Is there a smaller widget for "OK, Google?"

g5laurie

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for all the great hints, tips and info that I found reading through this forum. I have just two little nits that I'd like to solve on my new Galaxy S5 that I couldn't find in here, but I'll put them in two different topics so others who may be seeking the same answers can more easily find them.

Question #1: "OK, Google" is pretty cool, but I don't want to give up a full icon line to have it. Is there a smaller version of the widget that will only take up one icon space? I couldn't find such a beast.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about the Google Search bar? That usually can't be removed unless you install a 3rd party launcher app like Nova.

g5laurie

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about the Google Search bar? That usually can't be removed unless you install a 3rd party launcher app like Nova.

Well, that sucker's gone. Don't remember how I did it because I made about a zillion changes to my phone the first three days I had it, but it's no longer there taking up a full row on my screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps the S5 allows you to get rid of it from the homescreen. I know you can't using stock Android (on my Nexus 5). If you go to your Widgets screen, you can look for a Google Search Bar widget--if it's there, then you know how to get it back if you ever want it again.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

That's not true on the S5.

I took it off my Homescreen and it's not on any of my homescreens now. And I'm on KitKat with Stock Touchwiz.

U4icLab

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
You can delete it and plug it right back onto any screen by holding down the left, lighted soft key/multitasking button and clicking on widgets, google now...

Posted via Android Central App

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
If you have nova launcher, press on the Google widget until resize appears click on that then drag it to whatever size you want

Posted from my VZW GALAXY S3

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The latest version of Nova lets you say "Ok Google" right from your home screen without pushing anything (as long as your screen isn't locked). Works great on my S5. 👍

Posted via Android Central App

EluSivE_J0N

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Screenshot_2015-10-23-10-25-41.png
Check this out. New marshmallow platform allows resizing from 3x1 down to 1x1 as u can see. Took me a min to fig how I did it, just pickup and drop the bar in your home screen then I should be able to resize.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11