Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZgl1500
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Text Blocking

    So I've been googling and searching and having trouble nailing down the answer.

    Friend of mine has the Galaxy S5 through Verizon
    Keeps receiving texts from somebody that she doesn't want to receive texts from.

    I've been trying to locate how to block the incoming text. On my S4 I see where I can choose to add the contact to "spam number." I don't see this option on the S5. I looked at the blocking list, but this only blocks a phone call I'm assuming since I added the number and she is still receiving the texts. Anywho, I was going to look in the app store but was wondering if I can do it natively. Thanks for any help.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    Have her download Reverse Lookup

    That will divert Phone Calls for sure. I have not needed it for Text Messages.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erselookupfree

    Regardless, it is a valuable tool for my toolbox.
    Anything you divert can be unblocked if you wish.

    I did a text search for "block text messages" and the following list came up.
    I cannot give you any info on them.


    https://play.google.com/store/search...android&c=apps


    .
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
    Thanked by:
    rob damiani likes this.
  3. #3  
    RawisTheGameHhH's Avatar

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Stallman View Post
    So I've been googling and searching and having trouble nailing down the answer.

    Friend of mine has the Galaxy S5 through Verizon
    Keeps receiving texts from somebody that she doesn't want to receive texts from.

    I've been trying to locate how to block the incoming text. On my S4 I see where I can choose to add the contact to "spam number." I don't see this option on the S5. I looked at the blocking list, but this only blocks a phone call I'm assuming since I added the number and she is still receiving the texts. Anywho, I was going to look in the app store but was wondering if I can do it natively. Thanks for any help.
    go into your text messages and click on the menu button in the upper right and go to settings; scroll down to the bottom and turn on spam filter; you can add numbers there
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    They can download Mr. Numbers.they can block texts and numbers

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    So I should have mentioned this also. I have tried going into setting etc. There is NOTHING about a spam filter in there. I've found directions on how to do this. Go into settings/spam filter on/add #
    Prob is that option isn't on the phone. I went into system settings/apps/messaging/ same thing. Nothing. Long press on the conversation...nothing. It's driving me batty.
    And she uses stock everything. No skins, etc.
  6. #6  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,684 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,687 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    I think this is a feature left out on the Verizon model. There's another thread with the OP having the same problem and is also on Verizon: Verizon s5 text message blocking possible?

    Users on AT&T who were helping have the spam option but the OP, on Verizon, does not. If it's not there then the only option would be to use a third-party app, which may not be what your friend wants to do. Does Verizon allow you to block numbers from the account page via the web? Meaning, you'd have to log into your Verizon account and see if there is a blacklist option.

    Let us know what your friend ends up doing.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    Just wanted to let you know I was just trying to do this as well. If you haven't found a solution yet, I did. You can log into your Verizon account online and click on "contact us" in the upper right corner. Then choose "my device" under "what can we help you with?". If you scroll down a little, there should be "text/call blocking" under troubleshooting. You can enter specific phone numbers there. I was told when that person attempts to contact, their text will bounce back as undeliverable and their call will reach a recording that it can't be completed.

    By the way - I downloaded 2 different apps, Dead2Me and Mr. Number and neither of them worked!
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Morris1 View Post
    Just wanted to let you know I was just trying to do this as well. If you haven't found a solution yet, I did. You can log into your Verizon account online and click on "contact us" in the upper right corner. Then choose "my device" under "what can we help you with?". If you scroll down a little, there should be "text/call blocking" under troubleshooting. You can enter specific phone numbers there. I was told when that person attempts to contact, their text will bounce back as undeliverable and their call will reach a recording that it can't be completed.

    By the way - I downloaded 2 different apps, Dead2Me and Mr. Number and neither of them worked!
    Yes, that has been a Verizon "feature" for a long while. It is just a PITA to get it done for each and every number you want to block.

    I use Reverse Number, and that sucker will throw an unwanted number into limbo land. It puts the unwanted number into your Contact List with a prefix making it sort to the bottom of the list out of the way. It tags that number as "no answer, no call forwarding..." your choice.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    Had a call last night from a New Mexico number that wanted permission to put up a sign in my front yard for AT&T Security.
    Enter '1' for yes,
    Enter '9' for "Do Not Call List"

    guess which I chose
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
  10. #10  
    ibcop's Avatar

    Posts
    2,071 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,694 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Had a call last night from a New Mexico number that wanted permission to put up a sign in my front yard for AT&T Security.
    Enter '1' for yes,
    Enter '9' for "Do Not Call List"

    guess which I chose
    Do you really think that will work? Not. Block the number by adding it to the reject list.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    It should be in your messages settings... Open messages, hold the menu button for settings, and it should be there

    I have the AT&T version if it matters



    Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    It should be in your messages settings... Open messages, hold the menu button for settings, and it should be there

    I have the AT&T version if it matters

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/21/bumu6ate.jpg

    Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    I'm on Verizon and that option is NOT there.

    Last edited by Mojave; 06-20-2014 at 06:14 PM.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I'm on Verizon and that option is NOT there.

    http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/z...0-18-03-51.png
    Really wow I wonder why Verizon took that feature off
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -
  14. #14  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    5,915 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,244 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    Verizon keeps messing with good stuff. I have Sprint and I do have the spam filter for messages.
    Text Blocking-1403306967902.jpg

    Sent From Inside The TARDIS With My Galaxy S5
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    There is a text blocking option in hangouts if you want to use that instead of stock

    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Text Blocking

    I use Go SMS Pro and it has a spam filter.

    Darn good message app, it will send MMS to phones that don't have MMS capability.
    How? It stores the MMS on a web host and sends a link to that host to the other phone.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON

Similar Threads

  1. Can't send texts anymore
    By s3ars in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 05:07 PM
  2. Razor HD, Kitkat ford sync text messaging
    By moehickey in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2014, 08:02 AM
  3. Voice to text issue on my phone
    By ale11 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2014, 06:26 AM
  4. Some Contacts Don't Receive My Text Messages
    By charlieclara in forum HTC One
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2014, 06:16 AM
  5. No pics over 32K through text
    By creek4353 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2014, 03:21 AM

Posting Permissions