Why does my android system...

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

I was wondering why my android system and os run at a high rate all the time. I feel like this is contributing to unnecessary battery drain. I'll leave my phone sitting on standby all night and sometimes it burns through 50% of the battery. Thus drives me nuts, other times it will only use 4%. Could anyone tell me what may be causing this? Photo attached.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1402375624485.jpg
    1402375624485.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 73

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Context is everything in this kind of situation. If you're not doing anything else, then Android System and/or OS will often use a proportionally higher percentage of battery, because nothing else is in use. 15-25% is pretty normal for Android System or OS.

If you notice that your battery has drained unusually overnight, then take screenshots of the main battery stats, the full battery graph (that includes the bars at the bottom showing mobile signal, wi-fi use, etc.), the Screen category showing your total Screen On time, and the Cell Standby category showing Time Without Signal.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Context is everything in this kind of situation. If you're not doing anything else, then Android System and/or OS will often use a proportionally higher percentage of battery, because nothing else is in use. 15-25% is pretty normal for Android System or OS.

If you notice that your battery has drained unusually overnight, then take screenshots of the main battery stats, the full battery graph (that includes the bars at the bottom showing mobile signal, wi-fi use, etc.), the Screen category showing your total Screen On time, and the Cell Standby category showing Time Without Signal.

Thanks I'll get this info together tonight and post it here. Thanks for your help!

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
My bet is you are in a weak signal area and your phone is 'searching' for signal overnight...a notorious battery killer.
Solution: install Green Power or Juice Defender (both of which shut off data when the screen is off) or manually turn off data when you go to sleep.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My bet is you are in a weak signal area and your phone is 'searching' for signal overnight...a notorious battery killer.
Solution: install Green Power or Juice Defender (both of which shut off data when the screen is off) or manually turn off data when you go to sleep.

Well from the screenshot he provided he wasn't on battery very long so the OS being on top is actually expected..

Battery stats are very pointless to look at if only on the battery for a short while. It won't look correct St all..

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

Your bet is correct! I do have weak signal where I am. However I have just installed a booster at my house and it has helped greatly. What do you think?

ALaz502

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. Same thing happens to me. Android System is used for so many features on your phone that it should be one of the top users of battery.

In the past with older phones the display was always way higher than Android System but the screen is much more efficient now.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the signal booster only help signal when you're on a call? For my Cel-Fi signal booster from T-Mobile, the signal only boosts when I'm on a call. So if that's the case for you as well, that means in between calls, you might still be draining battery as the phone tries to look for signal.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Context is everything is totally accurate. The OS is what makes the phone work, just like the OS in a laptop or desktop is what makes it work. The OS will always be busy, it is the "Big Shoulders" that carries the brunt of the work moving apps around so you can have fun.

I used my phone quite a bit today out in the deep woods again. Can't read the forums, not enough spare moments, but I keep it up quite a bit and read the news.

Here is a screenshot for a typical day "at work", I work 10 hour days, 4 days a week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-11-18-07-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-11-18-07-19.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 18

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Does the signal booster only help signal when you're on a call? For my Cel-Fi signal booster from T-Mobile, the signal only boosts when I'm on a call. So if that's the case for you as well, that means in between calls, you might still be draining battery as the phone tries to look for signal.

My phone shows that there is signal from the booster. But I feel like there is something going on in the background. That could be it having signal strength jumps. You think? Check the screen shots. You will notice where my signal gets ****tier. But I have also been down stairs with the booster for about 5 hours now. I don't know what to think lol

Attachments

• 1402540604928.jpg
    1402540604928.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1402540617938.jpg
    1402540617938.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 14
  • 1402540627276.jpg
    1402540627276.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1402540638976.jpg
    1402540638976.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 12

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The 1% "time without signal" makes poor signal less likely as a culprit, although the signal might be weak enough to still cause the radios to be working harder (but not technically be "without signal"). An interesting experiment would be to turn your phone to Airplane Mode for a whole day while you're at home (if practical), and just use wi-fi.

Also, one of those screenshots was at 96% battery--it would be useful to see that one when it's down to 8% or so, and also to see the Screen category separately, so we can see the total screen-on time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My phone shows that there is signal from the booster. But I feel like there is something going on in the background. That could be it having signal strength jumps. You think? Check the screen shots. You will notice where my signal gets ****tier. But I have also been down stairs with the booster for about 5 hours now. I don't know what to think lol

This looks normal. The phone was awake a bunch and the screen was on a lot... It's normal for the screen to override in usage.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
This looks normal. The phone was awake a bunch and the screen was on a lot... It's normal for the screen to override in usage.

Alright this sounds great. Probably the best I'm going to find. Far better battery life than my Nexus 5. Again thanks for everyone's help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta