Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android4life

Default Question about "Select Runtime System"

What is the difference between ART and Dalvik in the "Select Runtime System" in developer mode and how do they affect the Android operating system and my S5?

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5

Global Posts
    21,586 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Question about "Select Runtime System"

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    What is the difference between ART and Dalvik in the "Select Runtime System" in developer mode and how do they affect the Android operating system and my S5?

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    It is how the apps are set up for the OS. ART is easier on the OS than Dalvik is, but right now it is still somewhat in Beta. A lot of apps don't run well with it (more like they aren't coded for it)

This is more the layman explaination though. I don't understand it fully to give a more technical or precise breakdown.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Question about "Select Runtime System"

do a search for the terms "art versus dalvik " and you will get a lot of hits from good sources.

A word from Google

ART is a new Android runtime being introduced experimentally in the 4.4 release KitKat. This is a preview of work in progress in KitKat. It is available for the purpose of obtaining early developer and partner feedback. - Android developers
    In other words, ART is still an ongoing project, considered too unstable to be introduced as a standard runtime. Luckily, there is no special hacking involved to get it running.
    You can choose to use it by going to "Settings> Developer Options> Select Runtime" and choosing ART.

And this from a YouTube article:

Published on Nov 13, 2013
    ART is a big deal. Standing for Android Runtime, it has the potential to make lower end devices blaze through apps, and will result in a smoother, faster experience for all Android users. Check it out! Only in Android 4.4.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
    Thanked by: