Text's use data plan?

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Im no expert on these data plans or anything techie really. I had the unlimited plan with verizon,lost it with the upgrade. Im at 6gb a month so is wife. I barely go online to facebook and youtube but i go through my plan apparently in only a few days. So i've been turning off the mobile data icon on my phone and not going online unless im home where i'll connect to my wifi. But when i want to send texts or receive any that include images i can't, it says i need mobile data turned on. Can someone explain why i can't send pics in a text without and not wifi? Is there a way to check to see how much data i might be using unknowingly even with the mobile data off?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sending pics via text makes it an MMS message, not SMS. Android needs mobile data on to send and receive MMS--it doesn't work over wi-fi.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sending pics via text makes it an MMS message, not SMS. Android needs mobile data on to send and receive MMS--it doesn't work over wi-fi.

To add to this I've never seen MMS actually count towards your data allotment either. You must have data turned on though.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I am going to differ with you on this.

I have repeatedly sent MMS messages with DATA turned OFF and only using WiFi.

I just now did it to prove my point by sending myself a MMS message.

Here is the screen shot showing the sent message and the received message.

I am using Go SMS Pro application.

Attachments

• MMS via WiFi.jpg
    MMS via WiFi.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 39

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am going to differ with you on this.

I have repeatedly sent MMS messages with DATA turned OFF and only using WiFi.

I just now did it to prove my point by sending myself a MMS message.

Here is the screen shot showing the sent message and the received message.

I am using Go SMS Pro application.

What carrier? I've heard different requirements for different carriers. I believe its T-Mobile that allows it but I may be wrong. Verizon doesn't as far as I know but that may have changed. Does GoSMS send it through/receive the carriers MMS or does it route through their servers? Curious if the stock app would work.

My friend must have data on to receive texts through ATT.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What carrier? I've heard different requirements for different carriers. I believe its T-Mobile that allows it but I may be wrong. Verizon doesn't as far as I know but that may have changed. Does GoSMS send it through/receive the carriers MMS or does it route through their servers? Curious if the stock app would work.

My friend must have data on to receive texts through ATT.

I do believe that my signature plainly shows Verizon.
And I do not believe that the carrier has anything to do with it if you are using an MMS capable app such as Go SMS Pro.

I did NOT test this with the VZW app... IIRC though, that is probably the reason that I abandoned the VZW msg app because it wanted me to turn data ON.... I have fought Verizon for 15 years on things like this, and I always find a way around their stupid "restrictions".

It can be done... Mobile Hotspot is one that irritated me no end, but Foxfi stopped that crap 3 years ago on my Galaxy S.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
And I do not believe that the carrier has anything to do with it if you are using an MMS capable app such as Go SMS Pro.

I did NOT test this with the VZW app... IIRC though, that is probably the reason that I abandoned the VZW msg app because it wanted me to turn data ON.... I have fought Verizon for 15 years on things like this, and I always find a way around their stupid "restrictions".

It can be done... Mobile Hotspot is one that irritated me no end, but Foxfi stopped that crap 3 years ago on my Galaxy S.

I meant the phones stock application. Verizon Messaging isn't something I had even considered although I'm glad you mentioned it.

On a side note I wouldn't know you were using Verizon based on your signature. I'm using Tapatalk and it doesn't show forum signatures. I should have known by the 4G LTE symbol though. ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well that is confusing so... You mean that the person has to have GoSMS for this to be done? If it goes through their servers usually that means the other person needs that same app to recieve it.

If it uses the carrier for the MMS then it will send to anyone without an app since it's a normal MMS.

Also.. Yeah us on Tapatalk don't see the signature.. No need to be rude about it :). There are a lot of users and not everyone is going to remember everyone..

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Stock messaging apps definitely send MMS over mobile data. I wonder if 3rd party messaging apps like Go SMS are able to use some other way of sending MMS via wifi. There are a number of debates and discussions about this on several different sites.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
i didn't like the go sms app when i downloaded it. But yea it is annoying trying to send pics when i forget teh data is off. The message just keeps saying "sending" till mobile data is turned on.

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I found that I can send pics through one of my gmail apps. For some reason the phone has 2, depending on which i use, the pics will go through without the mobile data off, others wont. It drive me nuts that i have to use my mobile data to send pics in texts and emails.

were their other apps out there that you could find a back door way around the mobile data?