Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Networks

Hi all,

I'm confused as to what network I should have my S5 connected to in order to maximize battery life. I recently had a booster installed at my place for better reception and I'm showing full signal most of the time but my battery still dies pretty quick. Fastest than it should. I was wondering if this had to do with the type of network. For example if disabled LTE than would this save me battery life?

Attached is a screen shot of what I have available and what I have recently chosen as a network this evening.

Carrier is Telus in which we have 3G 4G and LTE available. At my home location LTE is not available yet.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Networks-1402970567786.jpg  

Default Re: Networks

It shouldn't matter to much unless the signal is bad. The first one that has LTE is basically everything, the one you have is usually 4g HSPA... Then GSM only would mean only calls and text messages.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    It shouldn't matter to much unless the signal is bad. The first one that has LTE is basically everything, the one you have is usually 4g HSPA... Then GSM only would mean only calls and text messages.

But I should see battery improvement without LTE enabled correct? If LTE is barely available or weak then the handset would use more battery power switching from network to network correct?

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    But I should see battery improvement without LTE enabled correct? If LTE is barely available or weak then the handset would use more battery power switching from network to network correct?

Yes if it's weak. If not it shouldn't make a huge impact.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post

When the signal is weak or not there the phone uses more power searching for a better signal. Usually the most battery friendly network is when it's on wifi.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Hummmm, I know nothing about this. I'm out in the country. My 4G symbol has the LTE next to it. I looked under Networks/Preferred network mode and Global is selected. Rarely leave Texas much less the country so I'm thinking I don't need that? My other choices are LTE/CDMA and SSM/UMTS. I must not be on the same screen as the OP.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I'm in Canada, or networks and phones are very different. Even the networks in some spots. Different model number of handsets all together as well