? Cause I have already done that but doesn't seem to take effect.
    Originally Posted by AZgl1500

You goto ....../apps mgr/ALL
    You will NOT find a setting in any menu.

Here is a screenshot of my phone in the ...../apps mgr/Turned OFF screen.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stop google contacts-screenshot_google-sync-off.jpg  
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
    Thanked by: