Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Considering the Galaxy S5

Hello, How are you guys? I have my upgrade coming up in about four or five days and i'm considering trading in my iPhone 5s for the Galaxy S5. Don't get me wrong, I love iOS and iPhones (please don't kill me), but I also love Android and I wanna try the newest of each! Last year I had the Galaxy S4, and I loved it until it started having terrible battery problems. It would be on 80% them randomly shut itself down and when I turned it back on it would be at 12%. I would like to know before I upgrade, does the S5 have battery issues? Did I just get a fluke S4? What's the deal? Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    VictoriaPa1 likes this.

Default Re: Considering the Galaxy S5

I just moved to android from the iphone (used iphone's for the last 5 years) and I'm soooo glad I made the change. I have had one issue with my phone and it had to do with the 4k (UHD) video mode, a simple factory reset fixed the issue and everything else has been smooth sailing since. Keep in mind that when you read forums most people go there because they have a problem or want to learn, those who are happy and have no issues usually don't bother going on to forums. Also not sure if all carriers have it but the S5 Active just came out so there is two versions of the S5 out there. I personally like the original S5 better because there are no buttons on the bottom portion of the phone, to me it's just a cleaner look.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,632 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Sounds like you just had a bad battery in your S4. I have had mine for just around a year and have never had that issue.
    I haven't heard about battery issues with the S5, and it seems to get excellent battery life. If you don't mind switching OSs, I'd say go for it. I would get the latest and greatest at all times if I could too
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
    F0REVERY0UNG- likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you both for responding.

I also came from an iPhone to an S4 and upgraded to an S5. My S4 battery life is pretty bad, it only lasts less than a day. While my S5 lasts me like 2-3 days.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T
    Thanked by:

The s5 is a great phone. It's blazing fast and the camera is epic. I get on a full day charge 5-7 hours.screen time

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Great phone I have mine on Verizon and while it has been more or less trouble free for the last 2 months... For me nova launcher prime is a must...

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s5
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt503 View Post
    Great phone... I have mine on Verizon and while it has been more or less trouble free for the last 2 months... For me nova launcher prime is a must...

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts

Pretty awesome device. It took me a while to give in to the Samsung thing but now I love it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt503 View Post
    Great phone I have mine on Verizon and while it has been more or less trouble free for the last 2 months... For me nova launcher prime is a must...

Do you know if the prime version is more faster and smoother than the free version?

Global Posts
    6,632 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by sdsubball23 View Post
    Do you know if the prime version is more faster and smoother than the free version?
    No. It just has more features.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Android4life

I wish Nova would implement the "OK Google" voice activation feature, I would already have it downloaded.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    I wish Nova would implement the "OK Google" voice activation feature, I would already have it downloaded.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    Nova does have Ok Google, is quick and easy. I love my S5 and so does my wife, no more carrying chargers everywhere unlike my iPhone friends

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Global Posts
    6,632 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    Latest update actually added that

Thanked by:
    fofjjsr likes this.
    Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post

Well, then, I may just be downloading it then!
    Android4life

Also do they have a Prime version. The free version shows June 6 as the update date, the Prime version shows August of 2013.

Global Posts
    6,632 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Also do they have a Prime version. The free version shows June 6 as the update date, the Prime version shows August of 2013.
    I already have that feature. You just need yo go into Nova settings and turn on hotword detection.

Android4life

I already have that feature. You just need yo go into Nova settings and turn on hotword detection.

Does it work from the home screen though? I could get it to work unless I was already in the search.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Global Posts
    6,632 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Does it work from the home screen though? I could get it to work unless I was already in the search.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    Yeah. Just turn on hot word detection and you'll be able to use it. No need for the Google Search bar.
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Well, thank you all for responding, i'll be getting the S5 on Sunday!
    fofjjsr likes this.

I too came from the iPhone 5S and I couldn't be happier with my Galaxy S5. You can just do so much more with it. It isn't as simplistic or as easy to use as the iPhone, but it's 100% worth it to put in a little extra effort to get used to it. Plus, battery life is a huge improvement over my iPhone. I had to charge the iPhone during the day from time to time and I never have to do that with my Galaxy. And another great feature on that front is that the S5 charges insanely fast because of the USB 3.0 port. It's just an all-around amazing phone that took me by total surprise. I intended to buy it just to play with until the iPhone 6 came to fruition but now I'm almost positively not going to buy the iPhone because I would miss all the things that I can do with my Galaxy. So unless Apple pulls a few bunnies out of its hat, I'll be staying put. Good luck with your new phone!
    Thanked by:
    Android4life

Yeah. Just turn on hot word detection and you'll be able to use it. No need for the Google Search bar.
    Huh couldn't get it to work. Will test again.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

As long that's going to make you happy. Good luck and please us more about your S5.
    Thanked by:

At this point in the game wait for the next big thing. I've played around with the S5 and the iPhone S5 and they are both awesome phones, but I still prefer my Note 3 hehe. With technology changing so quickly the S5 was not a huge 'upgrade' in terms of performance or innovation. If you have a bit of patience, wait and see what comes out in the next 4 months or so. The phone game is very much alive and we are going to see some of the best phones yet in the next year or so.

My Galaxy Note 3 did this.

Quote Originally Posted by JakePleasants View Post
    I too came from the iPhone 5S and I couldn't be happier with my Galaxy S5. You can just do so much more with it. It isn't as simplistic or as easy to use as the iPhone, but it's 100% worth it to put in a little extra effort to get used to it. Plus, battery life is a huge improvement over my iPhone. I had to charge the iPhone during the day from time to time and I never have to do that with my Galaxy. And another great feature on that front is that the S5 charges insanely fast because of the USB 3.0 port. !

Whoa!

It is not the USB 3.0 port that is responsible for fast charging.

It is the 2.1 amp charger and a high quality cable that can handle the higher charging current.

The charging wires are within the 2.0 plug just like always,
    the 3.0 plug only contains the Faster USB 3.0 connections.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

If I helped you, Please click
    Thanks button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast