Hearing an ECHO

bacompute

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5 Friday and a LifeProof case. I brought it home and the first person I called couldn't even understand me because they kept hearing themselves echo. I spent over an hour with technical support on the phone Saturday afternoon and he finally told me to take the phone back and get them to exchange for a new one. I spend Sat. night in the Verizon store getting it exchanged, put the new phone in my LifeProof case, walked out of the store and called someone - - SAME problem. Went back into the store and they decided it was a faulty LifeProof case so exchanged and put my 'new phone' in my 'new case' - Called someone - - STILL hearing the echo. Anyone have any suggestions???
I love the phone but it is worthless if I can't talk on it.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Maybe change case ...that is ur problem ..life proof cases are known for that I had one on my S3 and same problem just return ur case and pick up otter box defender or see if the preserve case works better it's water proof too

sent from Mars using Moto g !

Tommy Goodwin

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Did you find a resolution for this? I just picked up an s5 and a lifeproof case and everyone I call hears an echo as well. I was thinking it might be those tabs on the screen, but after looking into that it looks like those are supposed to stay on. I am hoping you solved your problem and I can keep from having to drive over an hour to get to the store.

camille317

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
My husband just had the same thing happen to him yesterday. Finally got a savvy Verizon tech that found the problem was that there was an extra piece of tape on the INSIDE of the thumb print opening of the case and another extra piece of tape near the ear piece of the case. Once he removed both of these extra pieces of tape from the inside of the case, the phone did not have the echo problem.

Tommy Goodwin

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
My husband just had the same thing happen to him yesterday. Finally got a savvy Verizon tech that found the problem was that there was an extra piece of tape on the INSIDE of the thumb print opening of the case and another extra piece of tape near the ear piece of the case. Once he removed both of these extra pieces of tape from the inside of the case, the phone did not have the echo problem.
I thought that was the problem as well. It looked like there was a tab there to pull off, but I was told those are meant to be there for the waterproofing. that removing them would cause leaks. Is it working for you now?

ThrottleAbuse

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Just got an S5 last night and my GF is complaining when I talk to here she hears the echo on her phone. I have an Otterbox defender. Taking the case off doesn't help. Tried turning off the noise cancellation. That didn't help. When I remove the battery cover it goes away. So if the phone is out of the case and the battery cover is off she hears no echo. So anyone having the problem just needs to take their phone out of the case and remove the battery cover whenever they want to place a call... I hope someone else has a better solution. I get a warning to check the back cover on my phone sometimes. Not sure if that is related. Maybe the kids in the factory that put it together messed up some battery covers.

ThrottleAbuse

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I figured out that it didnt echo if on speaker phone or in my truck using bluetooth. So it has nothing to do with the SIM card as suggested on the VZW support forum. I went into a verizon store last night and they swapped mine out for a new phone. New one works fine. No echo.

daddyox

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I figured out that it didnt echo if on speaker phone or in my truck using bluetooth. So it has nothing to do with the SIM card as suggested on the VZW support forum. I went into a verizon store last night and they swapped mine out for a new phone. New one works fine. No echo.

Throttle Abuse- did you ever resolve without getting a new phone? Same exact problem...same phone. Thanks

Kevin_C_B

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
My wife's iPhone 5s had the same issue... turns out the generic screen protector the T-Mobile guy put on was covering the mic. This was causing a horrible echo which cleared up immediately upon removal.

Posted via Android Central App

foxisbubba#AC

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
had the same issue with this case:
Galaxy S5 Case, Spigen® [Non-Slip] [+Screen Shield] Samsung Galaxy S5 Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Smooth Black
Amazon refunded cost and now I am looking for a replacement that doesn't echo...

rsmnjjohns

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Bought a new galaxy s5 and lifeproof case yesterday. Horrible echo with case on, unless I'm on speaker. I have a simm card and micro sd. Took cover off and echo is gone.

Son had s3 with terrible echo. No case, no resolution. Well return my phone and never ever get another Samsung.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Bought a new galaxy s5 and lifeproof case yesterday. Horrible echo with case on, unless I'm on speaker. I have a simm card and micro sd. Took cover off and echo is gone.

Son had s3 with terrible echo. No case, no resolution. Well return my phone and never ever get another Samsung.

The lifeproof cases cause the echo. The first batch (which most stores still have are the bad batch) are defective. I given one and did a warranty claim and my replacement has no problems at all. I don't use it on a daily basis but when I do, no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

ThrottleAbuse

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Throttle Abuse- did you ever resolve without getting a new phone? Same exact problem...same phone. Thanks

No. I got a new phone when I went into the VZW store. It had no echo with our without the case. Oddly enough now with my Defender on it it makes the echo, but only if you have the rubber outer part of the case on. If you take the outer rubber part off the echo goes away. Or with the case completely off there is no echo. What a PITA. And now I am of course out of the 14 day window for a brand new phone. Maybe I should have gotten a LG G3

The lifeproof cases cause the echo. The first batch (which most stores still have are the bad batch) are defective. I given one and did a warranty claim and my replacement has no problems at all. I don't use it on a daily basis but when I do, no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

I wonder if Otterbox Defenders have the same issue with earlier models. I will try and contact Otterbox. If not I am going to try the Urban Armor Gear

Travis Crouch

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have removed all the tape from my case and still have the issue. The only way I have found to stop the echo problem is before you make or answer a call, pop the charge port cover open. This solves the problem for the echo, but not for the faulty case. Until Life Proof realizes they have a really bad issue with this case this is the only solution. Hope this helps.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I have removed all the tape from my case and still have the issue. The only way I have found to stop the echo problem is before you make or answer a call, pop the charge port cover open. This solves the problem for the echo, but not for the faulty case. Until Life Proof realizes they have a really bad issue with this case this is the only solution. Hope this helps.

Have you gotten a replacement case? I have one of the new ones and have no problems with it.

Mark Bailey2

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
it 's a known problem on the lifeproof site all they say to do its Aneasy fix and blow into the mic and it will relieve the pressure and stop the echo

Benjamin Sinclair

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I stuffed a tiny piece of cotton inside the case filling up the gap where the mic is located. It seems to have helped feedback problem a little bit.Phone: Samsung s3 with Lifeproof case.

Last edited:

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You guys have some serious protective cases on your phones sheesh. I use a thin boby glove case. The raised border keeps the phone from falling flat on the screen. And it protects the back. I wanted to keep that thin feel and I didnt want anything on this great screen. This case has been on this phone since april. No problems. I used lifeproof and otterbox when I used I phones. This phone is quite more durable. But to each his own..

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 20141216_063450.jpg
    20141216_063450.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20141216_063421.jpg
    20141216_063421.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 23

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members