Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Loss of quality when uploading Galaxy S5 photos to Facebook

I've been on numerous forums and I've asked the Facebook community and even tried tech support with Samsung, all to no avail. I'm hoping that this issue isn't just me and that others may have an idea of what's happening.

So here's my issue:
    - Photos taken with the Galaxy S5 are a brilliant 5312x2988px in resolution.
    - Uploading pictures with the Facebook app on my S5 makes the 5312x2988px pictures 960x540px on facebook.
    - Uploading pictures with my previous Android device with an 8 megapixel camera were uploaded as 2048x1154px, much higher than the S5.

I can't seem to find any settings anywhere that are causing my high definition pictures to upload at a much worse quality to facebook. I don't expect to get full resolution, but I expect to at least be able to achieve the same upload resolution that my previous phone was getting.

Does anyone at all know what's going on? I'm at the point where I don't even want to upload photos to facebook anymore because the quality is so bad compared to the original photo I took.
    Last edited by Dustbury; 06-16-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Default Re: Loss of quality when uploading Galaxy S5 photos to Facebook

It has nothing to do with your phone, it the compression that Facebook uses when storing your pictures. I think this has more to do with size of the file rather than pixel size.

My suggestion would be to lower your phone camera resolution a bit and see if the compression level is less to facebook. I have noticed this issue myself, but havent cared enough to really do much about it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I've actually tried uploading different resolutions of the same photo (100%, 75%, 50%) and they all default to 960x540px. What's weird is that I can transfer the very same high quality photo from my phone to my computer and upload to facebook from my computer at 2048x1152px.

So what I don't understand is why the same photo uploaded from my computer yields a much better resolution than uploading from my Galaxy S5. My previous device was able to upload at higher qualities, too, but it was only running Android 2.0 if that has anything to do with it.

Are you uploading over data or WiFi
    Because lil while back I ready a thing about some carriers don't let you upload at HD quality on the data . I may be wrong

Posted via At&t SAMSUNG GALAXY S5
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I've done a mixture of uploading via WiFi and using data, same degrade in resolution each time.

This is facebook, they are doing it more and more these days and seem to be compressing photos to miniscule sizes. I guess as most people put a grainy filter on their photos, facebook might think nobody will notice

I don’t know this for fact, but if you ever upload from a computer to Facebook you have the option to upload a higher resolution file – I can’t recall what the option is called right now. I’m going to guess that the mobile app just doesn’t offer a higher resolution option in the interest of keeping data transfers to a minimum. I have noticed they are tiny once uploaded from the phone compared to the originals, but haven’t inspected the options.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

After your responses it got me thinking a little and I refined my Google searching a bit and finally found a solution!

If you want full quality (or at least full quality for facebook which is 2,048px × 1,152px) uploading pics from your Galaxy to Facebook, upload using Facebook in your mobile browser, not by using the app. It's a little less convenient but it certainly beats waiting until you find a computer to upload with instead.

I went through all of the settings within the Facebook app and I couldn't find anything that I could change with regards to resolution. It looks like uploading using the browser form of Facebook will work for now until this gets resolved with future app updates.

Facebook is for sharing funny postage-sized pictures. It's not for archiving your precious family photos.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

I suppose alternatively you could upload to Flickr (or another site – I use Flickr) and share on Facebook as well. If you really, really wanted for people to be able to get access to the full resolution and quality of the originals – they could follow the links to the full resolution pictures.

I personally keep my Flickr, Youtube, and Vimeo separate from my old high school friends, etc. on Facebook. Not like they couldn’t find it if they wanted to, but I choose not to mingle them together. That’s just me though.

Flickr would be fairly convenient for that purpose though. I’m not sure what they would display like inside the Facebook page or app. The Flickr app has come a long, long way attempting to compete with Instagram.

Sir, please Help me, I am using Samsung galaxy S5 G900F,, when i play it 360p or 480p video, then it support full screen video resolution(mode), But when i play 720p, 1080p video, then it does not support full screen resolution video(mode) , How can i play 720,1080p video at full screen mode?

I have a question, it's a bit off topic though. Why do I feel like every video I watch outside of youtube looks really poor? Is there a problem w the s5 video quality?