G3 is battery champ, beating even the S5

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It also has a larger display, but a bigger battery. Either way, they're both very impressive. I know I wouldn't kill the battery on either phone in one day.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Here is my s5 battery results in the current cycle:

Screenshot_2014-06-09-18-51-01.jpg

Screenshot_2014-06-09-18-51-23.jpg

I don't use the s5 that much since most of the time I am home and using my landline phones.

However, the battery lasting NINE DAYS and still over 30% left is pretty good. I use Ultra Power Savings Mode when not in use by using TWO fingers to down sweep from the top.

If one divides the Screen Time of 68 minutes by the Screen Percentage of 6%, one gets the Active Time of 18 hours and 52 minutes so far. However, I won't recharge until the battery is down to 15% so the Active Time will be higher.

Does the LG G3 even have Ultra Power Savings Mode available?

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 122450

View attachment 122449

I don't use the s5 that much since most of the time I am home and using my landline phones.

However, the battery lasting NINE DAYS and still over 30% left is pretty good. I use Ultra Power Savings Mode when not in use by using TWO fingers to down sweep from the top.

If one divides the Screen Time of 68 minutes by the Screen Percentage of 6%, one gets the Active Time of 18 hours and 52 minutes so far. However, I won't recharge until the battery is down to 15% so the Active Time will be higher.

Are you saying it would get 19 hours of screen time? Highly unlikely. I'd say 9-10 max if you have it on low brightness, and even that seems like a stretch.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

PhoneArena redacted its G Flex battery numbers because they were out of line sadly, that's about the only phone that could beat the G3 at that level. Also it sounds like nobody is getting 8hr average screen time on their S5....? Certainly nothing crazy like 10hrs of browsing on a single charge.

Are you saying it would get 19 hours of screen time? Highly unlikely. I'd say 9-10 max if you have it on low brightness, and even that seems like a stretch.

Plausible in a sense but what can the phone do in UPS mode? After all if the G Flex was reviewed to last 14, 16, up to 20 hours playing video files....I think I can make mine do 20 if used exclusively as an ebook reader.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

No, total Active Time. My maximum Screen Time has been 4 hours and 23 minutes. Total Active Time is calculated by dividing Screen Time by Screen Percentage of Use. My maximum Total Active Time has been up to 22 hours and 40 minutes.

The Battery uses Total Active Time on a variety of uses, not just Screen Time.

However, I posted this screen shot to show that, using UPSM, my battery lasted over NINE DAYS before a recharge was necessary. Phone calls and Messaging are fully active in UPSM. In effect it becomes a Dumb Phone in that Mode.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 122450

View attachment 122449

Does the LG G3 even have Ultra Power Savings Mode available?

You can't honestly compare you keeping your phone in ultra power saving mode 24/7 to normal use of another phone. It isn't typical use as most people get smart phones to use them as such.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

rustum

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
By 30 minutes *Golf clap*
Unnecessary heading for small differences by phonearena. There are lot of posts on that website where people are referring to gsmarena test results. Not sure between phonearena and gsmarena who is good. Phonearena makes G3 looks better in battery tests. Gsmarena makes S5 looks good in battery tests. At 50% brightness G3 is very dim compared to S5.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I figure the max you can really get in the real world would 10 hours of screen time. That would be 10%/hour of on screen time. Unless you can prove me wrong. :p

rustum

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I figure the max you can really get in the real world would 10 hours of screen time. That would be 10%/hour of on screen time. Unless you can prove me wrong. :p

That matches with web browsing test results.

gsmarena_002.jpg

battest.jpg

They are pretty competitive except gsmarena tested g3 with production unit.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't like the way they do their benchmarks. No way people would ever get 9:36 in a real world test.

If I just web browse and lightly watch youtube, I can get 10% of battery life per hour. So near 10 hour is plausible.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
You can't honestly compare you keeping your phone in ultra power saving mode 24/7 to normal use of another phone. It isn't typical use as most people get smart phones to use them as such.

What is "normal" use of a smart phone? My grandkids only play games and text on their smart phones. My son is on the road all the time and carries three smart phones, two of which are always powered down. He only makes phone calls with it.

Some folks only own a smart phone and surf the net with it. I mainly use my desktop most of the day and only use my smart phone as a database for my car phone and to read eBooks while waiting in offices. Everyone has their own custom use of smart phones the same way they have their own custom use of TV's, PC's and Home Networks.

If someone doesn't care about leaving the phone open for calls and messages, one can even use Blocking Mode as one uses two fingers to down sweep from the top. If one is just using it to play games, that would also extend battery life immensely.

I've seen folks complain about rapid draining of their batteries on this Forum. UPSM and Blocking Mode should be considered as options for those folks. I doubt if most folks use all the dozens of apps and features every minute of every day.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What is "normal" use of a smart phone? My grandkids only play games and text on their smart phones. My son is on the road all the time and carries three smart phones, two of which are always powered down. He only makes phone calls with it.

Some folks only own a smart phone and surf the net with it. I mainly use my desktop most of the day and only use my smart phone as a database for my car phone and to read eBooks while waiting in offices. Everyone has their own custom use of smart phones the same way they have their own custom use of TV's, PC's and Home Networks.

If someone doesn't care about leaving the phone open for calls and messages, one can even use Blocking Mode as one uses two fingers to down sweep from the top. If one is just using it to play games, that would also extend battery life immensely.

I've seen folks complain about rapid draining of their batteries on this Forum. UPSM and Blocking Mode should be considered as options for those folks. I doubt if most folks use all the dozens of apps and features every minute of every day.

Normal for smartphones? Simple... Majority of people use it for social media, Web, music, etc. That I can say safely is the normal use of most smartphones.

But again you can't compare your power saver life to a normal usage comparison... That's like comparing someone with a stock battery and someone with a zero lemon case on.. It isn't the same thing.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
That matches with web browsing test results.

View attachment 122564

View attachment 122565

They are pretty competitive except gsmarena tested g3 with production unit.

LOL

http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-g-flex-battery-life-test/

gsmarena_002.jpg

I don't like the way they do their benchmarks. No way people would ever get 9:36 in a real world test.

UJ.......remember?

Screenshot_2014-05-10-23-15-42.png

And that's with Opera browser, which averages 40% of all power used! A real battery sucking browser...to use the same calculation as SIRMARU above, I get over 36.4 hours theoretical screen active time. (590min 27% usage)

I am very much interested in the next generation P-OLED if it retains this ludicrous efficiency. My only complaint is the minimum brightness is actually too bright at night, and I usually only need 50%-75% in broad daylight. Hoping Samsung's flexible screen also runs on fairy tears and sunlight too so we can all be happy.

Last edited:

rustum

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
LOL

LG G Flex battery life test - GSMArena Blog

View attachment 122608

UJ.......remember?

View attachment 122609

And that's with Opera browser, which averages 40% of all power used! A real battery sucking browser...to use the same calculation as SIRMARU above, I get over 36.4 hours theoretical screen active time. (590min 27% usage)

I am very much interested in the next generation P-OLED if it retains this ludicrous efficiency. My only complaint is the minimum brightness is actually too bright at night, and I usually only need 50%-75% in broad daylight. Hoping Samsung's flexible screen also runs on fairy tears and sunlight too so we can all be happy.

Is this screen from galaxy s5? LG G flex has abnormal video playback time compared to other numbers. S5 is very bright at default (50%) brightness. G3 is not that great at default brightness based on gsmarena charts.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Is this screen from galaxy s5? LG G flex has abnormal video playback time compared to other numbers. S5 is very bright at default (50%) brightness. G3 is not that great at default brightness based on gsmarena charts.

That's the G3.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What is Normal Use?

It is how you use the phone on any given day.

I have gone for a week at a time with very few hours of screen time, battery life was 5 days that time.

Then yesterday, it rained all day long and I sat in the work truck with nothing to do.
Out came the S5 and it was all 6 or 7 hours of screen time reading news, watching videos, and the latest fumbles of our executive branch (oops, can't talk more on that), but the point is, heavy use will shorten battery life.

I started out with 85% at 5 AM and by 3 PM was down to about 23% or so.

even so, that is good battery life IMO.

Normal is how "you define it", there is no other such thing as "normal".

My wife never makes a call, only answers IF she feels like it.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
That's the G3.

Okay, sorry for the confusion. Allow me to clear up any misunderstandings:

The first attachment is of course GSMarena summary for the G Flex. I only looked on their site after seeing the numbers posted for S5 and G3, and it was so ludicrous I began laughing and had to share. That said, most sites reported anywhere from 12-20 hours of video life for the G Flex depending quality and average luminance of their preferred test clips. Cnet reported almost eighteen hours, for example. I like to keep an eye on NoteBookCheck for the high end phone reviews, they tend to do battery tests at a normalized absolute screen brightness (as close to 250 nits as they can?)

The second screenshot is from my personal G Flex phone and is part of a set from the day I marathon-browsed to see how hard I could push it. That was ten hours, most of it in Opera browser which accumulated over five hours of CPU time....a while ago I posted a link to the set in a Dropbox folder.

Screenshot_2014-05-10-23-14-26.png
Screenshot_2014-05-10-23-14-59.png
Screenshot_2014-05-10-23-15-20.png
Screenshot_2014-05-10-23-15-31.png
Screenshot_2014-05-10-23-15-42.png

For proofiness. I would love to see the G3 beat it of course.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1