Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Telephone requirement

Is there any way, in the S5 where I can refuse to accept calls but NOT texts; to anyone not in my address book.

And automatically send a text to those calls not in my address book stating:

"Sorry, you aren't in my addressbook so I can't accept your call. Please text me with your name and reason for the call and I'll ring you back. No name and reason = no call back."

This could be so useful to me.

Ampers.

Default Re: Telephone requirement

It looks like you can. In the phone app tap on the three vertical dots (menu) and choose settings/call/call rejections/auto reject list. Check unknown number. Tap the back button and choose set call rejection message. Tap create and enter your custom message. Hope it works.
    Thanked by:
    Mojave 

There are a handful of blocking apps that show you to block unknown callers from calling you in the Google play store. I'm unaware of they allow you to send an automated text message though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Rejecting "Unknown numbers" in the call settings may only screen out callers who do no display their number to recipients, while that's helpful it may not give you all the requirements of what you need. In addition to that you could turn on Blocking Mode. With that also enabled you can choose to block any calls from people not in your contact list, the call would not ring through. This will not send a text automatically but the caller would end up going to voicemail when unanswered. You can set this option by going to Settings>Blocking mode>at the top of that screen turn it on>make your desired selections>scroll down to Allowed contacts and tap that>select All contacts - which will limt your calls received to just those in your contact list.

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Make sure you put you phone number on the Do Not Call list at the .gov site if you haven't done it already. I'm guessing your trying to do this to screen Tel Marketers . The down side to what you are trying to do to is that you are letting everyone know that it is a good number.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ampers View Post
    Is there any way, in the S5 where I can refuse to accept calls but NOT texts; to anyone not in my address book.

And automatically send a text to those calls not in my address book stating:

"Sorry, you aren't in my addressbook so I can't accept your call. Please text me with your name and reason for the call and I'll ring you back. No name and reason = no call back."

This could be so useful to me.

Ampers.
    So can you try this:

Create a contact and call it BLOCKED for example. Going forward assign all unknown calls to that contact. From there send a text as you describe and only to those UK callers that you see fit, to their telephone number. The receiving number may [in all likelihood] have the ability to "hear by way of text to speech" the text you sent to their voice number. If it's a robocall then you haven't lost anything and their number will now come up blocked call. If it's a friend or colleague they'll get the message.