Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Love my S5 but one little problem

I have to say I've had my S5 going on 2 months now and I couldn't be happier, but the only thing that bothers me is the charger. I'm so use to the micro. I have no idea why they made it like this. Half the time I feel like I'll break it trying to put the charger in.

What are your thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App Using Samsung Galaxy S5
    jpr

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

Default Re: Love my S5 but one little problem

You know you can use a micro USB cable if you prefer, right? They made it with a USB 3.0 port so that your could get the benefits of faster charging and data transfer when connected to a computer.

Not that I have broke any but I lost count on how many I heard broke their charging ports.

There is a benefit as it charges & transfers files faster. Hopefully we will see USB 3.1 (similar to Apple's Lightning cable) by the time Samsung releases S6? Until then just be more careful or upgrade to Samsung's Wireless Back Charger like I did. It's slower but I don't have to deal with it and the flap cover as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtenay Dawn View Post
    I have to say I've had my S5 going on 2 months now and I couldn't be happier, but the only thing that bothers me is the charger. I'm so use to the micro. I have no idea why they made it like this. Half the time I feel like I'll break it trying to put the charger in.

What are your thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App Using Samsung Galaxy S5
    Samsung made it usb 3.0 because this standard allows for faster data exchange when hooked up to a pc. It does NOT charge the phone faster. As stated.. you can use a micro usb to charge your phone if you wish. As far as the charger port cover is concerned you just have to be careful when opening and closing it. The downside to wireless charging is that it charges slower and you can't use your phone while it's charging.
    jpr

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Samsung made it usb 3.0 because this standard allows for faster data exchange when hooked up to a pc. It does NOT charge the phone faster. As stated.. you can use a micro usb to charge your phone if you wish. As far as the charger port cover is concerned you just have to be careful when opening and closing it. The downside to wireless charging is that it charges slower and you can't use your phone while it's charging.
    It does charge the phone faster when connected to a computer usb 3.0 port.

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    It does charge the phone faster when connected to a computer usb 3.0 port.
    To a computer... yes, but not the normal way of charging.
    jpr

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

To a computer... yes, but not the normal way of charging.
    Well both my posts said when connected to a computer. A significant number of people charge their phones this way, so it is definitely an important feature to many.

You can charge the phone via wireless and talk at the same time, Providing you are using a BT headset as I do.

I was on BT conversation when I laid the phone on the pad yesterday and I was pleased to hear the Wireless charging notification beep in the BT headset. The normal display occurred on the phone itself also letting you know it is now charging wireless.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

You can still use the micro, as I found out, just plugs into half of the USB. However, as you'll read on some other posts, the USB 3 is wicked fast. I can have it down to 15~20% (after 2 days which I LOVE) and within an hour its good to go at 100% for another 2 days.

I believe you can use a micro usb. I haven't tried it but I think it's possible. But the 3.0 charges way faster in my opinion.

Well .its got a 2.3v wall adapter...compared to the 2.0v standard across micro USB wall adapters...so technically it does charge faster when plugged into the wall....

Posted via Android Central App

I agree.....I hate the charger.

Ok folks... I stand corrected.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=2U-RZxo9

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

I use both chargers. The cable that came with the phone and I have a micro USB from a S4. You just need to put the micro USB in the right side of the input. But my question is. What is the other left side input for? HDMI?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
    jpr

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    I use both chargers. The cable that came with the phone and I have a micro USB from a S4. You just need to put the micro USB in the right side of the input. But my question is. What is the other left side input for? HDMI?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
    It's for usb 3.0.

The charger your S5 came with is a much faster charger than the one used for the S2, S3, or S4. My husband has the S4 Active and mine charges faster than his, even if I am using mine on the charger!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Charging a Note3 from 0% to 100% takes about 7 hours on a USB 2 computer port.

Charging a Note3 from 0% to 100% takes about 5 hours on a USB 3 computer port.

Charging a Note3 from 0% to 100% takes about 2 hours using the included 2a USB wall charger.

The charger doesn't both me at all, not sure why it would. I can understand people complaining about the cover for the port, which also doesn't bother me but I can surely understand how it would bother some. But the charging port itself? Yes, you can still use Micro, but what's wrong with the dual port connector they use? I could see if they were two separate cables, then yeah that would be a major PITA, but I have no issues with it as is. And coming from the S3 the charging speed is so much faster.

Rev.

1) The downside to wireless charging is that it charges slower

2) and you can't use your phone while it's charging.
    Yes to #1.

I wanted to further clarify that item #2 is not true.

IF you will pick up the phone and the Wireless Charging pad simultaneously and keep them in the same configuration (relative to each other), you can do anything with the phone that you can do w/o the Wireless Charger in action.

Almost anything, the back camera is blocked.

To talk on it, you either must enable Speaker Phone or use a Bluetooth headset.

Been there, done this to prove it.

The downside to wireless charging is that it charges slower and you can't use your phone while it's charging.
    While it may charge slowly when wireless charging. However, I disagree with the other part. You can use your phone while it's charging wirelessly, but probably in an uncomfortable way (depending on what kind of Qi wireless charging pad you have), and yet it still charges. I sometimes browse on my phone when charging wirelessly and it still charges the phone.

I actually don't mind if it charges slowly since I mostly charge my phone at night when I'm sleeping anyways and when I wake up in the morning it's always 100%.