Thinking about getting the s5, but I have some questions

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the S5, but I have some questions if any of you can please help me out. Thanks!

1) Does the screen hurt your eyes after prolonged use or even brief use, compared to an LCD screen like the m8's?

2) Have you noticed any screen burn-ins? I went to a verizon store and two S5's have a screen burn in on the bottom right of the screen from one of the demo screens.

3) After a month or so of use, have you noticed the phone getting lag or more laggy?

4) Would you get the S5 now or wait for the G3?

5) Does the Verizon model have a lot of issues compared to the other carriers models?

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the S5, but I have some questions if any of you can please help me out. Thanks!

1) Does the screen hurt your eyes after prolonged use or even brief use, compared to an LCD screen like the m8's?

2) Have you noticed any screen burn-ins? I went to a verizon store and two S5's have a screen burn in on the bottom right of the screen from one of the demo screens.

3) After a month or so of use, have you noticed the phone getting lag or more laggy?

5) Does the Verizon model have a lot of issues compared to the other carriers models?

1) I have not had any issues looking at the screen for extended periods. I have watched a complete baseball game on it.

2) No screen burn-in here. It is a lot more difficult to get burn-in on an LCD. I can see it happening on a display model, due to constant static images.

3) For me, the phone runs just as smooth now as the day I got it. Bought it on the day they released it.

4) For me personally, while the G3 appears to be a nice phone, removable battery is a must for me, and I have had bad experiences with LG products in the past. Would still have the S5.

5) I am on Verizon and have had no issues with the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

icouldntpossiblycomment

May 5, 2014
Visit site

No, I actually have read a few full novels on it using the Kobo app!

Nope.

No, it seems just as fast, if not faster now that I've figured out what settings and apps are to my liking. I used TouchWiz up until a few days ago. I switched to Nova Launcher because I wanted to be able to change the icons.

I'm happy with the S5 but haven't done a lot of comparison to the G3. I needed a new phone and the S5 met my needs so I went with that.

N/A (not with Verizon so can't comment)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

1. No

2. No

3. No

4. Get the S5. I've never been fan of LG as a company.

5. No

Sorry for the extremely short answers. Heading to bed after I type this.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

I haven't got the S5 YET so I can only comment on no.4 and I say that you should go with the S5 over the G3. The LG skin is quite ugly in my opinion and the 2K screen is quite washed out.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
1.Nope
2. The reason why demo phone has screen burn-ins is because for one it's a demo phone and is left on all day and is being used constantly by consumers.
3. I use Nova Launcher Prime so I don't know much about TouchWiz but its better than the s4 from what I hear
4. Get the s5.
5. I can't speak for Verizon since I use att

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Screen is good, ready on my eyes.

No screen burn in at all.

The lag I'm having is while on phone and needing to look at phone for anything (look up something while talking, or keypad prompts, etc). The screen is blank as it should be against my face, but takes quite a while to come back on when I pull away to look at it, irritating.

I love everything else about phone and would get it again.

I'm on Sprint, sorry don't know about Verizon.

There are so many topics on this forum about this phone, you can find any other questions here somewhere...

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to worry about the screen burning in. That happens to display phones because they are powered on and messed with all day. The display on the S5 is fantastic...by far the best I have seen. I use Apex Launcher. I don't like TouchWiz...just a personal choice. The S5 is a very snappy phone. I have zero lag on mine. The battery life is incredible plus it charges very quickly. No need to worry about water damage because the S5 is water resistant. I can't comment on Verizon because I'm with AT&T. I would pick the S5 all over again...it's just a super device.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

It's kind of hard to recommend a phone(for or against) that has only been previewed in its international version and has not had a US release yet. If you are considering the G3 I would wait until you can try one in its US version.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
If I had to pick right this second, I think I would still pick the S5 because its size is right on the borderline of what I can use with one hand, and the screen is amazing, as are well-lit camera shots. With regards to #3, there were a couple weeks where my phone was feeling laggy with poor battery life, but it seems to have improved over the last couple of days. To me the big advantages to the G3 are OIS in the camera, 32 GB/3GB (not that I think that would make a huge difference in performance), and if you prefer LGs software features and would prefer a larger screen on a slightly larger device with some compromises associated with the increased resolution. However, the big question is what are you using now, and how desperate are you for a new phone? We are now almost 3 months into the S5's life cycle and there are too many rumors around a S5 Prime/Galaxy F to ignore - that is, I think there will be a refresh before the S6 next year. If rumors are true about Snapdragon 805, QHD screen, and OIS in the camera for whatever is being released in the fall, that is incredibly compelling as a spec junkie (I am less concerned about that having gotten the S5 at launch because 6 months of having the top end device is all you can expect nowadays). Of course there is a risk to waiting as such a device may not come to the US, so if you really need a new phone it is probably best to get what suits your needs now.

It's kind of hard to recommend a phone(for or against) that has only been previewed in its international version and has not had a US release yet. If you are considering the G3 I would wait until you can try one in its US version.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This is from my personal experience. I bought the HTC one M8 at first I just wanted to try something new. I always had Samsung products. Less than 14 days I returned the M8 due to Signal issues. The phone is nice overral but the signal is garbage. I returned the HTC and got my S5. So far this phone has been great. I have 372apps installed on my phone and I have zero lags. The screen is actually really good. I have a Verizon phone and I do not have any issues with my phone. I actually have two s5 one in black and the other is for my wife it's in white. The battery life is fantastic. Believe it or not a lot of people do not like the back cover of the s5 but you know what I think it feels great in the hand. I have a case for it two as well. I recommend incipio by the way. Speaker quality is good. Although it's not like the HTC but it can suffice. I hope I answered some of your questions

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm feeling more confident in getting an S5 though I haven't bought it, but may do so soon.

I am wondering how the call/data reception and quality has been for you all that are on Verizon?

Btw I'm coming from an HTC Resound from December 2011.

I may end up skipping the g3 as for one I don't want to wait that for it and it may have issues that I may not like that the g2 had (camera interface being slow for some shots, certain pics looking like paint, some browser lag with chrome, etc.) though I don't know for sure since we haven't had it in the US yet. Also, I don't know for sure if those g2 issues above have been fixed.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My service has been good. On the HTC my wife and I barely got any service. I always had good service on my Samsung phones. The S5 has good service I couldn't complain. I get consistent signals

Rav3nCroft

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering how the call/data reception and quality has been for you all that are on Verizon?

Btw I'm coming from an HTC Resound from December 2011.

My entire family changed to S5's (4 phones ) and everyone has been really happy. Verizon has the best reception around here so we haven't experienced any issues whatsoever. My previous phone was the HTC Thunderbolt so I wasn't sure if I'd like the Samsung or not. It's safe to say it blows that old phone away.

We did have to return one phone in the 14 day period due to an issue with the digitizer. The screen would flicker at times going in and out of apps. Sometimes it even caused the phone to reboot. Regardless, Verizon swapped it with a new phone and all is good.