Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GPS "Finding Location" Stays On

Hi Everyone,

I've had my Galaxy S5 since it came out and haven't had any issues with it yet. All of a sudden this evening I noticed that when I got to the lockscreen that the GPS icon appeared in my notification bar. When I dragged down the bar it said "finding location" which was unclearable from the notification list. After unlocking the screen, sometimes the GPS icon will go away, and other times it just stays there.

Does anyone know why it'd randomly start doing this now and never happened before? Any way I can get it to avoid doing that without turning my GPS off? I'm just concerned about it draining my battery life, but don't want to lose the benefits of GPS staying on.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    19,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: GPS "Finding Location" Stays On

I don't know if this is the same on the S5, but go to Settings>Location. You should see Mode. Click on it and select battery saving. That should still get you some access to location dependant apps but still not be like slaughtering your battery life.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    alil25 

I have had that occur once in a while, especially with an app called "I am here".

I use another app to get the GPS sync'd up with the satellites quickly, especially when there is a heavy cloud overcast. It is called GPS Status
    => https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sim.gpsstatus2

What is neat about this app is that it contacts a database to get the current ephemeris which updates the phone's GPS "right now". Boom! The satellites lock in and the accuracy is unreal. For me, usually less than 13 meters.
    Verizon Galaxy S5
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I don't know if this is the same on the S5, but go to Settings>Location. You should see Mode. Click on it and select battery saving. That should still get you some access to location dependant apps but still not be like slaughtering your battery life.
    Thank you very much for the tip! I checked out location settings and was able to fix it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    I have had that occur once in a while, especially with an app called "I am here".

I use another app to get the GPS sync'd up with the satellites quickly, especially when there is a heavy cloud overcast. It is called GPS Status
    => https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sim.gpsstatus2

What is neat about this app is that iTt contacts a database to get the current ephemeris which updates the phone's GPS "right now". Boom! The satellites lock in and the accuracy is unreal. For me, usually less than 13 meters.
    Thanks! I'm going to download that too

Global Posts
    19,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by google47 View Post
    Thank you very much for the tip! I checked out location settings and was able to fix it!
    Glad that helped. See you around the forums.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here