How to get camera to expose properly for backlighting

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
In other phone cameras you just tapped the screen where you wanted it to focus and the camera would expose properly for that subject. This is particularly important if the subject is backlit. Not so the camera in the S5 it seems. It will focus on the desired object with a simple tap but the overall exposure is still for the overall frame leaving the intended subject terribly underexposed.

Is there any workaround for this or anything else I may have missed?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1402944106634.jpg
    1402944106634.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 58

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
In other phone cameras you just tapped the screen where you wanted it to focus and the camera would expose properly for that subject. This is particularly important if the subject is backlit. Not so the camera in the S5 it seems. It will focus on the desired object with a simple tap but the overall exposure is still for the overall frame leaving the intended subject terribly underexposed.

Is there any workaround for this or anything else I may have missed?

i saw a demostration on how to use the camera functions on youtube but i forgot the link. There is a way to do it.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
With my Canon, I would meter the lighting for the background and force the flash for the foreground exposure. Haven't tried this with the S5 tho.

Fastfwd

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
If you turn off the HDR you’ll get your options back for changing the ‘Metering Modes’ and the ‘Spot’ mode option is probably what you are looking for. ‘Center Weighted’ may also be ‘centered’ around the focus point, but possibly more balanced than ‘Spot?’ I haven’t tinkered with it on the phone yet. I have used these various modes on other cameras and tend to leave it in ‘Matrix’ if I recall.

The HDR seems to work incredibly well though for that matter – not sure if it would be an improvement or if you’ll just get really blown out photos for everything but your weighted ‘Spot.’

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
If you turn off the HDR you’ll get your options back for changing the ‘Metering Modes’ and the ‘Spot’ mode option is probably what you are looking for. ‘Center Weighted’ may also be ‘centered’ around the focus point, but possibly more balanced than ‘Spot?’ I haven’t tinkered with it on the phone yet. I have used these various modes on other cameras and tend to leave it in ‘Matrix’ if I recall.

The HDR seems to work incredibly well though for that matter – not sure if it would be an improvement or if you’ll just get really blown out photos for everything but your weighted ‘Spot.’

Thank you. Spot metering was the answer. But, as you said, it's only available if you disable the HDR circuit. Here's the perfectly exposed subject using spot metering :

Attachments

• 1403024065254.jpg
    1403024065254.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 35

Fastfwd

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
You're welcome - I might additionally suggest using the flash. Even in the daylight. It might tone down some of that blown out background, but maybe that's what you wanted. You my additionally adjust the exposure manually if you were seeking to try to tone down the blown out background, but maybe you were looking to crop that out, etc. You could optionally boost the exposure manually with another metering mode to bring up your flowers and keep the background more balanced.

I think I use Center Weighted on my stand alone still cameras now that I think about it. It's handy to know those options exist.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. Spot metering was the answer. But, as you said, it's only available if you disable the HDR circuit. Here's the perfectly exposed subject using spot metering :

I think I'd try that shot again. Spot metering is measuring the light. Try turning the flash ON and "meter" the background (cars and trees). But maybe there is no way to do that since you can't keep the shutter button depressed while you rearrange the shot. Or skip that and just use the flash. Got nothing to lose :) I know this phone can't do what a real camera can but in this example, my sil and grandson were under a veranda (shaded). If I hadn't used the flash, they would be under exposed. Using the flash, foreground and background are properly exposed...not super sharp but properly exposed :D
C&T-Duckcall1.jpg

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Well never mind. I couldn't get it to work on the S5 like it does on a real camera. Tired several settings using and not using IS and HDR. Sorry.

Fastfwd

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Well never mind. I couldn't get it to work on the S5 like it does on a real camera. Tired several settings using and not using IS and HDR. Sorry.

I don’t think I read your post correctly the first time through. You’re right though. As the other poster suggested as well – using the flash should help the exposure without blowing out the background. It might be better off without the ‘spot’ metering too. That’s sort of what it’s for though, but that is a rather extreme lighting scenario he’s working with.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

For the type of background lighting you are talking about, I had the same exact problem with my very expensive Sony DSLR.

I found that for me, it is best to use the "Spot Mode" and point the spot at something that is the level you want it to meter to. Then w/o removing your finger from the "half-set mode", move the camera to center the subject like you want it and press harder to make it take a picture.

I don't think the stock camera app can accommodate that type of action. What I have done is to use spot, and press the screen where I want it to meter. Then take the picture.

IF you will always use the 16 mega Pixel mode and full screen view, you will be able to edit the photo afterwards to frame it like you want.

Marty Schoo

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Solution: Tap for Exposure on Samsung S5 Camera

1. In camera settings menu switch HDR setting Off
2. In camera settings menu switch meter mode to the Spot setting
3. Put your subject in the very centre of the frame so the camera can get focus and exposure.
4. Press and HOLD the shutter button. You can now reframe your shot to have your subject elsewhere in your photo composition
5. Letting the shutter button go will take the photo.

Tip: when metering with spot mode the exposure of your subject can shift quite a bit because the spot is quite small. Move your subject around a fraction in the centre of the frame until your desired exposure is met (usually your subjects face/skin is the best area to spot meter from). Then HOLD shutter button to allow you to recompose your shot before letting it go.

Enjoy! :cool:

Marty Schoo

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Solution: Tap for Exposure on Samsung S5 Camera

1. In camera settings menu switch HDR setting Off
2. In camera settings menu switch meter mode to the Spot setting
3. Put your subject in the very centre of the frame so the camera can get focus and exposure.
4. Press and HOLD the shutter button. You can now reframe your shot to have your subject elsewhere in your photo composition
5. Letting the shutter button go will take the photo.

Tip: when metering with spot mode the exposure of your subject can shift quite a bit because the spot is quite small. Move your subject around a fraction in the centre of the frame until your desired exposure is met (usually your subjects face/skin is the best area to spot meter from). Then HOLD shutter button to allow you to recompose your shot before letting it go.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair