Why I keeping buying Samsung...love my S5.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I get too excited with upgrading and forget the great features Samsung/TouchWiz offers. I guess it's why I keep buying the S & Note series.

As much as love hTc's One M8 (exchanged for the S5) and Sony's XPERIA Z2 (which I just sold), I'm realizing BUILD QUALITY can only take you so far and then what? Let's face it Apple's iPhone works because of the size. I guess that's the other problem with these two.

I'm not going to lie I wanted Samsung to change their plastic mentality but now I guess ERGONOMIC is more important, it's very comfortable to handle/use naked especially now that they made changes to the back cover even if it's ugly, I do love the Note 3's faux leather back and wished they went with that but I understand their trying to separate the two. Their design works, plain and simple.

Why I love the S5...

Home Button is so much more convenient than Tapping the Screen.
MultiWindow is simply amazing and very useful. Every time I use the Z2 it's annoying that it's not available.
Slide to Call/Text in Contact/Call Log.
IR Blaster, paired with the Smart Remote app and Wireless Charging are the new must have features on a Super Phone. Guess what, the LG G3 (replacing the Z2) has it, too bad it's not Water Proof.

Except for the Flap Cover, I think Samsung did a great job with the S5.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I pretty much agree with yo all the way here.

However, what "ugly"? I can't even see the case on my phone, it is in a Speck CandyShell Grip case which has military specs for toughness.... How would it benefit me to have a beautiful Gold Plated metal case and then hide it in a plastic/rubber case?

nah, I will stick with Samsung's motto, make the firmware and OS better, forget the metal cases.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm quite happy with my S5 and Note 3. They're both nice in different ways yet they seem to compliment each other well.

Hi5 to the sV

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I get too excited with upgrading and forget the great features Samsung/TouchWiz offers. I guess it's why I keep buying the S & Note series.

As much as love hTc's One M8 (exchanged for the S5) and Sony's XPERIA Z2 (which I just sold), I'm realizing BUILD QUALITY can only take you so far and then what? Let's face it Apple's iPhone works because of the size. I guess that's the other problem with these two.

I'm not going to lie I wanted Samsung to change their plastic mentality but now I guess ERGONOMIC is more important, it's very comfortable to handle/use naked especially now that they made changes to the back cover even if it's ugly, I do love the Note 3's faux leather back and wished they went with that but I understand their trying to separate the two. Their design works, plain and simple.

Why I love the S5...

Home Button is so much more convenient than Tapping the Screen.
MultiWindow is simply amazing and very useful. Every time I use the Z2 it's annoying that it's not available.
Slide to Call/Text in Contact/Call Log.
IR Blaster, paired with the Smart Remote app and Wireless Charging are the new must have features on a Super Phone. Guess what, the LG G3 (replacing the Z2) has it, too bad it's not Water Proof.

Except for the Flap Cover, I think Samsung did a great job with the S5.

I agree with you as well except I'm not a fan of TouchWiz. I think Samsung should have done the camera differently. Having the lens protrude out the way it does makes it much easier to crack or scratch it if you don't use a case.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
People always ask me what my phone is... Recently I took my phone to the pool and took underwater pics and everyone looked at me like I was a celebrity... I also used Selective Focus on my friend for pics and he was amazed at the DSLR like qualities... Couldnt be happier with my phone

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
People always ask me what my phone is... Recently I took my phone to the pool and took underwater pics and everyone looked at me like I was a celebrity... I also used Selective Focus on my friend for pics and he was amazed at the DSLR like qualities... Couldnt be happier with my phone

Well it is a GREAT phone, you should not be surprised.

Hi5 to the sV

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I am very pleased and contented with my S5. Had bought into the "Pure stock experience" hype for two years in a row with the N4 and N5, but they weren't for me. I greatly missed my TW features. Wont be trying that out again.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I am very pleased and contented with my S5. Had bought into the "Pure stock experience" hype for two years in a row with the N4 and N5. But they weren't for me. I greatly missed my TW features. Wont be trying that out again.

Never say "never". You may want to try the pure experience in addition to, but not instead of, the TW life.

NoTe 3 2 1nFiNiT1

soli2005

May 13, 2012
Visit site
It's all the little details that keep me coming back. I do love having a home button and I was so excited it finally came to North American versions of the S Series starting with the S3. I find capacitive buttons ugly and cluttered and onscreen buttons take up valuable screen space. I also like having the option to disable the lights on the capacitive buttons. Direct call feature is something I also love. Whenever I'm driving, I get texts and can only call back by holding the phone up to my ear. Another feature I love is page buddy but I'm not sure the S5 has it or if it's hidden. I updated my S3 to Jelly bean last year and got this feature. I must be the minority when it comes to touchwiz. Stock android is too vanilla for me and they have greatly improved the swiftness and smoothness with the S5.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Another feature I forgot about since I bought MX Player Pro...

is Samsung's Pop Up In their Video app.

If I wasn't a Mac user and invested in iTunes I would honestly sell my 64GB iPad Air LTE and pick up the Samsung's Pro Tablet for this feature alone.

Pro S5

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

Haha! Would have loved to see the people's reactions!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Another feature I forgot about since I bought MX Player Pro...

is Samsung's Pop Up In their Video app.

If I wasn't a Mac user and invested in iTunes I would honestly sell my 64GB iPad Air LTE and pick up the Samsung's Pro Tablet for this feature alone.

Pro S5

I just sold my iPad Aire LTE and my rMini LTE when I joined the Good Side of the Force with Samsung. Do not miss them or the two 5s' that went with them.

Hi5 from the sV

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I just sold my iPad Aire LTE and my rMini LTE when I joined the Good Side of the Force with Samsung. Do not miss them or the two 5s' that went with them.

Hi5 from the sV

You ditched both of your 5s'? On iMore you swore you'd never part with them, but I'm glad you're happy with your Samsung stuff. I too picked up the S5 (and a 128GB Micro SD card) and am about to sell my 5s. After losing over $500 on a Samsung tablet (I purchased the original Galaxy Tab for $749 and sold it for $250) over the course of a couple months, though, I'll never buy another tablet that isn't an iPad. iPads just hold their value too well and I really love my Mini.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
You ditched both of your 5s'? On iMore you swore you'd never part with them, but I'm glad you're happy with your Samsung stuff. I too picked up the S5 (and a 128GB Micro SD card) and am about to sell my 5s. After losing over $500 on a Samsung tablet (I purchased the original Galaxy Tab for $749 and sold it for $250) over the course of a couple months, though, I'll never buy another tablet that isn't an iPad. iPads just hold their value too well and I really love my Mini.

Same here. I will never part with my iPad for any other tablet. Did that once and it didn't last very long.
Even though I love my S5, I would bail in a heart beat (no S5 pun intended) if the rumors of a 5.5" iPhone are true. Don't get me wrong the S5 is and excellent phone... I just like the apple Apps way better than Android.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I am very pleased and contented with my S5. Had bought into the "Pure stock experience" hype for two years in a row with the N4 and N5, but they weren't for me. I greatly missed my TW features. Wont be trying that out again.

I had a Nexus 4 before I upgraded to the S5. I really liked the pure Android experience, but I didn't want to get the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 looks too bland...dull. So I went with the S5 and am very happy. I love the display on the S5.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

The 5s is a good phone but I just enjoy my S5 and Note 3 more. I just like all you can do with these phones.

NoTe 3 2 1nFiNiT1

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
To those that say they would never have an Android tablet all I can say is you never used the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 edition. WOWZA! it's an awesome tablet with an extraordinarily beautiful display. And I don't think the S5 is ugly at all. I love the shimmery opalescent look of the back cover. I researched long and hard before purchasing my galaxy note 2014 and my galaxy s5. I'm as happy as a pig in slop with both of them 😆

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I currently using S5 and I love it even more being that my S5 is now rooted. I am also using an iPad mini as my tablet but may consider ditching it and get the galaxy tab 10.1. But my dilemma is that I have purchased a lot of apps from Apple and I do not want to lose thems. So this is one reason why I can't let it go.
Can't have both either :(

Posted via Android Central App

rustum

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
For me, it is best phone on the market right now. Superior phone in terms functionality, specs and design (All rounder phone). Even though most of reviews/geeks praised M8 looks for being metal, I think white S5 is better looking phone.

Last edited:

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
For me, it is best phone on the market right now. Superior phone in terms functionality, specs and design (All rounder phone). Even though most of reviews/geeks praised M8 looks for being metal, I think white S5 is better looking phone.

I whole heartedly agree with you. The length of the M8 is also too long. I don't care so much for the metallic build....I use a case for my S5. I do like the dual speakers though...it looks sharp. The camera on the M8 is nowhere near the quality of the S5's. That 1080P Super AMOLED display is just gorgeous...by far the best out there right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995