Flying with the S5 - Data connection issue on landing

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
This is a question for those of you who fly with your S5's....

I'm on AT&T, and the last two weeks in Portland ME and San Francisco, it took after the plane landed and almost to the gate before the S5 connected to data from the network. Now, I'm saying this is slow and unusual, because with previous devices (Iphone 4 / S3), I got data before we even touched down.

Is anyone getting the same ?

Any ideas as to why there would be a difference with teh S5?

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
This is a question for those of you who fly with your S5's....

I'm on AT&T, and the last two weeks in Portland ME and San Francisco, it took after the plane landed and almost to the gate before the S5 connected to data from the network. Now, I'm saying this is slow and unusual, because with previous devices (Iphone 4 / S3), I got data before we even touched down.

Is anyone getting the same ?

Any ideas as to why there would be a difference with teh S5?

Firstly you should not have your phone on whilst approaching/landing :)

I can't say the S5 is any slower than S4 or S3 for searching for new network providers I was trying see if there was a problem on my old S4 and was scanning for providers and it seemed to take a long time and the S5 when manually looking for network providers seemed a little faster

Try turning off mobile data whilst searching

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Instead of using Airplane Mode,

just turn OFF data and wifi... accomplishes the same thing and I don't have any problems like that.

I use the switcher Widget in Battery Doctor, tons of other switchers to do the same.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I and all 150+/- of my fellow passengers will cut off the data now... :)😆
This is just really weird, cause I never did anything to any of my other devices, and they sync'ed with the network waaaay before landing...

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Did you happen to notice the signal strength before data connected? Maybe you didn't have any/enough signal for calls either? Tower down?

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I and all 150+/- of my fellow passengers will cut off the data now... :)??????...

The responsible ones will :)

I'd go with JudH explanation or weak signal or seat postion

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I and all 150+/- of my fellow passengers will cut off the data now... :)😆...

The responsible ones will :)

I'd go with JudH explanation or weak signal or seat postion

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I made a call to AT&T, and they said they would check my line, and they came back and said nothing was wrong. However, upon return to Atlanta this week, I got data at about 5000 ft or so, just as I used to with other devices, so I'm sure AT&T didn't do anything. (Sarcasm off)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze