Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck757
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S5 won't turn on at all. PLEASE HELP FELLOW PHONE OWNERS!!!!

I just got the s5 2 days ago from Verizon. It has worked great until this morning. I was playing a game of plants vs. zombies 2. When I closed the game out, a screen popped up asking me to choose my wifi connection. When I tried to ignore that box, the screen froze up and became unresponsive. Soon after, the phone shut off completely. I have been unable to turn it back on since.

The battery still had about 45% left when I closed the game. I have tried connecting it to the charger, but the charging light won't turn on. I took the battery out several times, but again it still won't turn on.

I took it to a Z Wireless store in town today. All he did was take the battery out and attempt to turn it back on. The samsung logo popped up and we both assumed it was fine. Unfortunately as I got into my car, I noticed it didn't fully boot up.

So I took the phone back to the store. He told me that I would have to take it back to the store that I purchased it because he had no idea what the problem was. One forty five minute drive later, I take the phone into the Verizon store that I purchased the phone. The employee pressed the power button and it came back on perfectly. It showed a 15% battery level, down from my original 45%. He plugged it into his charger and it showed it charging just fine. He explained that the phone most likely is going through a major update since it was just activated a couple of days ago. Another employee said that it will have to cycle through all of my apps as well. He said he sees it happen to a small percentage of smart phones across the board. According to him the phone will be fine. He sent me on my way only for me to discover on my drive home after his charger was disconnected that the phone powered down and would not turn on again.

So here I am over an hour and a half drive later nowhere closer to having a working phone. The small glimpse I got of the battery graphic before it disappeared was a completely drained battery. Two different chargers, two outlets, and a pc plugin later still won't charge the phone. Recovery mode still will not work so I can't even factory reset it.

Please someone tell me what the heck is going on with my now $600 brick. Is this a common occurrence that has an easy fix or am I destined to drive another 45 minutes to angrily demand a replacement before the 14 day warranty is up?

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

Default Re: S5 won't turn on at all. PLEASE HELP FELLOW PHONE OWNERS!!!!

Seems like a faulty battery I would go back to store and try a different battery from a display unit before asking for a replacement, have a coffee and check the phone status before driving back home

Make sure you are using the 2.0A charger that came with your phone and that it's putting out the full Amps. Also use a good usb3.0 cable. Older 1.0A chargers just don't have the capacity to charge that battery with the phone on. The same goes for car chargers. Get a 2.0A unit
    debdroid1a likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'm using the charger that came with the phone. It doesn't seem to be doing anything. I used a suggestion from the s3 that seemed to have the same issue. I took out the battery for about 2 minutes, then plugged in the charger, and then put the battery back in. The battery graphic popped up and stayed on. I left it on for about an hour but it still wouldn't turn on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck757 View Post
    Make sure you are using the 2.0A charger that came with your phone and that it's putting out the full Amps. Also use a good usb3.0 cable. Older 1.0A chargers just don't have the capacity to charge that battery with the phone on. The same goes for car chargers. Get a 2.0A unit
    I agree, I have tested older cables and a/c adapter modules. They will NOT properly charge the S5's battery at a decent rate.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

I am literally having the same issue right now! Any update on how it was fixed if at all? I really don't want a new $600 paper weight...

Try plugging the phone to the charger and then hold down both the power and home button to see if the phone comes on then.

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by asamsungusersomewhere View Post
    I am literally having the same issue right now! Any update on how it was fixed if at all? I really don't want a new $600 paper weight...
    Have you tried removing the battery, let it set for a couple minutes so all internal voltages drain off the components.

Then put the battery back in, connect the charger, and do as said above, hold down the home key and the Power Button and see if it will respond then.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON