Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default GPS "Finding Location" Stays On

    Hi Everyone,

    I've had my Galaxy S5 since it came out and haven't had any issues with it yet. All of a sudden this evening I noticed that when I got to the lockscreen that the GPS icon appeared in my notification bar. When I dragged down the bar it said "finding location" which was unclearable from the notification list. After unlocking the screen, sometimes the GPS icon will go away, and other times it just stays there.

    Does anyone know why it'd randomly start doing this now and never happened before? Any way I can get it to avoid doing that without turning my GPS off? I'm just concerned about it draining my battery life, but don't want to lose the benefits of GPS staying on.

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,395 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GPS "Finding Location" Stays On

    I don't know if this is the same on the S5, but go to Settings>Location. You should see Mode. Click on it and select battery saving. That should still get you some access to location dependant apps but still not be like slaughtering your battery life.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    alil25 
  3. #3  

    Default Re: GPS "Finding Location" Stays On

    I have had that occur once in a while, especially with an app called "I am here".

    I use another app to get the GPS sync'd up with the satellites quickly, especially when there is a heavy cloud overcast. It is called GPS Status
    => https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sim.gpsstatus2

    What is neat about this app is that it contacts a database to get the current ephemeris which updates the phone's GPS "right now". Boom! The satellites lock in and the accuracy is unreal. For me, usually less than 13 meters.
    Verizon Galaxy S5
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: GPS "Finding Location" Stays On

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I don't know if this is the same on the S5, but go to Settings>Location. You should see Mode. Click on it and select battery saving. That should still get you some access to location dependant apps but still not be like slaughtering your battery life.
    Thank you very much for the tip! I checked out location settings and was able to fix it!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    I have had that occur once in a while, especially with an app called "I am here".

    I use another app to get the GPS sync'd up with the satellites quickly, especially when there is a heavy cloud overcast. It is called GPS Status
    => https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sim.gpsstatus2

    What is neat about this app is that iTt contacts a database to get the current ephemeris which updates the phone's GPS "right now". Boom! The satellites lock in and the accuracy is unreal. For me, usually less than 13 meters.
    Thanks! I'm going to download that too
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,395 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GPS "Finding Location" Stays On

    Quote Originally Posted by google47 View Post
    Thank you very much for the tip! I checked out location settings and was able to fix it!
    Glad that helped. See you around the forums.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy Tab 10.1 will not power on
    By Steph Moss in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 10-inch
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 08:01 AM
  2. On screen buttons...
    By dhawk1202 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 09:49 AM
  3. Does anyone know if the Desire 816 will work on Verizon?
    By CannedBullets in forum HTC Desire 816
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 08:48 PM
  4. ATT MEGA 6.3 ON STRAIGHT TALK 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 DATA ISSUE FIX
    By Stephan Blake in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 06:29 PM
  5. Trying to find certain app
    By Patchyy94 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions