Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!

So I purchased the samsung galaxy s5 about two weeks ago. Everything is working fine. I have a screen protector, otterbox case, and I take really good care of my phone. So I haven't dropped, haven't scratched the camera lens, no water, nothing.
    The main camera (rear) was working absolutely fine until 2 days ago. I took a picture and noticed there were blue dots and lines. I turned on the camera again and noticed it was still there. It's more obvious when it renders certain colors like white and black.
    I talked to samsung support. They made me do the factory reset and clear the camera app, nothing happened, the blue is still present. I also noticed that other people on some forums had the same issue, some worse than others. Not sure if they decided to send in the phone and get it fixed under the warranty. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or not.
    Samsung said they'll send me a phone if it was determined that it is a defect and can't be fixed. (when I asked if it will be a new phone or a refurbished one they were hesitant to say which).
    Anyone had any similar issue with the galaxy cameras?
    The front facing camera is fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!-20140607_235031.jpg   Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!-screen-shot-2014-06-09-2.09.55-pm.png  
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Unhappy Re: Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!

Here are another two pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!-20140609_140349.jpg   Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!-20140609_140437.jpg  

Default Re: Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!

I am experiencing the same problems! So when you called samsung they said they will give you another s5 for free? And I have seen others with this problem also, so I don't think it is a user problem. It's samsung's problem.

i just played with my camera to see if i have this issue, i dont. BUt i noticed that there is something that is causing any kind of bright light to basically "halo" inside the lense or lense cover. I keep getting the halogen lights basically extending past where they actually end and ending up in the subject. Very unusuall. Only has happened indoors. i'll have to check outside tomorrow.

Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!-20140613_010542.jpg
    Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!-20140613_010550.jpg
    Galaxy S5 Camera Issues, pic attached!-20140613_010604.jpg
    First pic i didn't do anything, second i rubbed my finger over the lens, third i did the same thing, rubbed my finger. I think there is something loose inside. The lens is clear, no finger prints or smudges even after rubbing my finger across it. But you can see each pic is different.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

I know it may sound silly but my S5 shipped with a very thin piece of plastic over the camera lens, I used a piece of tape to pull it off, but it was really hard to see. If you've been rubbing and really looking close at the lens, I'm sure you already removed it after noticing it. But thought I would toss that possibility out there to you.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tutor View Post
    I know it may sound silly but my S5 shipped with a very thin piece of plastic over the camera lens, I used a piece of tape to pull it off, but it was really hard to see. If you've been rubbing and really looking close at the lens, I'm sure you already removed it after noticing it. But thought I would toss that possibility out there to you.
    Not just yours, all of them has the same plastic that need to be remove if not with time, it begins showing strange things on your pictures.

I would definitely demand a new phone. I don't see how the user could have caused that. :|

Easiest way to remove it is get a piece of scotch tape and press it over the entire camera lens cover and then lift up. Only reason I say this is a friend used a needle to try and lift it up and made a divot and scratch on the lens cover.

the plastic "lens cover" was removed within a few days. So its not that causing the blur.

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

Blue dots! Never seen anything like that with any of my phones. Good luck!

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

I would not say it's the lens is the issue, but rather the sensor itself. My HTC One M7 sort had this issue during low light photos. Blacks would be blue. I really never followed up to find out the cause since I got rid of that phone, but I vaguely reading somewhere that the sensor was over heating and causing the bluish tint.

Now I am not saying you are having an over heating issue, but it does look like something wrong with the sensor. This should be considered a hardware failure and be replaced by your carrier if you have their insurance coverage.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Mine has a round dark spot in the center of the viewfinder in all pics using rear cam and in video. It's lighter gray around outer edge of the spot, darker gray toward the center. No plastic over lens. Cleaned lens, rebooted ph, checked all cam settings but it's always there.

Similar problem but with a nexus 5. I had the phone repaired, not replaced, under warranty. It's been OK ever since.