S5 Active and wireless charging

NYfan78

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So I am looking to upgrade to the s5 active from the HTC one m7. I love the idea of wireless charging. Is this possible on the Active???

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
There should be no difference in that aspect of the two phones.

There are several thin mylar only wafer thin Qi wireless receivers available.
One of which is the one that I have which does not create a bulge in the stock S5 case at all.

Take a peek, the price is super right, and a bonus is the charger pad comes with it also.
$18.99 and you get both the pad and the receiver?

* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine'

AugustArborists

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
My Active doesn't have the contacts beside the battery that the regular S5 has for the receiver, and the receivers may block the o-ring channel a bit on the regular S5 anyway. I would love wireless charging, but from what I see, it may not be possible. I hope I'm wrong though.

blackwaterstout

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I just purchased an s5 Active. I knew the s5 supported wireless charging and made the assumption of thinking the Active would be identical. Pretty disappointed when I found out the metal pins were missing in the battery compartment.

Has there been any new development here. the above response said samsung was working on a wireless charging solution. Was this just fluff or do you think it will happen?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
In this day and age, any phone that cannot be charged wirelessly is not worthy of being put on the market.

I also feel that way about phone batteries. Can't change the battery, not worth crap.

blackwaterstout

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
You would not believe the chat I am having with samsung. Can you not wireless charge with the s5 active???
Care to enlighten us as to what they said.

I'm loving my active so far but for the life of me can't understand how the designers would change this from the standard s5. You would think that wireless charging should be of the highest priority for a phone advertised as water resistent. I bought a QI kit for my wife's s5 and it works great. I'm jealous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I was told by Samsung accessories department that they should release wireless charging for g5 active in 2 to 3 months :(

It's looking like this was a line of crap they told. I really wish you could add Qi or PMA to this. It's absurd to me, and I'm really wishing I had went with the S5, and just bought a case. I bought the Active so I wouldn't need a case, and the extra bulk. But not having PMA with the stupid USB cover, really really sucks. I was originally thinking they could just offer a battery for this that would add it, but then it bypasses the charging control, and could overcharge the battery. Really wishing I would've checked into this better before buying the phone...

Butch100

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
NO, it will not work. The wireless charger is for the S5 only even though it pops up on Amazon when you type in S5 Active. The Active has a waterproof back that is slightly smaller than the S5. The charging back cover will NOT, repeat NOT fit on the S5 Active. If anyone who has an S5 wants the wireless charger and charging back cover for half price, I have them and cant use them.

Skip Plays

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Thristie, I ordered the wireless charging coil, for what I thought was the S5 Active, but when I received, and tried to put in, there is no internal contacts on the phone. I don't see how it can work. Do you have a secret?

mscheyhing

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
I followed the link that Thriste posted and it looks like these 'universal' wireless charger receivers are supposed to plug directly into the micro USB port. My question/concern is: will the S5 active's micro USB cover still fit over this plug (and be waterproof)? Otherwise it still doesn't make sense for the S5 active... Has anyone tried this?

scobb

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, with the S5 Active, you will have to leave the USB cover dangling to have the universal coil plugged in.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance